• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 4: NC A&T Aggies - LJVM - 4 pm ACCN+ ESPN+

Pilchard

Reaction score
Before getting into the preview of NC A&T, here is the update on WF through the first 3 games. While it's great to be 3-0, WF has only risen from #105 to #102 in the KP rankings through yesterday's game against CSU. The 3 teams that WF have beaten aren't very good: W&M #296 is 0-3, WCU #298 is 1-2 and CSU #341 is 0-2 (against D1 programs). KP currently projects WF to finish the regular season at 15-15 7-13 in the ACC (13th out of 15 in the ACC). So, as the wise Mr. Wolf said: "Let's not start sucking each other's dicks yet", lots of season to go:

NC A&T: On Saturday, WF faces it's toughest opponent to date, #250 NC A&T. The Aggies, coached by Will Jones (3rd year), are 0-3, losing to UNCG (#171) 57-53, to J'ville (#272), and S. Florida (#196) 56-54. As indicated by the low scores, A&T has played at a slow tempo to date as no game has involved more than 69 possessions. In contrast, WF's three games have averaged 76 possessions, including 80 last night against CSU. In addition to the slow pace, the Aggies offense has been dreadful so far as they are shooting 46% from 2 (#232), 20% from 3 (#340) and have an effective FG% of 40% (#328). Really bad. While the Aggie offense has been putrid, the defense has been solid as A&T has held opponents to 41.5% effective FG% (#36) and only 27% from 3 (#71). As detailed below, the Aggies are an older team (#72 in experience), and really heavily on their starting 5 (#248 in bench minutes). On the season, A&T has lost the rebounding battle (-29), but won the turnover battle (+12). Also, A&T left the MEAC (#32) to join the Big South(#27)this year. A&T plays a non-D1 team (Greensboro College) tonight.

A&T starters:

PG Kameron Langley 6-2 Sr.: leads team in minutes and assists; second in boards; career 59% FT shooter, worse this year 36%; 32% from 3 in his career;
SG Tyler Maye 6-1 Sr.: started at VCU; team leader in scoring (12 ppg); crazy stat: guard who leads the team in scoring, and yet, has not attempted a 3 on the season (only attempted one all of last year; that said, can finish around the basket 50% FG%
G/F David Beatty 6-2 Sr.: started at S. Carolina, then LaSalle, now A&T: double figures in the last two games, has struggled from deep this year (20%), but shot 36% for LaSalle in 2021; scored in double figures 20 times last year
F Demtric Horton 6-5 Jr.: transfer from Purdue Fort Wayne; dreadful start to the season (28% FG%; 15% from 3), did shoot 37% from 3 last year
C Harry Morrice 6-11 Jr.: from Scotland; limited minutes; unproductive scorer to date (4 points on the season) did grab 10 boards against USF; leads team in blocks with 4 per game

The bench:
F Marcus Watson 6-5 Fr.: played as a true frosh at NM State last year; team leader in rebounds (6 rpg), 2nd in points scored; has not attempted a 3
C Justin Whatley 6-9 Sr.: started at ECU, then NC Central, now A&T; started the first two games this year, part-time starter last year: 1 for 9 from 3; shot 42% last year; only played 2 minutes last time out
G/F Jeremy Robinson 6-5: didn't play in the opener; scored 9 points against USF; 2 for 5 from 3 on the season

The A&T roster is still in flux, and reinforcements are coming, UCF transfer Collin Smith (13 ppg) is expected to be eligible for the Spring Semester; in 2021 recruiting class, A&T landed Duncan Powell 6-8 four star recruit from Texas (highest rated recruit in A&T history), decommitted from Arkansas, but Powell is coming off a knee injury and has yet to play this year. Don't think he is expected to play against WF.

Bottom line: KP projects a 76-63 WF win. Given the current roster limitations, looks like A&T will follow the same script of its first three games: try to slow the game down and limit possessions. While A&T wasn't projected to be a great shooting team, their atrocious shooting start to the season should improve as the season goes on. WF has major size advantages at every position, but even so, A&T has defended very well to start the year. Don't expect Saturday's game to be the early blowout like the W&M and CSU games were as A&T hopes to force WF into grinding out its possessions. Unlike WF's first three opponents, A&T has been able to avoid TOs. If WF can force TOs and turn up the tempo, WF should be able to get the cover, but this is not the auto bet spot that the first three games were (realize WF didn't cover against WCU, but the matchup was favorable). If the total is 139 or more (KP's number), would take the under. Otherwise, this looks a like a "pass".

Last edited:
"Well, let's NOT start sucking each other's dicks quite yet" is a great (and appropriate) line.

This is another win that will never be in doubt. I think our aggressive defense should help against a team that wants to slow it down, as we should be able to speed them up a bit (and hopefully still generate some fast break points). I'm also interested in seeing us run a halfcourt offense a little more often than we've had to thusfar. Feels like it'll also be a good test of our rebounding... Will need to keep them off the offensive glass.

Agree that it's not an auto bet... I may leave some dry powder for next week's games in Florida. But I don't think we'll ever stress the outcome of this one.

Give me the Deacs - 75-55.

KP currently projects WF to finish the regular season at 5-15

Wow. So after Wake beats NC A&T, KP only projects one more win. :(

Quick A&T update:

The Aggies played Greensboro College (I think they are D3) last night, and A&T didn't solve their offensive problems. A&T led by only 3 at the half, and eeked out a 8 point win. The Aggies again struggled to shoot: 24% from 3, 48% from 2, 55% from the line.

Also, Robinson and Watson started. Maye and Horton came off the bench. Maye led A&T in scoring with 18. No three point attempts. After another pathetic offensive showing for NC A&T, if WF is favored by 14 or less, "buy" the Deacs.

I remember back in the CP3 days Wake played A&T. Wake was the rpi#1 team and A&T was dead last. #300-something. Only game I’ve ever sat courtside.

ACCNX Help?

I subscribe to Youtube Tv. Apparently, ACCNX is not part of the package.
Any ideas onhow to get ACCNX without switching to another provider? Can I access through anESPN + subscription? Online info on ACCN and ACCNX is sparse and often contradictory. Thanks for any suggestions.

Any ideas onhow to get ACCNX without switching to another provider? Can I access through anESPN + subscription? Online info on ACCN and ACCNX is sparse and often contradictory. Thanks for any suggestions.

If you get ACC Network on Youtube TV then you should be able to view events on ACCNX on the ESPN website by logging in with Youtube Tv as your provider. If somehow you can't login with Youtube TV as your provider on ESPN.com to get ACCNX, most (if not all) ACCNX events can be accessed through ESPN+ as well.

It's part of the package, it's just not in the first grid of providers. There's a search line, just type youtube and you'll see it. Then it'll do a sign-in for your yttv account and you'll be set.

I have youtube tv and downloaded the espn+ app on my smart tv and am able to get ACCNX. On my "non" smart tvs I was not able to access ACCNX although I get ACCN. So I think you need a smart tv, at least that is my experience.

I used Fubu.tv for the Wake-State FB game and it worked great. 7-day free trial.

Wake Forest -15.5. Probably a pass for me, even though I expect us to cover that.

A&T has a British big man too. That’s cool.

Kwe Parker is still on the A&T roster. He was in the 2016 HS class with Brandon Childress and Harry Giles.

Looks like he hasn’t played this year.

Back