• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mega Millions at $400 million (cash option $216 million)- 3 things you'll buy

I'm gonna get me a donk like the one at the bottom to cruise around in- just to let people know I'm a boss.
ku-xlarge.jpg

Phan, do you have a hotline that we can use to call to know how to make the best life decisions?

Example:

Phan, should I watch sons of anarchy?

No. That show sucks. You must be a moron.

Phan, should I use my $216MM lottery winnings to upgrade my kitchen?

No that's stupid. What a waste of money.

WHOOSH

i was making the point that different people value things differently.

I'm talking about the one with the 100 dollar bill motif. You got a smooth ride like that and the women in bikinis show up for free. I might move to somewhere like Myrtle Beach where it will be properly appreciated.

I bought one ticket and won $2. There was no big winner so the estimated jackpot is $550 million. My dream of a house in the Keys is still alive.

Build a sweet office in my current house. Install quad 30" monitors and lots of computing power and invest lots of monies.

Buy a mid-size yacht and sail around the world forever. Nothing too extravagant, but enough to cruise in comfort and not have to worry about dying in heavy seas.

I didn't realize they'd changed the rules on this babe to take your odds of winning down to 1 in 259 million (used to be around 1 in 192 million IIRC).

Oh whale. I also got a $2 ticket last night. So I guess I'll reinvest one of those again. Stay ahead of the house.

1 houses
2 pay off student loan
3 give to five of my favorite nonprofits.

Then invest the rest, relax, hire employees and keep the business going. My only challenge would be that I would now be one of my clients targets. I used to lays say the first thing I would do old be buy a car. I nw have a god one so no need for that :)

When I win on Wednesday I'll end up buying modest places in all my favorite cities (DC, NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, W-S for games), a mountain house somewhere in the NW, and a beach house down on Bald head. I'll probably stay at my current job for 3-6 months and just work remote, just to leave them in a good place. After that, I'd just spend my days traveling and relaxing in my favorite spots. Would probably work on some side-projects I've had on the backburner when I feel the need to actually do something productive.

I can't even fathom having that kind of money. Like, my first instinct would be "pay off my house, car, and student loans!" but that is like pennies compared to a lump sum of $216 million. I'd surely live in a different/better house if I had that kind of money, and buy more cars.

But I guess I'd travel all over, buy a mail order husband or something, and donate enough to Wake to get naming rights on one of the new dorms.

What dorm are you in? I'm in _______ House, near the Chi O lounge.

1) Reimburse my parents and in-laws for my wife and my education at Wake.

2) Invest to live off of interest indefinitely

3) Donate a huge chunk to my favorite institutions: Wake, Camp Cheerio, and the NCZoo. Probably set up some scholarships to Wake and Cheerio and fund a habitat for the zoo.

New jackpot $550 million with a cash option of $296 million (initially - let's call it $300 million for sake of argument because it will likely go up some). I would take the cash option and assume I'm paying in the range of 43% income tax, combined federal and state. I would contribute approximately $125 million to a donor advised fund to support my philanthropic/charitable efforts through my lifetime and hopefully well beyond. That would take my tax liability from around $126 million down to approximately $74 million (donor advised fund with a pubic charity rather than a new private foundation because of the higher 50% of AGI charitable deduction limitation), leaving me with a net of $101 million or so. Not sure what I would "buy" after that, but that would definitely be my plan - gotta minimize those taxes. I guess I could actually donate up to $150 million to a DAF to really minimize taxes, but for whatever reason, from that, I want to have $100 million net to me.

If you were to donate $150 million to a DAF what would your tax liability go down to?

Back