• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Meet the Bagman: How to buy college football players

You don't need a bag man, you just need an uncle Nate. Johnny shows up and signs some stuff and uncle Nate gets $5k in cash.

Great article. Surprised there isn't more discussion about it.

You know how you can tell that they are talking about the SEC? Because they don't mention basketball recruiting one time.

"I can't show you that money, and neither can anyone else. You might think you see the money -- a flash of $20 bills all over some kid's Instagram or Facebook update -- but that's just money."

The comments re: 'auto dealerships' resonated...

Too long to read at work but just got to it.

Some good quotes.

"You win the gym teachers, and you can go a long way. That's why all those basket-weaving degrees are so important, because we need 'em on both ends. You need 'em to keep the kids qualified, and you need 'em to produce guys who can go back and coach and teach and help us."

I thought the end with the bartender was excellent. That was very relatable.

Love the quotes in this article. I wish the author would have discussed what this means beyond the SEC though.

Great read. Would be interesting to read something similar from an ACC basketball perspective.

I read the article on my phone so I didn't notice the 42 minute interview with the author of the piece. There's even more background and depth in the interview.

The author is an Ole Miss grad for whatever it's worth.

Last edited:
Ended up listening to the whole interview. There was some good background information there, particularly about how hard he had to work to get these interviews. He described it as a batting average of .120.

Whoever it was, they dropped the bag.

I know for a fact that shit happened at OSU, their bag man had a brinks truck and our bag man had a sack marbles. This was a really good article. Deacs need to syphon some endowment money to our bag men. Our bag man have shit in their bags. Let it rain bag men, Deacs got some catching up to do.

Back