• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Missouri Football Players Strike

21st century. Century got cut out when I was editing. My B.

And to your question. Townie you're definitely a candidate.

At times.

I'm sure I am but I don't understand the insult.

I just want you to understand proper outrage. I honestly appreciated the history anecdote but your #tone was super 21st wannabe relevant douche. Just trying to keep you in check.

The Jayhawks were equally as savage and Kansas flaunts that image 24-7. But yeah feel free to pile on.

So your vision is that you are educating me in proper out rage; thanks but not really necessary here. There was zero out rage in my post. None whatsoever. Just a bunch of bad typos, a statement of support for the players, and a comment about historical irony. I find irony amusing, not outrageous, unless it is super duper ironic. Seems like maybe you just want to be mad or self righteous about something today.

You're probably right. I'm just super hungover and being an Internet dick. Once again I appreciated the history fact.

Norm Stewart four life

If you read proposal #6, for the retention of marginalized students. Are they saying that "D" students should be kept so that new "B" students from HS can't enroll? #8, Social Justice Centers? How many do they need? Sounds like a real cushy job for life. What will happen when they forfeit their next games or have their 'ships pulled in January?

If you read proposal #6, for the retention of marginalized students. Are they saying that "D" students should be kept so that new "B" students from HS can't enroll? #8, Social Justice Centers? How many do they need? Sounds like a real cushy job for life. What will happen when they forfeit their next games or have their 'ships pulled in January?

"Marginalized" has nothing to do with academic performance. I'm guess you knew that and were being cute.

Nothing like this has happened before. Football players haven't threatened to strike before. Isn't that a pretty strong sign of just how bad things are at Mizzou?

"Marginalized" has nothing to do with academic performance. I'm guess you knew that and were being cute.

Nothing like this has happened before. Football players haven't threatened to strike before. Isn't that a pretty strong sign of just how bad things are at Mizzou?

Although I realize that you're taking issue with the use of "marginalized" in the context of the proposal, students' being marginalized has quite a lot to do with academic performance (and I'm certain you'd agree).

Also, the football players at Northwestern did strike, didn't they?

Academic performance may suffer due to being marginalized but it doesn't mean what he said it did.

The Northwestern players threatened to form a union.

One of the things to keep in mind is that Missouri as a state is incredibly white (83.5% as a state) and the University of Missouri reflects that, being one of the whitest state universities in the US (79% of undergraduates) ... that's slightly higher than Wake even, and Wake is an expensive private school.

Race issues in the state and at the university are going to be an issue in that environment, and a tone deaf administration has not helped at all.

If ESPN had any balls, they would send Gameday to the BYU-Missouri game, whether it is going to played or not.

Did I read someone drew a swastika in their own shit?

What a clusterfuck... DNA test that shit.

Smidge is a perfect example of the CSI fill in the blank city generation. Yes, DNA testing would give you part 1, where is part 2 coming from? Unless you have committed a crime, and even that is only in a few states, or they already have a suspect DNA does nothing.

Smidge is a perfect example of the CSI fill in the blank city generation. Yes, DNA testing would give you part 1, where is part 2 coming from? Unless you have committed a crime, and even that is only in a few states, or they already have a suspect DNA does nothing.

Yeah, but whoever did it is going to shit again. You just have to check everybody's shit.

What specifically has the president done or failed to do that merits his removal? None of the handful of articles I've read really outline anything specific. This isn't just over the lack of reaction to the poo drawing.

Kudos to the football team for recognizing how much clout they have and putting it to use. Without them this is just another protest and probably doesn't garner national attention. They are putting a lot at risk (scholarships are obviously renewable annually), but the university has way more to lose if they punish these players for the boycott. Pinkel joining them effectively pressures the university into firing him if they decide they want to pull the scholarships of the players involved. No way can they be tone deaf enough to pull scholarships from black athletes and allow the white coach who stands with them to remain.

I know this is probably an absurd thing to think, but Pinkle might have just made Missouri football a more attractive place for minority players with his show of solidarity.

What specifically has the president done or failed to do that merits his removal? None of the handful of articles I've read really outline anything specific. This isn't just over the lack of reaction to the poo drawing.

I don't think it's any secret that race relations in the state of Missouri are a complete and absolute disaster right now - seems like there has been a lot of tension on campus which has been at a steady boil since Ferguson basically (remember, MU mostly draws from the eastern / south-eastern part of the state) and a few especially egregious incidents finally set off the powder keg. This is just act 4 of a 5 part play that started in the StL suburbs and has played out across the entire state.

It's definitely a bit cherry picked, and Yik Yak can be a shitpile at many campuses ... but stuff like this sounds like it's fairly common on social media at MU (vadtoy has a lot of family in central Missouri ... it's a ... yeah, this doesn't shock me).

6358262045396218171138571861_Screen%20Shot%202015-11-08%20at%204.17.26%20PM.png

Yik Yak is a cesspool of anonymous hatred.

It's fueled the fire for a lot of problems at Wake Forest, too.

I don't think it's any secret that race relations in the state of Missouri are a complete and absolute disaster right now - seems like there has been a lot of tension on campus which has been at a steady boil since Ferguson basically (remember, MU mostly draws from the eastern / south-eastern part of the state) and a few especially egregious incidents finally set off the powder keg. This is just act 4 of a 5 part play that started in the StL suburbs and has played out across the entire state.

Right, but what specifically did the president do or fail to do? Should he have sent out a long letter after a specific incident? I get the protesting, but I don't get the specific target because it's not being reported clearly.

Back