• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's Golf 2017 - 18

Tin Cup

Reaction score
Tin Cup, when you say "this is the year" do you mean winning the NCAA title?

Winning the NCAA is kind of a crap shoot, same with ACC. Lot of factors go into actually pulling those off. But yes, given the experience and talent we have, we should expect to be right there at the end for both of those tournaments.

Great to see Will tie for 1st. I was probably most excited about Cameron Young's performance. He's damn talented and seems to perform very well at events where he isn't playing for Wake, but seems to struggle in the Black&Gold. T4 against a strong field is an excellent start.

Biggest question of the fall season is does Will stay for the spring. He was quoted late summer saying he would be going to Q school.

Biggest question of the fall season is does Will stay for the spring. He was quoted late summer saying he would be going to Q school.

I would expect him to come back unless he got full time Web status. Even then, he MIGHT be willing to skip the first part of the Web season to see what this team can do. He's a very good student, so I have to think leaving school 1 semester from graduating would be a tough choice as well.

I would expect him to come back unless he got full time Web status. Even then, he MIGHT be willing to skip the first part of the Web season to see what this team can do. He's a very good student, so I have to think leaving school 1 semester from graduating would be a tough choice as well.

If you have status you need to use it otherwise there is no point in going to Q school (and paying for Q school). They reshuffle exemption status after maybe the first 5 events so unless you are the medalist at Q school where you have full exempt status for the season, you need to make money to keep getting into events (unless he thinks he can get sponsors exemptions). It's not like he could wait to play until June and still have his status and try to make enough in half a season to get his card or at least get in top 75 for the playoffs.

About 2 years ago, a Wake golfer (top 5 player on the team) told me that Will would be at Wake all four years. Obviously, things could have changed in the interval, but I understand that it has been his intention to stay for four years.

About 2 years ago, a Wake golfer (top 5 player on the team) told me that Will would be at Wake all four years. Obviously, things could have changed in the interval, but I understand that it has been his intention to stay for four years.

This is what he had said previously as well. The Q school comment was surprising.

Today, Wake Forest Men won their 2nd straight tournament winning the Shoal Creek Invitational in Birmingham by 13 shots.

Showing the depth of this year's team, WF's #1 player Will Zalatoris finished behind Paul McBride, Cameron Young and Eric Bae. McBride finished 2nd overall at -8.

Here are the results: http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=13831

WF is now 2 for 2 in Fall tourneys. Next week, WF plays in Oregon at the Nike Invitational.

Not the best tournament, but not too surprised. 3rd tournament in a very short amount of time. Marco Steyn's head must be spinning as he moves from South Africa, starts college as a freshman and plays 3 straight golf tournaments in less than 3 weeks. Thankfully have a few weeks off coming up.

I need a ruling. Would putting a voodoo hex on your own player in this situation be an acceptable course of action? Limited, of course, to this tournament only.

Can you explain again his future? If he qualifies, does he come back to spring for the spring semester? I'm assuming he is graduating then.

Can you explain again his future? If he qualifies, does he come back to spring for the spring semester? I'm assuming he is graduating then.

If he gets through this stage there would still be one more stage before finals. I believe if you get to finals you get some level of status but I think only the top 25(?) get status to get into all the events at the start of the year. If Will gets in that group, he is likely gone - why else would he go through this process and pay for Q school if he's not intending to use the status he earns. The season starts in January and they reshuffle the exemptions based on money earned in the first 5 events. So if you don't play you don't make anything and your status gets worse and less likely to get into events. Maybe there's a loophole I don't know about. I think the medalist at finals is fully exempt for the whole year so if he gets that far, root for him to win and maybe he stays and turns pro right after the season.

If he has limited status then it's a toss up based on what he wants to do.

If he gets through this stage there would still be one more stage before finals. I believe if you get to finals you get some level of status but I think only the top 25(?) get status to get into all the events at the start of the year. If Will gets in that group, he is likely gone - why else would he go through this process and pay for Q school if he's not intending to use the status he earns. The season starts in January and they reshuffle the exemptions based on money earned in the first 5 events. So if you don't play you don't make anything and your status gets worse and less likely to get into events. Maybe there's a loophole I don't know about. I think the medalist at finals is fully exempt for the whole year so if he gets that far, root for him to win and maybe he stays and turns pro right after the season.

If he has limited status then it's a toss up based on what he wants to do.

There are only 9 tournaments before the NCAA championship and 16/17 after, and 4 or 5 of them are in like Central America... Now that Q-School only buys you tourneys on the Web.com tour, it's pretty close to a toss-up as to whether it's more valuable to win/finish well in elite college events or play in a few extra Web.com events.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he were to qualify but stick with Wake anyway to see what kind of season they can have. Build a better college resume, get more PGA Tour exemptions, pull the Jon Rahm bypass.

Back