• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Me Too [Cuomo joins hall of shame]

Nobody wants to prosecute you for saying offensive things. They want to use free speech to call you out and shame you for it. The anti-PC movement wants to curb that free speech.

This is wrong. Full stop.

How many sources for you being wrong do you want?

How about the boards where plenty of things commie libs have said is met with “you’re being politically correct” from those on the right? Doubt there are many on here who have advocated for criminalizing free speech. I’ll take links on that as well

sure, i'll take some links on this one

http://www.debate.org/opinions/should-hate-speech-be-protected-as-free-speech

Here is an interactive webpage from debate.org. 29% of the respondents want to curtail hate speech. There are a variety of opinions expressed on that side, but here's an excerpt from a given opinion:

Because of those ignorant, homophobic, right-wing, gun-toting rednecks who routinely shout their "Kill all fags" and justify their disgusting behavior with "I have freedom of speech" -- "free speech" has made our nation more dangerous by forcibly making us put up with their insensitive, bigoted and intolerant hate-mongering. And because of this, our government needs to ensure that we attain and sustain a polite society.

Here's another article from the LA Times:
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opin...hate-speech-1st-amendment-20151030-story.html
On the other hand, 21% students -- and 30% of self-described liberals -- agreed with the statement that the 1st Amendment was an “outdated amendment that can no longer be applied in today’s society and should be changed.”

I want to be free from criminal prosecution for the things I say. I see political correctness as the foundational precousor to legalizing overbroad censorship of ideas

http://www.debate.org/opinions/should-hate-speech-be-protected-as-free-speech

Here is an interactive webpage from debate.org. 29% of the respondents want to curtail hate speech. There are a variety of opinions expressed on that side, but here's an excerpt from a given opinion:

Here's another article from the LA Times:
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opin...hate-speech-1st-amendment-20151030-story.html

You're misrepresenting both links. Neither talks about prosecuting hate speech.

Here's a question, Knight. How would you live your life differently if there was no social pressure to be "politically correct?"

I want to be free from criminal prosecution for the things I say. I see political correctness as the foundational precousor to legalizing overbroad censorship of ideas

Nobody wants to prosecute you for saying offensive things. They want to use free speech to call you out and shame you for it. The anti-PC movement wants to curb that free speech.

This is wrong. Full stop.

How many sources for you being wrong do you want?

Here's a question, Knight. How would you live your life differently if there was no social pressure to be "politically correct?"

I'm not misrepresenting either of the links, and additional color is abundant in the wild. Hell, I would wager that you and Numbers would like to be able to lock people up for a broader swath of conduct than that which currently qualifies as obscenity.

It's EXACTLY what I'm worried about - REAL people want to outlaw broader swaths of speech. That's exactly contrary to your statement, "nobody wants to prosecute you for saying offensive things."

Now, I've got an easy argument here, because you've made an over-broad statement (of course there are people out there who want to lock others up for things they say). But your unwillingness to acknowledge that is wrong, and your continued misstatement has dug you deeper, because now you're not only NOT admitting that your inital statement was wrong, you're also going down the path that you're so deadset against - you're placing blame on me for "misrepresenting" instead of saying, "you know, you're right, there are some people who want to overly curtail speech, but I disagree with you as to where the line is." So, we don't have a discussion about where the line is, we have a discussion about how you're a liar. I'd rather have the former, you'd rather have the latter.

I'm not misrepresenting either of the links, and additional color is abundant in the wild. Hell, I would wager that you and Numbers would like to be able to lock people up for a broader swath of conduct than that which currently qualifies as obscenity.

It's EXACTLY what I'm worried about - REAL people want to outlaw broader swaths of speech. That's exactly contrary to your statement, "nobody wants to prosecute you for saying offensive things."

Now, I've got an easy argument here, because you've made an over-broad statement (of course there are people out there who want to lock others up for things they say). But your unwillingness to acknowledge that is wrong, and your continued misstatement has dug you deeper, because now you're not only NOT admitting that your inital statement was wrong, you're also going down the path that you're so deadset against - you're placing blame on me for "misrepresenting" instead of saying, "you know, you're right, there are some people who want to overly curtail speech, but I disagree with you as to where the line is." So, we don't have a discussion about where the line is, we have a discussion about how you're a liar. I'd rather have the former, you'd rather have the latter.

Quote anything from those links or my posts or numbers' posts that says "lock up people for hate speech."

Amazing how you've managed to turn a thread about victims of sexual abuse and harassment into a thread about how you're a victim because you want to say shitty things about women and minorities.

To answer your question, I would have slightly less anxiety in my social life. I'd also still have my original boards name, as you and Numbers seem intent upon resurrecting.

Quote anything from those links or my posts or numbers' posts that says "lock up people for hate speech."

Amazing how you've managed to turn a thread about victims of sexual abuse and harassment into a thread about how you're a victim because you want to say shitty things about women and minorities.

Welcome to the Republican Party and the current iteration of America.

What anxiety do you feel because you can't call some "nigger" or "bitch?" You're already a shitty person if you have to self-correct that.

To answer your question, I would have slightly less anxiety in my social life. I'd also still have my original boards name, as you and Numbers seem intent upon resurrecting.

Let me get this straight---you are insinuating that you changed your name on an anonymous message board (although some folks likely do know who you are in real life) because you had at least some anxiety in your social life stemming from the boards, and the new name that you picked to help alleviate this anxiety is "Grabs Turds Bare"?

I want to make sure I'm getting this correct.

Not to mention that if you are feeling social anxiety over something you have posted on a message board, or a persona that you have developed, then perhaps you should tone it down a bit, or at least own up to that persona in real life since you truly feel that way and there aren't legal repercussions for anything that you have said on here (at least from what I can recall).

A few years ago after FSU had a few players arrested and Jimbo stood up for all of them downplaying it all, I made a comment on an SBNation article about a player's mother being happy her kid was going to FSU something along the lines of "yeah because when he's inevitably arrested she knows Jimbo will defend him." I still get occasional tweets directed at me from random FSU fans calling me a racist and a couple guys threatening to "out me as a racist to my employer", like five years later, when Wake plays FSU. Remarkably none of them ever comment about my Jameis Winston crablegs article which still gets double digit hits a day, every day, like it has for the past four years.

TLDR: I get the issue about things you saying on the internet causing you anxiety.

Back