• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MLS 2013

Pretty much every USL team is pumping up imminent big news right now on Twitter, with some mentioning 3pm specifically. I can only assume that it will be the formal announcement of the long rumored partnership with MLS. Depending on the details this could be a huge positive step.

Pretty much every USL team is pumping up imminent big news right now on Twitter, with some mentioning 3pm specifically. I can only assume that it will be the formal announcement of the long rumored partnership with MLS. Depending on the details this could be a huge positive step.

New England has made a verbal agreement with the Rochester Rhinos. More than a little disappointed they chose to affiliate with a team outside of NE, as I thought MLS teams with no USL-Pro team would create their own.

Agree that it's a big step forward for MLS.

My son's HS roomate (Mark Linnville) was picked in the 2nd round by Philly. How good or bad is the team going to be? Also, what do MLS players make?

My son's HS roomate (Mark Linnville) was picked in the 2nd round by Philly. How good or bad is the team going to be? Also, what do MLS players make?

He was picked in the 2nd round of the supplemental draft, which is essentially the 4th round of the draft(2 rounds of SuperDraft then 4 rounds of supplemental draft). There's only 11 players from last year's supplemental draft who are still on MLS rosters this season. So the chances are very low he'll stick around. That said, some of the top players came through via the supplemental draft(Wondolowski, Larentowicz). Being drafted means that Philly owns his MLS rights, but chances are he doesn't get offered a contract during pre-season. That said, there are other professional leagues below MLS where he could find a place if things don't work out at Philly.

MLS minimum salary is around $50,000 this year I think.

And there's the announcement regarding USL-Pro.

http://uslpro.uslsoccer.com/scripts/runisa.dll?M2:gp::72013+L3/Display+E+NDX+NDX+690349

Each MLS team has the option to create a partnership with a USL - Pro team. Those that do will send a minimum of 4 players on a season long loan. Those MLS teams which chose not to create a partnership will play 2 matches against USL-Pro sides as part of their Reserve League.

NE - Rochester
SKC - Orlando City

More to be announced...

Last edited:
Strong rumors that DC and Richmond will have an affiliation, but nothing officially announced yet.

I can only imagine that Philadelphia and Harrisburg will partner up since they've had a relationship for a couple years now. Logic would say that one of the LA teams (or both in some combo role) would pair with the Blues too, but logic doesn't always belong in these conversations.

I don't like this, afterall. MLS teams will be sending their young talent to be coached by USL-Pro teams rather than their own coaching staff. This works in more developed leagues where the coaching staff at the 3rd division level is there specifically for that purpose, but I don't think we're there yet. Reserve sides are better competition than USL-Pro sides. I'd rather have seen the Reserve teams included with USL-Pro sides to form a 20-24 team league. Perhaps that's in the future.

I don't like this, afterall. MLS teams will be sending their young talent to be coached by USL-Pro teams rather than their own coaching staff. This works in more developed leagues where the coaching staff at the 3rd division level is there specifically for that purpose, but I don't think we're there yet. Reserve sides are better competition than USL-Pro sides. I'd rather have seen the Reserve teams included with USL-Pro sides to form a 20-24 team league. Perhaps that's in the future.

The flaw with that is shown when you actually look at the reserve team lineups last year. They were constantly filled with trialists and academy players, which really isn't ideal. I think sending a few of these guys to actually fight for minutes in a professional environment will be beneficial in the long term, rather than just rotting on the end of the bench and playing in a handful of glorified scrimmages. Also, USL isn't the highest standard, but some of the better teams are definitely better, and certainly more cohesive, than MLS reserves.

I have heard that the longer term plan is to integrate MLS reserve teams into the USL league structure, perhaps even as soon as 2014. It was obviously a little too late for both parties to get that sorted out this season.

The flaw with that is shown when you actually look at the reserve team lineups last year. They were constantly filled with trialists and academy players, which really isn't ideal. I think sending a few of these guys to actually fight for minutes in a professional environment will be beneficial in the long term, rather than just rotting on the end of the bench and playing in a handful of glorified scrimmages. Also, USL isn't the highest standard, but some of the better teams are definitely better, and certainly more cohesive, than MLS reserves.

I have heard that the longer term plan is to integrate MLS reserve teams into the USL league structure, perhaps even as soon as 2014. It was obviously a little too late for both parties to get that sorted out this season.

That's what I'm hoping for eventually. I'm happy they're trying to increase player development. I think it's going to take awhile to see results, but it's definitely needed. The problem with the Reserve league now is there are not nearly enough matches to develop a player who isn't ready for MLS minutes. If MLS teams were to expand their roster(or more likely include ready Academy players) they'd be able to put together a 15-18 player roster for Reserve matches using contracted players who don't see the field in MLS matches. I am glad that some of these 18-20 year old guys who never play for their MLS team will have the chance to get 1,000-2,000 minutes of playing time now.

New England has made a verbal agreement with the Rochester Rhinos. More than a little disappointed they chose to affiliate with a team outside of NE, as I thought MLS teams with no USL-Pro team would create their own.

Agree that it's a big step forward for MLS.

Rochester - Boston is only about a half hour further than Rochester - NYC

Any interest in a fantasy league this year? 6-8 table format maybe? just to switch it up

If we do fantasy this year, I'd love to try to use the MLS system (or another) instead of our google spreadsheet.

I'll set up a league on the MLS site. You guys want a head to head or classic format?

Also jersey week has been pretty cool. Toronto's new shirts and Colorado's new shirts are especially cool. Toronto's home has a background of a giant maple leaf, and Colorado's has the name of every season ticket holder on it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...02/27/mls-institutes-mass-confrontation-rule/

1. Troubled by swarms of players disrupting a match, the league’s board of governors has approved a rule that would penalize teams and coaches when three or more individuals confront a referee or opponent.

2. Players, coaches and team personnel, aside from medical staff, are subject to suspension for leaving the bench area and entering the field. (The NBA has a similar rule.)
3. Any action involving a hand to the face or head of an opponent, even a light slap with the purpose of inciting and not injuring, is subject to fine and suspension.
4. A coach or staff member approaching match officials from the time they arrive at the stadium until they depart is subject to fine and suspension. Here, too, there is a lot of gray area: What is the physical threshold — 10 yards or 30 yards? Is a coach allowed to shout from distance? What if the coach and assistant referee cross paths on the sideline and words are exchanged?

#1. Not sure how I feel about this. If a teammate were to get headbutt/punched, I have no problem with his teammates rushing to his aid. On the other hand, there are few things I hate more than 4 players running up to an official after a bad tackle or penalty call. There is no doubt that influences an officials decision.
#2 seems like a pretty obvious rule.
#3 I like, though I would prefer they made the punishment more clear.
#4 is too vague.

TFC_primaryfront%28FORMATTED%29.jpg

I'm in. I'm hot with EPL fantasy, now I must make MLS my bitch! (I can draft Suarez right...?)

The Bouchedags will play again. We promise to remain attentive over the last 8 weeks of the season.

Back