• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mike Leach

This is the only place I’m seeing this:

If deleted it’s Bill Snyder tweeting RIP

Last edited:
Honest question that I have wondered but don't know the answer to. Do "famous" people (or just those with advanced access) not do more health screenings than us normal folks? Like a coach or a major university, I feel like they could just walk into any state of the art facility and ask for a CT coronary angiogram and get it done within minutes. Is that not something folks do or are major heart attacks like this so random that even advanced screening can't predict it? I just feel like if I was a coach, or any famous person for that matter, one of the main perks I would take advantage of is increased access to state of the art medical facilities for preventative purposes.

Honest question that I have wondered but don't know the answer to. Do "famous" people (or just those with advanced access) not do more health screenings than us normal folks? Like a coach or a major university, I feel like they could just walk into any state of the art facility and ask for a CT coronary angiogram and get it done within minutes. Is that not something folks do or are major heart attacks like this so random that even advanced screening can't predict it? I just feel like if I was a coach, or any famous person for that matter, one of the main perks I would take advantage of is increased access to state of the art medical facilities for preventative purposes.

In the Triad, I believe Novant offers completely free screenings, via ultrasound, of the upper neck and head area such as the carotid arteries. It claims to be an excellent predictor of potential cardiovascular issues.

I know it's advertised quite frequently in the area.

In the Triad, I believe Novant offers completely free screenings, via ultrasound, of the upper neck and head area such as the carotid arteries. It claims to be an excellent predictor of potential cardiovascular issues.

I know it's advertised quite frequently in the area.

I had no idea, thanks for sharing

I worked in a cardiac cath lab for a dozen years. Predictive medicine is a good indicator, but not 100% accurate. However, it's one of the best options we have.

I can't tell you the number of conversations I had with patients who came in with massive MIs who just recently had a negative stress test and/or CT, and others who had surgically indicated disease via CT, only to have clean cors. The only true way to know is a cardiac catheterization, which regular testing isn't feasible nor good for the kidneys.

I’ve been through similar loss with family members. One moment they are with you, and then lightning strikes and they are gone. I hurt for the Leach family. College football will be a gloomier place without the pirate coach.

I think a lot of high level coaches are just as bad, if not worse, than workaholics in any industry. They put off preventive care and put hours in at the office instead.

I think a lot of high level coaches are just as bad, if not worse, than workaholics in any industry. They put off preventive care and put hours in at the office instead.
My brother was born with a bicuspid aortic valve. He was the managing partner of a CPA firm and had a type A+++ personality, regularly working 70+ hours a week. His cardiologist kept telling him to have corrective surgery. He finally agreed 6 months before his 65th birthday. The surgeon said he had the most diseased valve he had ever seen.

My brother suffered a catastrophic stroke a week after the surgery, died a month later, and was buried on my birthday.

I had a heart attack when I was 37. Had a full blockage and the cath lab at Mission Hospital saved me. The only pain I had was in my left arm. Nothing in my chest. I randomly saw a friend I hadn’t seen in a long time and offhandedly mentioned my arm was hurting. He told me to go to the ER right away. I didn’t, I figured I was 37 I wasn’t having a heart attack. The pain got worse and I went a few hours later and was in the cath lab stat. I often think how I’d be dead if not for that out of the ordinary conversation with a friend. Nothing preventive would’ve helped me, I do not believe, but I have no way of knowing. You just never know. Life is fragile. I believe mine was stress related. I wasn’t managing a law practice well. I’m sure Leach faces lots of stress. I am praying for him and his family. I encourage everyone to figure out a way to manage stress in your life. Having a heart attack totally changed my life and in most ways for the better.

Side note: since having a STEMI I’ve noticed the media very often confused STEMIs with cardiac arrest. I didn’t know the difference before I went through it. Maybe I missed something but do we know Leach had a STEMI vs cardiac arrest.

My brother was born with a bicuspid aortic valve. He was the managing partner of a CPA firm and had a type A+++ personality, regularly working 70+ hours a week. His cardiologist kept telling him to have corrective surgery. He finally agreed 6 months before his 65th birthday. The surgeon said he had the most diseased valve he had ever seen.

My brother suffered a catastrophic stroke a week after the surgery, died a month later, and was buried on my birthday.
I’m a managing partner of a CPA firm and while plenty of jobs involve a lot of stress and hours, I can so relate to your brother. So sorry for your loss.

I had a heart attack when I was 37. Had a full blockage and the cath lab at Mission Hospital saved me. The only pain I had was in my left arm. Nothing in my chest. I randomly saw a friend I hadn’t seen in a long time and offhandedly mentioned my arm was hurting. He told me to go to the ER right away. I didn’t, I figured I was 37 I wasn’t having a heart attack. The pain got worse and I went a few hours later and was in the cath lab stat. I often think how I’d be dead if not for that out of the ordinary conversation with a friend. Nothing preventive would’ve helped me, I do not believe, but I have no way of knowing. You just never know. Life is fragile. I believe mine was stress related. I wasn’t managing a law practice well. I’m sure Leach faces lots of stress. I am praying for him and his family. I encourage everyone to figure out a way to manage stress in your life. Having a heart attack totally changed my life and in most ways for the better.

Side note: since having a STEMI I’ve noticed the media very often confused STEMIs with cardiac arrest. I didn’t know the difference before I went through it. Maybe I missed something but do we know Leach had a STEMI vs cardiac arrest.

You and I are in the minority cases where we got cathed before an MI. I got mine done because of a nasty aFib episode and we wanted to rule out blockages...sure enough they found an 85-90% blockage in an artery and stented it. I was on a collision course with a heart attack in the next year or two.

Tomorrow is never promised. I am very aware of how fortunate I was that they fixed a blockage, but also the role great health insurance played in the whole process.

Everything I've seen so far just generically called it a heart attack.

The youngest person I remember stenting was 38, but luckily, he came in with stable angina, and it never progressed to an MI. He had absolutely zero traditional risk factors and worked a highly stressful job.

That sucks. I liked that dude. In spite of being in an industry world that demands conformity, he seemed to stay his weird, authentic self. Godspeed, Pirate!

Back