• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mike Buddie (Assoc AD) Leaving for Furman AD Opening

When Wellman retires, which I don't think happens for at least another half-decade, WF needs to pull out the full court press to go get John Currie.

Man I hope you are wrong on this. :(

Anyone know what his contract looks like? Does he have a contract?

Should have rephrased that. I do not think he plans on leaving before that. Obviously things, internally and externally, can change that.

When Wellman retires, which I don't think happens for at least another half-decade, WF needs to pull out the full court press to go get John Currie.

Man I hope you are wrong on this. :(

I think both Hatch and Wellman are out of here within 2-3 years, and everything I've heard indicates Wellman plans to leave before we get a new president so he can control who takes over in his place.

I think both Hatch and Wellman are out of here within 2-3 years, and everything I've heard indicates Wellman plans to leave before we get a new president so he can control who takes over in his place.

Why?

Hatch is pretty much just waiting out the end of the Wake Will campaign, and like I said I think Wellman wants no part of a new president trying to run the hiring process for the next AD. Mostly speculation on my part based on some stuff I've heard from those on the inside the last couple years.

Hatch and Wellman are roughly the same age, right around 70. Hard to believe anybody who has socked away the kind of cash those two have wouldn't want a little time in retirement to enjoy it.

I wouldn't pretend to know how the internal operations, management, etc. look. Just saying it's conceivable.

I think if they were doing there jobs well, our athletics teams would win more.

I think if they were doing there jobs well, our athletics teams would win more.

Well again, just looking at non-winning aspects of Buddie's job (and this was from 2011):

In laymen’s terms, what do you do at WFU?
I oversee several of our athletic programs (baseball, Men’s & Women’s Golf and Women’s Soccer) which includes scheduling, travel, budget oversight and tracking academic progress of our student-athletes. I also maintain relationships with several donors and continue to cultivate those relationships for major gift opportunities. I oversee our Construction, Event Management, Multi-Media and Auxiliary Revenue Units. I am also involved with special projects such as contracts, conference issues, NCAA legislation, and Capital Projects.

Hatch and Wellman are roughly the same age, right around 70. Hard to believe anybody who has socked away the kind of cash those two have wouldn't want a little time in retirement to enjoy it.

I never thought of it that way, but you may be right. I guess I have a Hearn-model in my mind about what the head of Wake Forest is supposed to "do", but this gig could be Hatch's professional victory lap. Man, I like the guy even less now.

Well again, just looking at non-winning aspects of Buddie's job (and this was from 2011):

If done correctly, those should lead to wins.

I never thought of it that way, but you may be right. I guess I have a Hearn-model in my mind about what the head of Wake Forest is supposed to "do", but this gig could be Hatch's professional victory lap. Man, I like the guy even less now.

A legitimate critique of higher education is that it's an easy place for people in retirement age who used to be productive to rest on their laurels and cash the biggest checks of their career.

Why would anybody hire anyone for any position that's associated with this abortion of an athletic department

A person can not speak anything truer than this. It is not like we are even scoring Capital One points with this athletic director. I would think Mike Buddie would take the Pembroke athletic directors job or Tusculum athletic directors job just to get away from his boss he has now. A lot of others have left so why not him.

Apparently, the Wake AD needs to be in real estate. Wellman's legacy is what he has bought/built instead of what he has done or won. Maybe Wake can be the next HGTV reality series: "Flip this Athletic Dept."

Running out of concessions is an irritating reminder that some details of our athletic operations are not tended.

Back