• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Missouri Football Players Strike

Don't know many of the facts here, but seems like all this strike does is tell presidents that they need to send an All Campus "this won't be tolerated" email when these things happen to distance themselves from it. If the players want to fix the problem, strike until [desired change in campus security/policies/etc] is made, not until the president is fired.

If I'm the president, I make a statement that I'm obviously not in support of the actions, make some change in campus security or code enforcement to show I'm doing something to fix it, and then say if Pinkel/the players continue to strike, they're welcome to find a new job/start paying for school.

edit: Didn't see the list of demands linked above. Hope the administration gives them some of the productive changes that they're demanding. And if they get anything from the administration, they probably shouldn't push their luck and hold out for more - they're non-unionized, non-employee members of sub-500 team.

Last edited:
Demanding him to write a letter of apology and then be replaced is a ridiculous demand.

Just had a mental picture of Sharpton and Pinkel holding a news conference.

I don't know how much year to year turnover there is in a typical university faculty, but I would think staff members will have to be removed and replaced in order for demand number five to be met.

People who are on national TV every week don't really need Sharpton's help getting attention for their cause.

Side with his players or side with his paycheck and boosters.

And lose his team and eventually his job due to performance.

I'm glad he sided with the players but let's not pretend that this wasn't the smart play by Pinkel.

Might also serve as a nice way to deflect attention from a down year on the field.
Are the white players not joining in support?

Got my PhD at Mizzou, so as an alumni (who did not give one shit about athletics there) I fully support this effort. I do wonder though if the football players realize that they are playing for a school who mascot name comes from the pro-slavery anti Union illegal militia that marauded around central Missouri attking Union troops stationed there during and after the Civil war.

When did killing a bunch of Yankees in the 1860s become a bad thing?

The Civil and Jayhawk wars were fucked. Nobody was civil. Everyone was a monster. Dropping righteous indignation about one side or the other is just ignorant

Got my PhD at Mizzou, so as an alumni (who did not give one shit about athletics there) I fully support this effort. I do wonder though if the football players realize that they are playing for a school who mascot name comes from the pro-slavery anti Union illegal militia that marauded around central Missouri attking Union troops stationed there during and after the Civil war.

For all the money and time that went into your doctorate you should also be angry that you weren't taught that "alumni" is plural.

Did I read someone drew a swastika in their own shit?

What a clusterfuck... DNA test that shit.

When did killing a bunch of Yankees in the 1860s become a bad thing?

The Civil and Jayhawk wars were fucked. Nobody was civil. Everyone was a monster. Dropping righteous indignation about one side or the other is just ignorant

Oh, so war sucks, ok I think I understand now.

No righteous indignation on my part, just pointing out a wee bit of irony....with awful grammar/typos (sorry, typing on my phone). Could it be that you're the one with righteous indignation about my supposed righteous indignation?... that would also be a wee bit ironic.

Oh, so war sucks, ok I think I understand now.

No righteous indignation on my part, just pointing out a wee bit of irony....with awful grammar/typos (sorry, typing on my phone). Could it be that you're the one with righteous indignation about my supposed righteous indignation?... that would also be a wee bit ironic.

I just want you to understand proper outrage. I honestly appreciated the history anecdote but your #tone was super 21st wannabe relevant douche. Just trying to keep you in check.

The Jayhawks were equally as savage and Kansas flaunts that image 24-7. But yeah feel free to pile on.

What is a "super 21st wannabe relevant douche"?

Back