• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mike Buddie (Assoc AD) Leaving for Furman AD Opening

even though it is located in SC, greenville is certainly a better place than W-S

When Wellman retires, which I don't think happens for at least another half-decade, WF needs to pull out the full court press to go get John Currie.

Why does everyone keep talking about Currie? He already has a better job than the Wake Forest job

Also, IMO Mike Buddie would be a very good AD at Wake

Why does everyone keep talking about Currie? He already has a better job than the Wake Forest job

Also, IMO Mike Buddie would be a very good AD at Wake

John may choose not to come back to Wake, but I think he's among your first calls.

He may be a good guy and a strong Assoc AD, but MB should not even be in the consideration set. He needs to get some experience running something first. The Furman job seems like a great fit for both sides.

even though it is located in SC, greenville is certainly a better place than W-S

I'm a huge SC>NC homer, but Greenville is so meh. I've never understood the hype. Sure, the downtown has undergone a nice transformation, but traffic is absolutely miserable and it's too far from the coast by SC standards.

People from the upstate are a strange breed.

I'm a huge SC>NC homer, but Greenville is so meh. I've never understood the hype. Sure, the downtown has undergone a nice transformation, but traffic is absolutely miserable and it's too far from the coast by SC standards.

color me shocked that a SC>NC person has trouble with basic concepts. greenville is the only non coastal part of SC that is worth a shit.

Indeed. Anderson, Spartanburg, columbia, augusts, florence, gaffney all pretty much suck.

Almost all the votes against taking the rebel flag down came from the upstate and there has been little to no backlash against those who voted no from their constituents. Just saying.

GSP is 3:30 from Charleston and its beaches, W-S at least 4 hours from Wilmington. GSP also is 1 hour max from the mountains not sure about WS. On another note Furman's new Pres is pouring a lot more dough into athletics and they are tired of being upstaged by rival Wofford.

Are we really debating qualitative differences between Greenville SC and Winston-Salem? In the grand scheme there's not much difference.

yes there is. W-S has Wake Forest and is still much shittier

How many of the Greenville, SC sympathizers here have spent more than a day there?

Wellman did some good things for Wake in the early part of his tenure as AD. Much of it has been facilities related - Deacon Tower, other stadium improvements and renovation, buying Ernie Shore, buying the Joel- and fund raising for major projects. He also made some good hires early on (Grobe, Skip). He was pretty regularly cited as an AD who did a lot with the resources he had.

Much of that changed about the time Hatch replaced Hearn. Coincidence or cause and effect, or some of both?

There were multiple hires that were no where near that quality. One wonders if he lost his eye for quality people or no longer understands what qualities are needed to coach today, or did he just get lazy and/or tired.

Sometime soon Wake needs to make Wellman "Athletic Director Emeritus" and get someone with a fresh perspective in his seat.

Back