• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Meatless Mondays

I think it's kind of lame to have a "meatless monday." why pick on one form of food? especially one that, if eaten responsibly, is good for you? why not do no sugar tuesdays? no carb wednesdays? no triglycerides thursdays?

i just always find initiatives like this to be more self-aggrandizing than anything. if you truly want to fight obesity and you're concerned about healthy eating there are probably thousands of better ways to go about it than just "meatless monday."

I think it's kind of lame to have a "meatless monday." why pick on one form of food? especially one that, if eaten responsibly, is good for you? why not do no sugar tuesdays? no carb wednesdays? no triglycerides thursdays?

i just always find initiatives like this to be more self-aggrandizing than anything. if you truly want to fight obesity and you're concerned about healthy eating there are probably thousands of better ways to go about it than just "meatless monday."

agree with your post, and especially the part in bold.

How about we just don't eat anything on Monday?

Best thing you can do, overweight or not, is fast once in a while. Humans have been fasting for thousands of years. It's written into religions for a reason - its good for you. Every couple of weeks or so go 24 hours without anything but water.

Best thing you can do, overweight or not, is fast once in a while. Humans have been fasting for thousands of years. It's written into religions for a reason - its good for you. Every couple of weeks or so go 24 hours without anything but water.

I'm in the middle of Ramadan right now. It's brutal.

Let's get politicians more involved in nutrition, they've never screwed that up before!

Agreed

Mondays suck enough as is. Now you want to take away our meat? What's next, no Mexican Fridays?

A better day would be no Fast Food Fridays. Fast Food is the silent killer among the poor. It is so easy, but it is not cheaper than going to Walmart and getting a few items. I am bacheloring it for a few weeks while my wife and kids are at the beach, and for about $80 I got food supplies for 2 weeks. Grilled chicken, salad, pasta....can easily cook a meal in 10-20 minutes and costs less than $5. The eating habits of the poor in this country are really bad. Mcdonalds is making a killing off of them.

jawe;lrkajwel;kr NOT the point.

I'm mostly coming on here to vent because the Ellmers are close personal friends and I can't say shit on facebook.

if they are close personal friends then call her and state your case instead of coming with a whiny "we are so screwed" post. the only way to make change is to speak out to the people in power or vote them out.

I got no problem doing a meatless monday.

The boys down at the Y might be disappointed tho...

The issue being discussed at the moment isn't obesity. The history here is that the USDA, like many companies, has some throwaway online newsletter that no one reads. A few weeks ago as part of some suggestions on "going green", the newsletter suggested that one way to reduce environmental impact would be to participate in meatless mondays (I'm too lazy to look up statistics, but obviously it takes an enormous amount of food, water, land, pesticides, etc, to produce one pound of food, especially in the case of beef.) Beef industry groups and a few senators from ranching states immediately flipped out and the newsletter was deleted (http://www.beefusa.org/newsreleases1.aspx?newsid=2560)

jawe;lrkajwel;kr NOT the point.

I'm mostly coming on here to vent because the Ellmers are close personal friends and I can't say shit on facebook.

Sorry to hear that. That twatwaffle is my congress critter. She's an idiot.

I don't know her, so on the individual level she my be a lovely person.

if they are close personal friends then call her and state your case instead of coming with a whiny "we are so screwed" post. the only way to make change is to speak out to the people in power or vote them out.

a) sorry you found it whiny. it's still a valid point, that politicians are beyond seeing what's best for people.
b) her niece is my best friend from HS. we don't talk about politics.
c) i'm not in NC anymore, but lots of people here are... I hope this draws some attention to it and influences people one way or another. It's what I can do from Oregon. She's the representative for District 2 and I don't think she's doing what's best for the people. i encourage people to NOT vote for her.

Sorry to hear that. That twatwaffle is my congress critter. She's an idiot.

I don't know her, so on the individual level she my be a lovely person.

she really is, as is her family. i just couldn't disagree more with her politics.

Back