• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 7: Hampton Pirates - Saturday 12:30 pm - ACCN

I’ve only watched a couple of games, so can y’all who are really high on carr fill me in on what you see? I see someone who plays a little soft, isn’t a stretch, and needs to gain a lot of weight to be a good big man.

You’re correct.

Let’s see what he can do with another offseason of S/T but comparing this dude to LaRavia is a crime against basketball takes.

First dook/UNC struggles do not equal Wake struggles in the early season. They don't mesh, the are at the back of the top 20 or an 8 seed in the NCAA unless the wheels fall off. We are highly dependent on the pieces coming together in the right way and sooner than later. I think the reason for optimism is that, in the past, we would have one or two guys we needed to step up, this year we have more of a selection of players (i.e. Bradford, would like to see him contribute consistently, but we have other options that can step up).

Sure the team is not cohesive right now, but you can see some of the parts and what the thought process is. For example, the guard and most of the team realizes if they feed Marsh 1 ft from the basket he's gonna dunk. It looks like part of our offense. Klintsman getting 15-10 shows his upside, up until the last game it wasn't on display.

If there was some sort of 'fan-o-meter' that tracked fan feelings and emotions from each game live it might look like:

Fairfield - oh no we are not good
UGA - 1st half we are going to the NCAA 2nd half - uh oh
UVA - oh my god what's going on, wait amazing play to win, it will be ok
LaSalle - We still need some work it but it will be ok
LMU - 1st half, we are not good lets guard that guy, 1st half of 2nd half we are not going anywhere. Next 9 minutes they have heart ground them down. Last min oh no we are not going anywhere.
SC State - End of the day we crush them and optimism creeps back in.

Last year, at this point we had some questionable games. Manman saved a couple of those. We didn't know if he could do it against the rest of the ACC. That's where we are now (short of a couple of superman games), Appleby looks like the PG you want, can he do it as the competition steps up?

The season starts at Wisc. If we have a chance for the NCAAT, those are the games you have to win. Win there LMU is an aberration.

Mich, how do you define fundamentally sound?

NC State beats Dayton and almost beats Kansas. I think State has little chance of making the tournament but at this point much better than us. They have a first round pick at guard which could help them down the stretch.

ACC has three really good teams right now, UVA, Duke and UNC. ACC has five really bad teams right now, UL, BC, FSU, GT and Cuse. State, Wake, Miami, VT and ND are the middle. Of the middle 5 two will move up and 3 will fall to the bottom. At this point it’s all just an opinion but ACC gets 5 maybe 6 teams in. Weak schedules and early losses will bury many of our teams by mid December.

Hard to define in text unless you know what you're looking at. But Carr always keeps the ball high. He makes very efficient moves with the ball. He plays solid straight up D, boxes out and rebound well. And whoever said he isn't a stretch 4 and for Strick who agreed with it - lol - what a horrible take. He led Delaware in 3pt FG%. He has a good shot and is pretty effortless from the line.

There's a reason Carr has 3rd most ppg for the team right now and people aren't even recognizing him. He's super quiet efficient.

I'm not saying he has first round talent. Jake is more athletic and that goes far in the NBA. But Carr is a very smart, solid player who is going to do really well for us.
Mich, how do you define fundamentally sound?

Maybe I am still bitter about the way last season ended. There seems to be a lot of hopium this season.

Maybe I am still bitter about the way last season ended. There seems to be a lot of hopium this season.

My expectations for this season are based on much better guard play. Turnovers are down even compared to cupcake season last year. There is no spectacular Manman. What there is, is a group of guys who are really good. Williamson, Appleby, Ituka, Hildreth, Taylor. Forbes can rotate guards, keep them fresh, and not lose much skill level when the "bench guys" are playing.

Collectively, this year's bigs are at least as good as last year's. And they have a lot more room to improve. Nobody right now looks to be as good as Jake was last year. However, Klintman and Keller are true freshmen. They're pretty good now. They should get better as they get familiar with college ball, Forbes system, and their new team mates. Carr seems to have brought with him what he showed against Villanova for Delaware.

Monsanto is slowly figuring out that both legs work and he can do more than bomb away. I expect to see continued improvement and expansion of his game as he continues to work through his grief.

Marsh seems to have figured out some stuff about how to get himself positioned for dunks and rebounds. Half dozen of each per game will go a long way. It's much easier to get integrated with team mates when you're on the practice court with them and not stuck in passport/visa limbo or concussion protocol.

Bradford has his moments...and five fouls available in the post.

In summary, the current Deacs don't have the two super tall tent poles last year's team had. However,this team has a lot of guys who can get 15-20 points some games. Box scores with four guys in double figures won't surprise me.

This team defends better than last year's, both individually and collectively.

Defense, quality depth and better ball handling will take this team further than last year's went.

carr seems fine as your fifth best starter. tbh his shooting mechanics are similar to what you see from women (likely offensive)

his career 3pt% is 34%, which is acceptable if that turns out to be the case.

Carr's shooting form reminds me of a skinny Matt Bonner.

That's not a bad thing.

Obviously there is no one on this team as good as the top 2 last year but I do think this team is deeper and more talented all around. In bball though, sometimes it’s better to have 1-2 great players than 5-8 good ones.

Obviously there is no one on this team as good as the top 2 last year but I do think this team is deeper and more talented all around. In bball though, sometimes it’s better to have 1-2 great players than 5-8 good ones.
Agree wholeheartedly with sentence #1 but with fouls, pace of the game now and injuries, I differ on #2. See Butler and Villanova

You’re correct.

Let’s see what he can do with another offseason of S/T but comparing this dude to LaRavia is a crime against basketball takes.

Really bad takes on this thread regarding Carr. Wasn't it Forbes himself, just before the season began, that said Carr was just as talented as LaRavia except he wasn't as good a dribbler as LaRavia. Carr has plenty of talent and upside.

LaRavia was unguardable in the UNC game. Got his own shot against any Power 5 team we played. I’ll be thrilled if Carr does that this year. Thrilled.

LaRavia was unguardable in the UNC game. Got his own shot against any Power 5 team we played. I’ll be thrilled if Carr does that this year. Thrilled.

Yeah, and he’s getting rotation minutes on a playoff team in the NBA.

I’ll be on the lookout to see how he develops (and TBF he was sick when I saw him live vs. SCSU), but at the same stage in both players’ development, there’s just no way. Jake was a special talent. We’ll see if we can say the same about Carr in a couple years.

Back