• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Missouri Football Players Strike

He's in charge. The complaints seem more centered around inaction than action, and an attempt to minimize the problem, at least as far as race is concerned.

I agree, but it would seem that rather than forced resignation, it would be force to act, if inaction is the complaint. Punishment doesnt seem to fit the crime from what I have read. But it is their right to protest, and the protesters certainly were able to achieve their goal, so more power to them. The president clearly was not well liked by anyone that I can see, so he was gone at some point anyway.

Also seems to be somewhat of a straw that broke the camel's back. Not all the complaints against him were race-related, but his failure to respond to racially motivated events added another cohort of people who wanted him out. Vad lays out a lot of the problems, but the graduate workers went on strike a few weeks ago and it was a pretty big deal in the university employment world.

Not all that different than Sterling/Clippers. Guy was terrible, momentum was building, then some messed up racial shit goes down and it's a catalyst to get him removed. Obviously there are nuances and it's not that simple, but it seems like a similar situation.

Not all that different than Sterling/Clippers. Guy was terrible, momentum was building, then some messed up racial shit goes down and it's a catalyst to get him removed. Obviously there are nuances and it's not that simple, but it seems like a similar situation.

Yeah, but in that case, he was the one that had committed the act that spurred the action. Bumping into a protester that is blocking the road is a lot different from Sterling's history, and the action that spurred the protest. In case you don't remember...here is the quote from Sterling to his mistress:

"It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you're associating with black people." And: "But why publicize it on the Instagram and why bring it to my games?"

This might be the first time I'm my life I've ever looked forward to what Ann Coulter is going to write about a story. No doubt she's filing her fangs right now. Should be entertaining.

So, are those that planned to boycott all team activities until Wolfe resigned now back to practicing and playing?

So, are those that planned to boycott all team activities until Wolfe resigned now back to practicing and playing?

Yes. That news came less than an hour after the resignation. Were you expecting something else?

I love the idea that the president should have just fired the coach and pulled the scholarships of the players. Completely ignores that college football is big business, and that doing so would be very expensive for the school.

Yes. That news came less than an hour after the resignation. Were you expecting something else?

Didn't watch the announcement. Did they announce an interim or actual replacement? Point being is does the resignation automatically mean the issues will be addressed to the satisfaction of the protestors?

No, simply curious if everything was hunky dory with the football program now. Mizzou has played like crap this season; particularly, in recent weeks, this simmering issue would help explain that.

Is this the first time a high profile public figure (maybe an exaggeration, but I'd say the state university president is certainly "high profile") has lost their job over a race related issue where they aren't actually one of the persons involved in the act of racism itself?

What were the specific incidents, and what was the university response to each? Did they send out emails/tweets/form committees, etc? Or did they do literally nothing at all? If the university responded, what was insufficient about it?

Demanding that he publicly acknowledge his "white male privilege" makes it sound personal, like he had at some point publicly claimed the opposite.

I'm not denying that the protest was necessary to draw attention to the issues at Mizzou, I'm just puzzled how it came down to getting this dude run out of town so quickly. He has to be sitting there thinking he got blindsided by this.

Is this the first time a high profile public figure (maybe an exaggeration, but I'd say the state university president is certainly "high profile") has lost their job over a race related issue where they aren't actually one of the persons involved in the act of racism itself?

What were the specific incidents, and what was the university response to each? Did they send out emails/tweets/form committees, etc? Or did they do literally nothing at all? If the university responded, what was insufficient about it?

I think that's the danger in something like this, what are the specific failings of the President? There can be a big difference in something being handled or responded to in a grossly insufficient manner and the response just simply being insufficient in a group of people's opinion. The Sterling example is apples to oranges, Sterling was shown to be a racist pig, the Missou President hasn't really been shown to really be to be guilty of anything I've seen. Not saying he isn't, but I haven't really seen it. Inaction can make someone just as guilty as action can, but what if any were the universities responses?

Have you all read the articles linked in this thread?

Demanding that he publicly acknowledge his "white male privilege" makes it sound personal, like he had at some point publicly claimed the opposite.

I'm not denying that the protest was necessary to draw attention to the issues at Mizzou, I'm just puzzled how it came down to getting this dude run out of town so quickly. He has to be sitting there thinking he got blindsided by this.

As I've said earlier, I think the lack of response to race issues is just the most recent incident in a series that bothered people. His background is in business with no academic experience prior to the appointment (those never go well), which probably had a lot to do with the faculty involvement in calling for his resignation. The graduate students had a big walkout a few months ago and won back benefits that were cut: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sarah-sabatke/grad-students-lose-health-insurance_b_8071666.html. He tried to shut down the university's publishing operation, but backed down after protests.

Ultimately, it seems like he was a lackey for state government-sponsored cuts who was pretty tone-deaf to important school issues, like race relations. I don't think this incident in a vacuum gets him canned.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...uris-president-now-taking-protests-seriously/

Need to stay in the safety of private institutions of higher education now that the millennial generation is out there ready to be offended. Emory's president invoked the 3/5ths compromise as a policy that should be emulated and that guy is still cashing checks.

Part of the problem with this discussion is that it is being narrowed down to being a race related issue while the person who was the face of this protest was it doing for the lack of a response by the administration for a multitude of situations that arose and not all of them pertained to race.

Back