• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's Tennis loses to Northwestern, 4-3, in the Round of 64

A three inch ball traveling 70+ mph can look like a blur against a two inch thick line. Added to the difficulty of calling the lines accurately is most players are primarily concentrating on to trying to play the ball/shot with a secondary peripheral focus to see if it's in. Many times it is a really tight call. Most of the time you give the opponent the benefit of the doubt. However in bigger, tighter matches many people tend to have a more strict interpretation. That 50/50 ball that may have previously been in becomes out. For the majority I wouldn't call it deliberate hooking per se, just more of giving themselves all the ones that are too close to call.

That being said, there are definitely those who deliberately cheat, but I feel like they are the minority. However since this is Duke we are talking about the chances of blatant cheating do increase greatly!

The umpire is probably not going to overrule a close call. Also, he overruled the kid 4 times.

I understand your point of view however, as there are many good kids who play honest tennis. My step-son had a point to win the NC State Championship for his team. He thought a ball was going out and let it go. He stopped, shook his head and called it in. His team still won pretty easily.

It does bring up a funny story on handling cheaters. His teammate was playing a kid from Statesville who was a very good player, but known to be a little loose with line calls. He called a ball out and my son's teammate called him on it. This was in the state playoffs. The very next ball that the kid hit was about ten feet within the lines. The teammate called it out and asked the guy if he was now ready to play tennis.

Last edited:
Match will be starting in a few minutes.

Here's the link to follow the scores: http://www.theacc.com/championships/acc-tennis-championships.html?page=acctennis-2013-men-final.html

Twitter feeds: https://twitter.com/WakeMTennis and https://twitter.com/UVAMensTennis

UVA has won 6 straight ACC Tournaments, 20 straight ACC Tournament matches, and 105 straight ACC matches. They beat Wake 6-1 in the regular season, with our win coming from Adam Lee at #4 singles. They are #2 in the country, 23-0 on the year.

Do you believe in miracles?!?!

Play halted due to rain until 12:15.

UVA has won the first doubles match but Wake leads in the 2nd and are tied in the 3rd. If we could steal the doubles point that would be an awesome start.

UVA won #3 doubles easily, but Wake won #2 doubles*, so now it all comes down to #1. Right now that match is 4-4, in another weather delay. Looking at the radar, it seems inevitable this is going to move inside.

*Pretty huge upset here. Wake's #2 doubles team is unranked, UVA's is 16th.

It all comes down to the final doubles?

I only watched a couple tennis matches at Wake, but I thought they did 3 doubles and 4 singles for a whole match. Is it different in the ACC tourney?

It all comes down to the final doubles?

I only watched a couple tennis matches at Wake, but I thought they did 3 doubles and 4 singles for a whole match. Is it different in the ACC tourney?

The winner of 2/3 doubles matches gets 1 point then the six singles matches each also count 1 point for 7 points total.

Sorry, bad phrasing on my part. The doubles point all comes down to #1. There will still be 6 more points available from the 6 singles points. WRS summed it up well.

They are moving indoors, ironically to Duke's facility. Match will not resume until 2:15 at the earliest.

I played tennis at Wake. If the ball is close, it is usually played as in. Once a pattern of out happens, line judges get called. He was definitely cheating with that many close calls overturned.

Here was the outcome of the first match from 04/06/13.

It's a good sign that Kreyman/Lee were able to turn it around this time at #2 Doubles. #1 Doubles went to a tie-breaker last time and it's tight again today.

Singles competition
1. #2 Jarmere Jenkins (VA) def. David Hopkins (WF) 6-3, 6-2
2. #1 Alex Domijan (VA) def. #60 Amogh Prabhakar (WF) 6-2, 6-1
3. #27 Mitchell Frank (VA) def. Danny Kreyman (WF) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Adam Lee (WF) def. #16 Mac Styslinger (VA) 6-3, 7-5
5. Justin Shane (VA) def. Jon Ho (WF) 6-3, 6-3
6. Julen Uriguen (VA) def. Sam Bloom (WF) 7-5, 6-1

Doubles competition
1. #2 Jarmere Jenkins/Mac Styslinger (VA) def. David Hopkins/Amogh Prabhakar (WF) 8-7 (10-8)
2. #9 Alex Domijan/Mitchell Frank (VA) def. Danny Kreyman/Adam Lee (WF) 8-3
3. #31 Justin Shane/Julen Uriguen (VA) def. Jon Ho/Sam Bloom (WF) 8-4

Jarmere Jenkins is a monster. I saw his brother Jermaine (Clemson) play quite a bit growing up. Insane the talent UVA has on this team.

Deacs win the doubles point. If we are going to pull off a miracle, that was a must.

Virginia was undefeated against ACC competition in doubles this year. Doubles has been Wake's weakness of late. This is absolutely crazy.

Wake Men's Tennis ‏@WakeMTennis 2m
Not sure the exact number but Virginia had won at least 20 straight doubles points vs. ACC teams before that

Wake Men's Tennis ‏@WakeMTennis 1m
And here's everyone's favorite stat: Wake Forest is 15-0 this season when winning the doubles point

Back