• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Middle East: Saudis Murder & Dismember Washington Post Contributor

I'm waiting on Tom Nichols 'aka THE EXPERT' or John Schindler to weigh in on twitter with the answer.

Yeah, much better to rely on Stephen Miller (no, not the racist white nationalist in Trump's administration, the other racist white nationalist you apparently love on twitter).

The world’s #1 bad guy is someone maybe a few people here heard of before yesterday.

You really believe that?

Trump didn't know who this guy was 4 years ago.

https://theintercept.com/2020/01/03...leimani-was-now-he-may-have-kicked-off-wwiii/

Donate

[h=1]Four Years Ago, Trump Had No Clue Who Iran’s Suleimani Was. Now He May Have Kicked Off WWIII.[/h]Mehdi Hasan

January 3 2020, 8:56 a.m.

GettyImages-1190364618-1578059254.jpg
President Donald Trump makes a video call to the troops stationed worldwide at the Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Fla., on Dec. 24, 2019.
Photo: Nicholas Kamm/AFP/Getty Images

In September 2015, then-Republican presidential candidate Donald J. Trump appeared on the syndicated radio show of conservative media star, Hugh Hewitt, to talk foreign policy. “Are you familiar with General Suleimani?” Hewitt asked the real estate mogul from Queens.
“Yes,” said Trump, before hesitating. “Go ahead, give me a little … tell me.”
When Hewitt told Trump that Suleimani “runs the Quds Forces,” Trump responded: “I think the Kurds, by the way, have been horribly mistreated by us.”
“No, not the Kurds, the Quds Forces,” Hewitt interjected. “The Iranian Revolutionary Guards, Quds Forces. The bad guys.”
“I thought you said Kurds,” a sheepish Trump replied.
Got that? Candidate Trump confused the Quds Force, an elite Iranian military unit then led by high-profile Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani, with the Kurds, a high-profile ethnic group in the Middle East.

BREAKING: The Pentagon said Friday afternoon that it will deploy an additional 3,500 additional soldiers from the 82nd Airborne Division to the Middle East to bolster security in the region. The soldiers are with the division's "ready brigade," a unit that is trained and prepared to deploy on short notice.

So that whole taking troops out of Syria but not thing was for??? That helped Iran, donkface.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/01/suleimani/604402/

“This strike was aimed at deterring future Iranian attack plans,” the Defense Department announced afterward. “The world is a much safer place today,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo intoned, sounding like the Minister of Truth. “I can assure you that Americans in the region are much safer.”

Only ignoramuses and ideologues claim to know what’s going to happen next, but one prediction I’m willing to make is that events will shortly obliterate these official statements. The strike had nothing to do with deterrence. Pompeo’s own department is warning Americans in Iraq: “U.S. citizens should depart via airline while possible, and failing that, to other countries via land. Due to Iranian-backed militia attacks at the U.S. Embassy compound, all public consular operations are suspended until further notice. U.S. citizens should not approach the Embassy.”

The backlash to this is predictably partisan. However, I feel like every man, women, and child should be incredibly concerned of Trumps mental aptitude to handle the fallout from this. Under strong leadership I feel like this would be a win for America, right now it's an incredible liability with potentially catastrophic consequences.

Very scary times are ahead of us, and I'm not sure America is prepared for it.

Questions: Why are American's citizens in Iraq? Are they like contractors profiting off rebuilding the country or something?

The backlash to this is predictably partisan. However, I feel like every man, women, and child should be incredibly concerned of Trumps mental aptitude to handle the fallout from this. Under strong leadership I feel like this would be a win for America, right now it's an incredible liability with potentially catastrophic consequences.

Presidents of both parties had opportunities to kill this guy and chose not to do it.

Netanyahu had opportunities to kill him and chose not to do it.

It's not like there isn't a legitimate replacement who has worked with him for decades. There is.

There will be retaliations.

Questions: Why are American's citizens in Iraq? Are they like contractors profiting off rebuilding the country or something?

My father was over there in both Iraq and Afghanistan as a civilian contractor for close to a decade. I'd be scared if I had a family member still in the area.

Presidents of both parties had opportunities to kill this guy and chose not to do it.

Netanyahu had opportunities to kill him and chose not to do it.

It's not like there isn't a legitimate replacement who has worked with him for decades. There is.

There will be retaliations.

Not everyone is fully replaceable and weaknesses can be exposed during successions of power, but I am pretty sure we basically agree with each other on this.

We don't agree that this could ever be a "win" America.

Both sides have opportunities to do it and decided it would be a mistake. There's no way they won't retaliate and create more radicals to attack the US.

We do agree that Trump is a moron and didn't think this through.

We've been drone-striking VIP terrorists since 9/11. Haven't noticed that any of the affected organizations just folded up and quit like the droids losing their mother ship in Clone Wars. Our leadership always claims that every time we capture or blow up some schmuck in the middle east, it's going to disrupt plans and make us safer, but there's little actual evidence of that. Just seems like an ongoing cycle of violence with little to no value as a deterrent and no strategy to get to an acceptable end result, or even a definition of what an end result looks like. And that goes for all three administrations since 9/11.

We've been drone-striking VIP terrorists since 9/11. Haven't noticed that any of the affected organizations just folded up and quit like the droids losing their mother ship in Clone Wars. Our leadership always claims that every time we capture or blow up some schmuck in the middle east, it's going to disrupt plans and make us safer, but there's little actual evidence of that. Just seems like an ongoing cycle of violence with little to no value as a deterrent and no strategy to get to an acceptable end result, or even a definition of what an end result looks like. And that goes for all three administrations since 9/11.

This guy was more than a VIP terrorist. He was a senior member of a nation's government.

Is it a rule you have to know someone for more than 4 years before bombing them?

It’s not college football. The #1 bad guy is probably somebody who people have known about more than four years.

Good post.

Yep. They just replace VIP terrorist with another VIP terrorist. And they’ll replace this General with another general.

The goal is perpetual war and the end result is more like Canto Bight than droids folding up.

Well said.

Back