• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Middle East: Saudis Murder & Dismember Washington Post Contributor

Regardless of whether the allegation that Obama sent cash to Iran is true, it is undeniably fact that we had peace with Iran for years and Iran was complying with the nuclear deal.
Their cash that we had confiscated for decades

Regardless of whether the allegation that Obama sent cash to Iran is true, it is undeniably fact that we had peace with Iran for years and Iran was complying with the nuclear deal.

The Obama administration complied with a

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/ap-fact-check-trump-revisits-old-fictions-about-iran-money

I know that complying with international law and following lawful court orders is not a thing in Trumpworld.

The $1.8 (actually $1.7 billion) was a debt owed to Iran, which bought military equipment from the U.S. that it never received because relations ruptured when the shah was overthrown in 1979.
The debt was in international arbitration for years. As part of that, Iran paid settlements of more than $2.5 billion to U.S. citizens and businesses.
$400 million, representing the principal and held in a U.S. government trust fund, was paid in cash and flown to Tehran on a cargo plane, which gave rise to Trump’s dramatic accounts of money stuffed in barrels or boxes and delivered in the dead of night.
The remaining $1.3 billion, representing interest accrued over nearly 40 years, was paid separately. In order not to violate U.S. regulations barring direct U.S. dollar transfers to Iranian banks, the money was remitted to Iran in late January and early February 2016 in foreign hard currency from the central banks of the Netherlands and of Switzerland, according to the Congressional Research Service .

Fuck your facts!!! We go with feelings in our McDonald stuffed, bud heavy guzzling fat belly’s, and whatever our cult leader and his propaganda network come up with.

d8ab3eb8903595429fd6ce8e66ba71d8.jpg

Agree with all this.

Also, it's pretty clear that this was a strike of opportunity and that little thought has gone into what happens the day after. It looks like the Iraqi parliament might vote to kick our forces out of Iraq. Does that serve our long-term best interests in the region? Does it help our efforts to contain Iran? Probably not. It's all just an incoherent mess and a lot of people are going to die because of it.

To be fair, it's not like past US administrations have been successful in "fixing" the middle east. However, the calculus of this administration has clearly changed over to confrontation, escalation, and destruction as a strategy, as opposed to any attempt at diplomacy, calming tensions, or trying to reach negotiated outcomes.

We started the current descent into chaos and opened Iraq up to Iranian manipulation by invading Iraq and failing to understand the likely outcome of attempting to democratize the majority Shia place.

Now we have idiots and an idiot in chief throwing gasoline on the fire.

You mean like killing the Iran nuclear deal when it was deemed as successful?

Now, Iran is doing naval exercises with China.

Add this to Trump's Iran actions and he gets an F- for this and his entire foreign policy.

I don't know, but who is the world's number 1 bad guy then? Kim? Also, super glad that I'm too old to be drafted at this point.

Putin, MBS, Trump himself. The US President, whoever it is, is responsible for more civilian deaths than that dude.

Since we are in the business of killing state actors who support terrorism now, how about we pay attention to the Kingdom of Saud now.

For the record, I'm glad this guy is dead. I hate the hypocrisy around it, the timing, the false equivalencies I've seen to this being similar to bin Laden, and the dickhead who supposedly ordered it.

Great post.

Erik Prince must be pissed about sending his killer mercs home.

Yeah twitter is hysterical right now. FAFSA is actually trending because kids are worried they signed up for selective service through the form.

I remember feeling the same way right after 9/11. This is a big fucking deal that will likely spiral further out of control but a draft is maybe the 100th thing I would be concerned about right now.

Much more worried about kidnappings, terrorist attacks, the strait of Hormuz closing and shocks to the economy.

Also much more worried that we have an unethical and impeached POTUS at the wheel who gives zero fucks about anyone or anything but himself.

Back