• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mexican President cancels trip to meet with Trump

I think it's generally agreed upon that if this passes, anything you buy now that is manufactured in Mexico will get more expensive.

This is purely my thought process without real knowledge of how stuff like this works (so basically Trump, except I'm not the POTUS)...but I feel like this will just make the price of goods in Mexico go up and cause most domestic companies that currently export from Mexico to be pretty angry. That will lead to companies that rely on Mexican goods to either: A. import from somewhere else, or B. Just pass on the cost change to their consumers (the taxpayers anyway).

Perhaps A. is what he is trying to do to get Mexico to budge, but it will also cause the amount coming in to be less, which would defeat the whole purpose.

That could be way off, but that's my logic on it.

Sounds like American consumers will have to pay more and will, in effect, subsidize the wall. I guess this would be the second subsidy for American taxpayers since they will also be subsidizing the wall when we front the $12-15 billion before we get it paid back by Mexico by....well....paying more on consumer goods that Mexico sends here.

So really it's the Wall, brought to you by Donald, by way of American taxpayers, indirectly by way of Mexico, partially by way of American consumers.

What a world. I sure am glad that Donald made Mexico pay for that wall!!! You showed them (us?)

Yep, Trump will get Mexico to pay for the wall.

Already built--Nieto couldn't get over it. In the meantime, Trump will fund it with a 20% tax on all Mexican imports.

Boo hoo, who gives a fuck. They, in conjunction with traitorous politicians in Washington and pro-immigration types, have been destroying this country. We have numerous ways of getting the money out of them and stopping the illegal flow of their citizens into our country.

Boo hoo, who gives a fuck. They, in conjunction with traitorous politicians in Washington and pro-immigration types, have been destroying this country. We have numerous ways of getting the money out of them and stopping the illegal flow of their citizens into our country.

...and it will come directly at the expense of US taxpayers two-fold, as well as hurting businesses who currently export from Mexico. That will likely cause a loss of jobs, and increase in domestic spending on these items.

Once again, this is all money being thrown at a solution that is mainly symbolic in nature, for a problem that may or may not really exist.

Shocking.

Idiocy. All of these clever ways of "getting the money out of them" involve America paying. This reminds me of a time that Obama told us that we would be able to keep our doctors and our plans.

If someone was serious about stopping the illegal flow of citizens into the country, while simultaneously being a proponent of a smaller federal government, they would address overstays on visas and work permits of people here.

Again, this has nothing to do with "stopping the illegal flow" and everything to do with "appearing to take a hardliner stance on stopping the illegal flow." If you can't see that by now, there's not much else to talk about moving forward on the issue.

As a Texas congressional member put it best: the wall is a 14th century to a 21st century problem

...and it will come directly at the expense of US taxpayers two-fold, as well as hurting businesses who currently export from Mexico. That will likely cause a loss of jobs, and increase in domestic spending on these items.

Once again, this is all money being thrown at a solution that is mainly symbolic in nature, for a problem that may or may not really exist.

Shocking.

What's sbocking is that you believe it's a problem that may or may not exist. You have been thoroughly brainwashed by pro-immigration Republicans and Dems. Not just you though. It seems to be every single Hillary voter on this board.

I feel like the republican representatives that live on the borders probably have a pretty good grasp of the problem

What's sbocking is that you believe it's a problem that may or may not exist. You have been thoroughly brainwashed by pro-immigration Republicans and Dems. Not just you though. It seems to be every single Hillary voter on this board.

I think we should enforce the laws that we currently have on the books.

Building a wall is just throwing money stupidly at a solution that is comically outdated and shows that Trump has a very narrow understanding of the complexities of the problem that he is faced with.

Apparently not one single member of the Texas congressional delegation supports a wall across the entire border. I wonder if they know it's a problem?!

Starting trade wars with Mexico and China seems like a fast track to a recession.

What's not shocking is that you believe in a solution that will not work.

What's not shocking is that you believe in a solution that will not work.

Given most of you were convinced Hillary would win and then were convinced the stock market would tank immediately after Trump won, I'll take your thoughts on what may or may not work with a huge grain of salt. Also, someone as pro-immigration as you has a much different view of what it means to have a system that "works".

Back