• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Me Too [Cuomo joins hall of shame]

This really is yuge. You can easily see a coach or GM taken down by a sexual harassment scandal. But the NFL forcing a high profile owner to sell is pretty amazing.

Only because the NFL is such a fucked up organization. Donald Sterling set the precedent for this sort of thing, but the NBA is infinitely more progressive than the NFL.

It's quite possible Richardson was planning on selling anyway.

I don't have any particular NFL owners in mind, but if sexual misconduct=selling the team, surely there will be more franchises for sale, stat

I don't have any particular NFL owners in mind, but if sexual misconduct=selling the team, surely there will be more franchises for sale, stat

I wonder if any of the Jones boys have skeletons/settlements in their closets.

It's quite possible Richardson was planning on selling anyway.

Well he is 81. The evidence against him is 4 cases of alleged sexual harassment that resulted in sealed settlements and 1 case of allegedly using a racial slur. On the face of it, that wouldn't appear to be enough to warrant forcing an owner to sell a team. Unless it's a case of what he is trying to hide from the NFL in those 4 cases. So I'm guessing that's the ticket, and those 4 cases weren't just inappropriately hitting on employees. To go ahead and publicize that you're selling your team at the announcement that the NFL would conduct an investigation likely means he's terrified of the fact situations that would become public.

07, I found the Sterling situation and Silver's pronouncement to be problematic. Instead of Silver saying they were forcing Sterling out with his illegally taped comments being only the icing on the racist cake he had long since baked (he had been sued many times over for discriminatory housing and race discrimination, once I think by Elgin Baylor), he based it solely on those illegally taped comments. And those comments were just plain strange ramblings of a 80+ year old man. He told his biracial 24 year old girlfriend she could sleep with whoever she wanted - just don't sit in the box seats with them. I think Cuban realized the bad precedent this could set, but he quickly abandoned his position that this may not have been enough to get rid of Sterling. After reading about Sterling, I was disappointed they hadn't forced him out years earlier. So years of engaging in racially discriminatory practices wasn't enough to eject him from the league, but some illegally taped comments from the confines of his house were.

Jerry opened the 1st Hardee's franchise in my hometown of Spartanburg along with business partner Charlie Bradshaw.

He then co-founded Spartan Foods which was the 1st franchisee of Hardee's. He became CEO of Flagstar which owned and operated Hardee's, Quincy's, Denny's, and a few others under their umbrella.

He used his signing bonus money from the pros to open a burger stand that then turned into him owning an NFL team. Its pretty amazing and he has done a ton for the town, but was brought down in a little less than 9 hours yesterday.

Anyone know why richardsons sons are not around anymore? I'm assuming a falling out between them and dad.

Jerry opened the 1st Hardee's franchise in my hometown of Spartanburg along with business partner Charlie Bradshaw.

He then co-founded Spartan Foods which was the 1st franchisee of Hardee's. He became CEO of Flagstar which owned and operated Hardee's, Quincy's, Denny's, and a few others under their umbrella.

He used his signing bonus money from the pros to open a burger stand that then turned into him owning an NFL team. Its pretty amazing and he has done a ton for the town, but was brought down in a little less than 9 hours yesterday.

my bad, it was Hardee's franchises that made Richardson wealthy, not Denny's

We still don't really know what happened. All of a sudden there was news about an investigation, then we found out the NFL was handily it. But all we know is some complaints were already settled. So what is being investigated?

We still don't really know what happened. All of a sudden there was news about an investigation, then we found out the NFL was handily it. But all we know is some complaints were already settled. So what is being investigated?

Just putting 2 and 2 together, which I don't think necessarily makes me a Giants fan, seems the facts are Jerry2 settled 4 sexual harassment suits and once allegedly uttered a racial slur, NFL finds out and says they'll investigate (and let's just say their history of expensive investigations under Goodell is at least checkered), and within hours, Jerry2 says he'll sell his team. Now, not all allegations are alike, but on the face of it, Jerry2's allegations aren't necessarily fatal. But rather than face what could be at best a marginally competent investigation, he resigns immediately. So I'm thinking the rest of the story is a lot worse than what we have on the face of it.

Just putting 2 and 2 together, which I don't think necessarily makes me a Giants fan, seems the facts are Jerry2 settled 4 sexual harassment suits and once allegedly uttered a racial slur, NFL finds out and says they'll investigate (and let's just say their history of expensive investigations under Goodell is at least checkered), and within hours, Jerry2 says he'll sell his team. Now, not all allegations are alike, but on the face of it, Jerry2's allegations aren't necessarily fatal. But rather than face what could be at best a marginally competent investigation, he resigns immediately. So I'm thinking the rest of the story is a lot worse than what we have on the face of it.

Fair assumption. Would also add that there had been rumors for a while that Richardson was considering selling the Panthers; so, following through with that intention was perhaps the path of least resistance to try to escape this mess (and pocket a couple of billion in the process).

Anyone know why richardsons sons are not around anymore? I'm assuming a falling out between them and dad.

His son Jon died a while back of cancer and he fired his other son as VP some years ago and said he'd never hire him back.

The sale of the team was mandated upon Jerry's death but obviously things have been moved up.

Back