• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mexican President cancels trip to meet with Trump

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Yep, Trump will get Mexico to pay for the wall.

Not really sure how you would expect this to go. Trump isn't soliciting a check. He is going to reduce their aid until they pay back the sum of the wall. I think the wall is stupid but trump can definitely get Mexico to pay for it. It doesn't require the Mexican president to write a check from the treasury. All it requires is the US to abstain from writing one of our checks for a period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really sure how you would expect this to go. Trump isn't soliciting a check. He is going to reduce their aid until they pay back the sum of the wall. I think the wall is stupid but trump can definitely get Mexico to pay for it. It doesn't require the Mexican president to write a check from the treasury. All it requires is the US to abstain from writing one of our checks for a period of time.

hooray for trade wars!

Reducing their aids is the most counterproductive thing Trump could short of raising tariffs. As has been posted multiple times about 75% of US aid to Mexico is used for security purposes, read border security. Not knowing this would once again, show how clueless and lazy Trump is.

American businesses will suffer in the interim. I have no doubt that he can get Mexico to pay for some of it eventually on the back end , but at what cost (other than fiscally) at the end of the day?

What does this do with NAFTA? We send a ton of our exports down there too.

We are basically throwing extreme, irrational actions at a problem that doesn't even need the solution (the wall) to begin with.

Starting trade wars just for the sake of doing it is so dumb, and definitely in line with fascist and extreme isolationist tendencies.

Reducing aid still seems like the US paying for the wall out of its own pocket.

I mean taxpayers and federal funding is definitely going to cover the up-front expense.

American businesses will suffer in the interim. I have no doubt that he can get Mexico to pay for some of it eventually on the back end , but at what cost (other than fiscally) at the end of the day?

We are basically throwing extreme, irrational actions at a problem that doesn't even need the solution (the wall) to begin with.

Starting trade wars just for the sake of doing it is so dumb, and definitely in line with fascist and extreme isolationist tendencies.

Any Mexican president that allows a single peso to go to pay for a wall will end his political career immediately.

So his solution to stop Mexicans from leaving Mexico due to economic hardships is to force them into even greater economic hardships? Bold strategy, Cotton.

Any Mexican president that allows a single peso to go to pay for a wall will end his political career immediately.

I mean Mexico needs the support and aid of the United States more than we need their aid.

If we close them out entirely they will likely have to make a call on what to do. I think paying for the wall may be a long term plan for Mexico depending on how bad the situation gets fiscally.

Yeah, getting in a tariff war with Mexico and reducing aid that goes to security won't likely lead to a more stable Mexican government. Probably won't end well.

Yeah, getting in a tariff war with Mexico and reducing aid that goes to security won't likely lead to a more stable Mexican government. Probably won't end well.

Nope. The cartels will rise to power when the governments of Mexico have nowhere else to turn and need money. Then we will spend billions more in the future trying to quell the cartels. It is the cycle we began in the 70's and seem destined to continue. We force Mexico to make desperate decisions, then complain and build walls if they turn out to be "bad hombres".

I wish we could throw the wall supporters into Juarez for a few days and see how they like it.

Last edited:
yeah, 15 billion dollar debt right to the tax payers

I mean Mexico needs the support and aid of the United States more than we need their aid.

If we close them out entirely they will likely have to make a call on what to do. I think paying for the wall may be a long term plan for Mexico depending on how bad the situation gets fiscally.

READ my other post. Almost all US aid to Mexico is used for security. We don't help their economy from this aid, other than a few jobs. also, it's only abut $200M. It's nothing compared to the $150 BILLION in exports we send them.

READ my other post. Almost all US aid to Mexico is used for security. We don't help their economy from this aid, other than a few jobs. also, it's only abut $200M. It's nothing compared to the $150 BILLION in exports we send them.

Apologies, as I was conflating aid/exports into one category.

If we wanted to stop exporting with them then it would completely shut them out. I have no idea what Trump would stop at to get something he wants, so this certainly isn't out of the question.

The basics are: the $200MILLION we give in aid is used to help the USA more than Mexico.

Now compare that to $150 BILLION in trade and the foreign aid is piss. Think about the 1 Million jobs trade creates.

Wait a minute. Let me get the logistics of this straight. Keeping aid money that we normally give to Mexico is equivalent to Mexico paying, because for all intents and purposes, that money belongs to Mexico. It that is true, then lowering and cutting taxes for the rich, tax money which for all intents and purposes belongs to the US, is the same thing as...

Back