• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's Golf 2017 - 18

If he gets all the way through he will leave. But that's a pretty tall task. He's a very good player, but these guys have been doing it longer without dealing with school on top of it.

There are only 9 tournaments before the NCAA championship and 16/17 after, and 4 or 5 of them are in like Central America... Now that Q-School only buys you tourneys on the Web.com tour, it's pretty close to a toss-up as to whether it's more valuable to win/finish well in elite college events or play in a few extra Web.com events.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he were to qualify but stick with Wake anyway to see what kind of season they can have. Build a better college resume, get more PGA Tour exemptions, pull the Jon Rahm bypass.

While more events are after NCAAs, he wouldn't be exempt for them if not playing beforehand to keep his status (they reshuffle based on money about every 5 weeks). Not a lot of players are good enough to go the Rahm route and get enough exemptions and play well enough to get full status. Maybe Will can line up some Web.com exemptions or get into an event and get T25 or better to get into the next week and get on a run. But if he has status at the start of the year, it's never a guarantee you'll get it again.

Hoping he stays but certainly understand him going if he gets through Q School.

I guess Will Z was at Q school during this last tourney? Scores were incredibly low. Loovile in particular was near unbelievable. Anyone know Will's status at the qualifying?

What's with the Wake freshman, Parker Gillam, playing as an individual but finishing 12th at -10?!? That was better than everybody on the team except Cameron Young at -12!

What's with the Wake freshman, Parker Gillam, playing as an individual but finishing 12th at -10?!? That was better than everybody on the team except Cameron Young at -12!

Coach Haas picked the wrong set of golfers as the five to count toward the team total. In most tournaments other than Conference and NCAA tourney meets, teams can place other golfers in the field, but their score does not count.

Meh. If he knew his score counted maybe he shoots +5.

Pre-picking scores to count from 2nd tier players is basically impossible. Might as well pick via coin flip.

Not men's golf related but don't see a thread for women's golf - what's going on with them? They have probably the best in the country and two very good freshmen but the 4th position is killing them. As I recall, the same thing happened last year. Anyone know anything about someone coming in Jan to help this program?

Not men's golf related but don't see a thread for women's golf - what's going on with them? They have probably the best in the country and two very good freshmen but the 4th position is killing them. As I recall, the same thing happened last year. Anyone know anything about someone coming in Jan to help this program?

They had a very good freshman from France last year, and in the middle of the season she just quit and left the team (insert joke here). That plus injuries have left them with only 3-4 solid players.

There were two outstanding freshmen last year that bailed on the program. We have two of our top 5 out now presumably with injuries.

Coach Haas picked the wrong set of golfers as the five to count toward the team total. In most tournaments other than Conference and NCAA tourney meets, teams can place other golfers in the field, but their score does not count.

Meh. If he knew his score counted maybe he shoots +5.

Pre-picking scores to count from 2nd tier players is basically impossible. Might as well pick via coin flip.

Sorry, I didn't post that to criticize the coaches choices. I just hadn't read anything about the freshmen other than Steyn and wanted to know Gillam's story. Was he expected to be good right away or was that a fluke?

Sorry, I didn't post that to criticize the coaches choices. I just hadn't read anything about the freshmen other than Steyn and wanted to know Gillam's story. Was he expected to be good right away or was that a fluke?

Yes he was expected to be good right away. We are leaving good players at home every tournament, guys that are capable of beating the top 5 traveling guys.

Just not impressed with our golf coach's decisions

Golf is a fickle sport and when you have a team as talented as ours there are going to be some weeks where guys who aren't playing for the team that beat guys who count for the team. That doesn't mean that the wrong decision was made. We don't know how Coach Haas picks the team---for all we know Gillam looked horrible in practice for two weeks and wasn't even under consideration for the team and then it clicked for the tournament.

Golf is a fickle sport and when you have a team as talented as ours there are going to be some weeks where guys who aren't playing for the team that beat guys who count for the team. That doesn't mean that the wrong decision was made. We don't know how Coach Haas picks the team---for all we know Gillam looked horrible in practice for two weeks and wasn't even under consideration for the team and then it clicked for the tournament.

I mean, it's a fact that Coach Haas plays favorites, and the lowest scores in practice/qualifying rounds don't necessarily mean a kid is going to get in the next tournament. Look at Travis Wadkins' career as exhibit A, but there have been plenty of other, less notable examples in recent years.

What are we even arguing about? We finished 1st, 1st, 6th, 3rd and 5th this fall. The 5th was the final event without our best player. A borderline top 5 player was hurt most of the fall (Detmer) and another potential Top 5 who is redshirting (Sterbinsky).

Gillam is a freshman, so bringing him along slowly with exposure in the fall isnt a bad move. Not to mention that final tournament doesnt really amount to much of anything in the grand scheme of things.

This is a really dumb argument

What are we even arguing about? We finished 1st, 1st, 6th, 3rd and 5th this fall. The 5th was the final event without our best player. A borderline top 5 player was hurt most of the fall (Detmer) and another potential Top 5 who is redshirting (Sterbinsky).

Gillam is a freshman, so bringing him along slowly with exposure in the fall isnt a bad move. Not to mention that final tournament doesnt really amount to much of anything in the grand scheme of things.

This is a really dumb argument

Welcome to OGBoards, where olds that know nothing about the sport criticize coaches incessantly. Enjoy your stay :)

Wow, I clearly did not ask the right question and accidentally opened a festering sore. Again, I did not mean to question the coaches choices. I knew that, of the freshmen, Steyn was the best amateur in South Africa, a country known for golf, and was an internationally ranked amateur. I expected him to be good. Other people said he would be great. Then, I saw that a Wake freshman, Gillam, whose only US national honor was reaching the round of 32 at the 2015 US amateur and competed at only the NC private school 2A level, but finished 12th in Hawaii at -10. I hadn't heard his name mentioned. I wondered if he was one of those players that everyone knows is going to be great but just hadn't had the exposure. Or if that was just out of the blue. That's all.

Wow, I clearly did not ask the right question and accidentally opened a festering sore. Again, I did not mean to question the coaches choices. I knew that, of the freshmen, Steyn was the best amateur in South Africa, a country known for golf, and was an internationally ranked amateur. I expected him to be good. Other people said he would be great. Then, I saw that a Wake freshman, Gillam, whose only US national honor was reaching the round of 32 at the 2015 US amateur and competed at only the NC private school 2A level, but finished 12th in Hawaii at -10. I hadn't heard his name mentioned. I wondered if he was one of those players that everyone knows is going to be great but just hadn't had the exposure. Or if that was just out of the blue. That's all.

There are plenty of good golfers competing at the NC private school 2A level - in the preceding two seasons before last year the NCISAA 2A state champs have gone on to play at UVA (where he finished 28th at the NCAAs this past season as a Soph) and Georgetown, before Gillam won the state title and headed to Wake. Not too shabby. :D

Back