• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Me Too [Cuomo joins hall of shame]

Was it sexual assault when my gf and her roommate painted my toenails ten different colors while I was sleeping naked under the covers in her room?

This one, like many other similar stories, is complicated. When one adult says to another adult "I need to kiss you" and the other adult says "ok", it's hard not to call that consent, even if it is "unwanted". Power dynamics clearly make assigning blame in this and most of the other situations a little more straightforward. And what constitutes "consent" less clear. But I generally have a problem in these cases taking all agency away from women. Clearly this is not the case with a 14-year old who can't consent.

Regarding the photo: while clearly in bad taste and gross, if he doesn't actually touch her is there any recourse?

I also don't have any loyalty whatsoever to Louis CK, but I don't understand WTF a woman would join a powerful man in his hotel room. The problem here seems to be that powerful men can just do whatever they want and women that don't comply suffer the consequences of that power. I don't mean this to victim-blame, though I suppose it probably ends up being as much. The world is a complicated place.

Last edited:
A comic (that's what he was then) posing for a silly picture is not sexual assault. If you look at his left hand, you can see space between his fingers and her vest.

HTTP3JzOTIucGJzcmMuY29tL2FsYnVtcy9sMTcvaW5kaWdvbGRlbi9zbWlsZXlzLzQtMS5naWZjiaYzIwMAloglog.gif

I didn't say it was OK. But it's not sexual assault and there is a difference. He absolutely owes her an apology, but it's a nothing event.

Did you read the article? You clearly have not. The picture in and of itself is not the issue.

Did you read the article? You clearly have not. The picture in and of itself is not the issue.

I did read the article and ALL I responding to was the picture and have specifically said that multiple times.

CNN and MSNBC are each saying it was "mock groping" not groping.

oh, CNN and MSNBC say nothingburger?

you don't say. political football

AGAIN RIF, they simply reported that the picture, not the story, was mock groping.

Townie, I bet you didn't neg your buddy 09 for saying :"
Regarding the photo: while clearly in bad taste and gross, if he doesn't actually touch her is there any recourse?"

Which is all I've said.

It's hard to be surprised by anyone anymore, but this Franken stuff is a bummer. Regardless of my own feelings though, this was inappropriate behavior and should have consequences attached.

I did read the article and ALL I responding to was the picture and have specifically said that multiple times.

CNN and MSNBC are each saying it was "mock groping" not groping.

Who gives a shit about the picture RJ? What about the actions that the rest of the article talks about?

Is Sen. Franken stepping down an appropriate consequence? I tend to think so, but am curious as to other people's thoughts.

Yes. And I say that as someone who has fuckin' loved Al Franken since the mid-90s. But, he gets no pass from me. We (i.e., Americans) need to hold our elected officials to the very highest standards. It's a shame that's not currently the case (see, e.g., President Dipshit), but that needs to be our national expectation. There are a lot of competent Americans out there who don't sexually harass or molest or assault other people.

Maybe I'm just naive but I have not heard about this type of behavior occurring with people i know, male or female. Perhaps there is a correlation between having the type of personality (or sociopathic tendency?) that is required to achieve a high level of fame/success and this type of behavior?

AGAIN RIF, they simply reported that the picture, not the story, was mock groping.

Townie, I bet you didn't neg your buddy 09 for saying :"
Regarding the photo: while clearly in bad taste and gross, if he doesn't actually touch her is there any recourse?"

Which is all I've said.
Well, first of all, RJ, the part of my post you quoted was a question and did not assume that I know all the facts. Your posts are almost always statements of fact, regardless of whether or not you actually know anything about the topic.

Secondly, I'd like to think that my post was a thoughtful response to a situation that I find complicated -- a position that is informed by other recent situations in my own life and nationally. There was nothing partisan in my post. The same can't be said of your response.

I bet there are a whole bunch of men in the US house and the senate with their fingers crossed right now that no one comes forward about them. Seems like Franken is at the head of the line.

Maybe I'm just naive but I have not heard about this type of behavior occurring with people i know, male or female. Perhaps there is a correlation between having the type of personality (or sociopathic tendency?) that is required to achieve a high level of fame/success and this type of behavior?

Could also be that achieving a high level of fame/success causes one to exhibit this type of behavior.

Well, first of all, RJ, the part of my post you quoted was a question and did not assume that I know all the facts. Your posts are almost always statements of fact, regardless of whether or not you actually know anything about the topic.

Secondly, I'd like to think that my post was a thoughtful response to a situation that I find complicated -- a position that is informed by other recent situations in my own life and nationally. There was nothing partisan in my post. The same can't be said of your response.

Just because I post something doesn't mean I stated it as "fact". You keep on saying that and I keep telling you it's not that way. Why do you get to tell me what I think, when I categorically tell you over and over and over again that your concepts are wrong?

What gives you that right?

How many more times will you do that before you give me the same courtesy I offer you?

Be specific and show me what I said was partisan?

MY bad, by definition, anything I say is to you.

I agree with Numbers and Say Hey. It sucks because I think Franken does a hell of a job in the Senate. Is this on the same level as what Roy Moore has done (pedophilia)? Of course not, but as we have discussed earlier in this thread, unwanted sexual touching and advancing past the point of comfort for women is clearly unacceptable and the members of our government need to be held to a basic standard of not violating the personal space and rights of other human beings.

Just because I post something doesn't mean I stated it as "fact". You keep on saying that and I keep telling you it's not that way. Why do you get to tell me what I think, when I categorically tell you over and over and over again that your concepts are wrong?

MY bad, by definition, anything I say is to you.

He states, as a fact...

Back