• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Missouri Football Players Strike

Right, but what specifically did the president do or fail to do? Should he have sent out a long letter after a specific incident? I get the protesting, but I don't get the specific target because it's not being reported clearly.

Play football - that's why you're there for free. If you want to protest, quit football and do that.

Missouri's not the most conservative state in the country, but it isn't a swing state either. Michael Sam was a Captain at Mizzou. Don't know much about the school or the town, but it can't be representative of the state. Would be a lot worse in Chapel Hil or Austin since there's a bigger political differential between those schools, towns, and states. Would never happen in Alabama, but still surprising it's happening at any SEC school other than Vandy.

If the situation is as bad as we're being led to believe, I don't blame the players for striking and protesting, the football program especially at a big state school carries a very big stick. The concern is the precedent that could be set for doing this over things that really don't warrant it.

Right, but what specifically did the president do or fail to do? Should he have sent out a long letter after a specific incident? I get the protesting, but I don't get the specific target because it's not being reported clearly.

This is my question. I don't doubt the oppression/racism...etc. But what did the president actually do to deserve to be the brunt of the attacks? I saw that he poorly answered a question about how he would define systematic oppression, but they were calling for his head before that. What exactly did he do that warrants being the chief target? I am not defending him at all. I assume there is something, and I want to know what it is. I just haven't been able to find it.

His car also hit a protester during the homecoming parade (the guy who is now on a hunger strike) when they blocked the route. He also has done a bunch of other unpopular stuff (removed health benefits for grad student employees, barred a local doctor from admittance rights at the University Hospital for being affiliated with Planned Parenthood, etc).

His car also hit a protester during the homecoming parade (the guy who is now on a hunger strike) when they blocked the route. He also has done a bunch of other unpopular stuff (removed health benefits for grad student employees, barred a local doctor from admittance rights at the University Hospital for being affiliated with Planned Parenthood, etc).

So:

1. Presidents car hit a protester during a parade when the route was blocked

The other two don't seem to be related to race issues at all. The first one is pretty weak to be honest. I doubt he floored it and steered into the guy. IF that is the summation of the reasoning it just sounds to me like he is unpopular with the student body and apparently the faculty, and they are using the real existence of poor race relations and bigotry to remove a president that hasn't blatantly been involved in any of the reasons they are claiming the protest is about.

If you want to get rid of someone, just get rid of them. But i wouldn't couch it underneath a real issue that is tangentially related at best.

Watching the livestream. He's resigning.

One of the things to keep in mind is that Missouri as a state is incredibly white (83.5% as a state) and the University of Missouri reflects that, being one of the whitest state universities in the US (79% of undergraduates) ... that's slightly higher than Wake even, and Wake is an expensive private school.

Race issues in the state and at the university are going to be an issue in that environment, and a tone deaf administration has not helped at all.

I was born and raised in North Carolina and my fiancée is from St. Louis and most of her family went to Mizzou. I can tell you in all the years that I lived in NC that I have never met people more racist than I have in Missouri.

Watching the livestream. He's resigning.

Not sure he had much choice if the students and faculty are both behind it. I still can't figure out the race angle. Perhaps they are just claiming he has fostered an environment of racial oppression. Usually with a protest you have a legitimate event that sparks the fire. Seems to me this was more of a slow drip of ineffectiveness or unrest with the student body and faculty. Very strange, but it does go to show the power of solidarity. Bernie Sanders would be proud. This was exactly what he is talking about.

Anyone else encouraged by this as a blueprint for getting Wellman to resign? I mean Wellman has certainly fostered an environment of losing in the money sports.

Anyone else encouraged by this as a blueprint for getting Wellman to resign? I mean Wellman has certainly fostered an environment of losing in the money sports.

Have you seen our football team lately ? Would anyone know or care if they were on strike ?

Players strike because we've had teams with bad players? You're a fucking idiot.

Not sure he had much choice if the students and faculty are both behind it. I still can't figure out the race angle. Perhaps they are just claiming he has fostered an environment of racial oppression. Usually with a protest you have a legitimate event that sparks the fire. Seems to me this was more of a slow drip of ineffectiveness or unrest with the student body and faculty. Very strange, but it does go to show the power of solidarity. Bernie Sanders would be proud. This was exactly what he is talking about.

He's in charge. The complaints seem more centered around inaction than action, and an attempt to minimize the problem, at least as far as race is concerned.

He's in charge. The complaints seem more centered around inaction than action, and an attempt to minimize the problem, at least as far as race is concerned.

Also seems to be somewhat of a straw that broke the camel's back. Not all the complaints against him were race-related, but his failure to respond to racially motivated events added another cohort of people who wanted him out. Vad lays out a lot of the problems, but the graduate workers went on strike a few weeks ago and it was a pretty big deal in the university employment world.

Back