• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Meatless Mondays

I can't imagine why any politician would support this. Not only will it do nothing to alleviate the obesity problem, it will piss of an important constituency. It's not about special interests controlling politicians, it's about making a pointless symbolic gesture that will accomplish nothing and piss off a bunch of people in the process.

I really don't think that cutting back on meat consumption by one-seventh is a pointless gesture. It's more of a step in the right direction.

I really don't think that cutting back on meat consumption by one-seventh is a pointless gesture. It's more of a step in the right direction.

Yeah, if everyone actually did it.

I can't imagine why any politician would support this. Not only will it do nothing to alleviate the obesity problem, it will piss of an important constituency. It's not about special interests controlling politicians, it's about making a pointless symbolic gesture that will accomplish nothing and piss off a bunch of people in the process.

ZOMG what's going on TR and I have the same view on something

Yeah, if everyone actually did it.

TR, come on. You have to see that even if a percentage of people did it it would help. it's not like 'unless everyone does it, it won't help'

it's much better to do nothing about a problem.

True, but what good is a statement of support from Renee Ellmers going to do? I'm not against this thing in principle, but then again I'm not a politician who barely defeated her opponent in a traditionally Democratic district who is up for reelection in three months.

True, but what good is a statement of support from Renee Ellmers going to do? I'm not against this thing in principle, but then again I'm not a politician who barely defeated her opponent in a traditionally Democratic district who is up for reelection in three months.

it doesn't even need to be a statement in support... but her gross "my office celebrates 3M - More Meat Mondays!" statement in response is just asinine. I hate that she's compelled to not just not support it, but to take her 'support' the complete opposite direction. it comes across poorly, especially given her background in healthcare.

so you'd advocate she cover her ass w/ constituents vs take a stand on an issue (meat or otherwise)?

Anything to distract us from the new recession and unemployment problem in America

i love when people act like everything is new/mind-blowing when anyone starts talking about obesity or heathy eating.

it's like when you hand someone a digital camera and ask them to take a picture of you "what is this??? a camera?? how does it work???????????"

If cutting back on meat consumption did anything to limit obesity that I'd be all for it. However I doubt that there are very many people out there who are over indulging on lean meats. The problem is carbs, sugars, etc.

Something tells me that this incident is tied into one side being part of the vegetarian/vegan/etc. movement, and them using obesity as a means to push that agenda seems disingenious to me. In 2010 I went the entire month of October without eating meat and felt less healthier for doing so. Not only are meat substitutes generally disgusting (in my opinion), they can be a lot less healthier.

Fast Food Free Friday sounds like a much better idea.

Last edited:
i love when people act like everything is new/mind-blowing when anyone starts talking about obesity or heathy eating.

it's like when you hand someone a digital camera and ask them to take a picture of you "what is this??? a camera?? how does it work???????????"

Keep in mind that the same group of people who criticize this as a distraction from real issues are the same group of people who criticized Michelle Obama for her healthy eating initiatives.

If cutting back on meat consumption did anything to limit obesity that I'd be all for it. However I doubt that there are very many people out there who are over indulging on lean meats. The problem is carbs, sugars, etc.

Something tells me that this incident is tied into one side being part of the vegetarian/vegan/etc. movement, and them using obesity as a means to push that agenda seems disingenious to me. In 2010 I went the entire month of October without eating meat and felt less healthier for doing so. Not only are meat substitutes generally disgusting (in my opinion), they can be a lot less healthier.

Fast Food Free Friday sounds like a much better idea.

Saturated fats from meat are a huge factor in the high rate of heart disease of this country.

Saturated fats from meat are a huge factor in the high rate of heart disease of this country.

Very true. Which is why I eat generally eat leaner meats and limit my red meat consumption to once or twice a week.

However, the original argument was about obesity. Lot of fat vegans and vegetarians out there, I promise.

Hell I have a much larger problem with the industry that pushes the idea that whole wheats and grains are actually healthy for you. Sure they are better for you that traditional white bread, but overcosumption of those products is just as detrimental to your health as white bread, and does very little to combat obesity.

Back to the original point.
I know nothing about this politician broad, but if she is up for reelection in a close race then you have to take the age old adage:

YOU DON'T MAKE FRIENDS WITH SALAD!

images

and getting off topic just to indulge my Simpson's nerdery

2358298580_166f33bd45_m.jpg

-Welcome to Homer's BBBQ, the extra B is for BYOBB
--What's that extra B for?
-That's a Typo

images

Last edited:
Back