• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mod fight on DeaconSports Premium!

You are right, but if it had been kept under wraps, they probably wouldn't have found out about our premature contact.

With Wilson, the insiders at scout.com did a good job keeping it on the downlow, even amidst some whispers. However, our friends at rivals weren't as tactful, which is probably the single even that caused that to blow up.

A bigger issue I have is with speculation around our own players -- someone else brought this up, but there really shouldn't be public rumormongering about something so personal -- we don't want our players being bombarded on their twitter/facebook about rumors (it happened to McKie earlier), especially when our staffs may be trying to convince them to stay.

I think this is going to happen regardless of any message boards posting this stuff.

Yep. I think these new boards will be a good alternative to the Scout boards (which will still be a good board) once it gets over itself. I understand it's new and exciting, but when it settles down and stops defining itself by what it's not (DS), and pumping itself up because it's not DS, it will be a great asset to the Wake online community.

*Also, this isn't a comment on the creators/mods, who I think have done a decent job at trying to cut off these boards being the buzzOut/Attentionwhore/juvenile board and have tried to create something that works. But the mob/belonging to a "movement" mentality (Yeah Us, Boo DS) of a lot of folks here is a big drawback. Once that cuts down, this will be great.

Agree with you bolt, though I think the us vs them mentality is almost inevitable for the beginning of these boards. Look at all the people and their first posts; they almost always mention something that they didn't like about DS, and how they came here because it's different.

In a couple months, I think the us vs them mentality will be much less present but it will definitely take some time.

You are right, but if it had been kept under wraps, they probably wouldn't have found out about our premature contact.

With Wilson, the insiders at scout.com did a good job keeping it on the downlow, even amidst some whispers. However, our friends at rivals weren't as tactful, which is probably the single even that caused that to blow up.

agreed

A bigger issue I have is with speculation around our own players -- someone else brought this up, but there really shouldn't be public rumormongering about something so personal -- we don't want our players being bombarded on their twitter/facebook about rumors (it happened to McKie earlier), especially when our staffs may be trying to convince them to stay.

meh

Re: Wilson and Downey, those things shouldn't be happening in Wellman's new "culture," so if anything, message boards function as a watchdog in this scenario. Yay, Interwebz!

Agree that the rumors/speculation about our own players will be tough to manage. We'll do our best by maintaining an active, engaged presence in the community. That's why I told Texas it's going to be a case-by-case basis. But a lot of times these guys bring it on themselves - how has Ty Walker been at Wake three years and still not figured out basic social media rules? In situations like that, blaming the boards for commenting on something that's already out there, that I find akin to shooting the messenger.

Take the Josh Harris transfer rumor. If something like that is allowed you spread, you are going to have all of his bois from back home sending him messages telling him to come home, a ton of people questioning him, and then a bunch of fans bashing him for leaving.

Remember the rumor that Matt James had decommitted and gone to Duke? There were a bunch of people writing him off and saying we'd be better off with the open scholarship. Of course, it turned out to be completely false. But for a guy who actually is considering a transfer, stuff like that might be a detriment to the coaches' efforts to keep him around.

Take the Josh Harris transfer rumor. If something like that is allowed you spread, you are going to have all of his bois from back home sending him messages telling him to come home, a ton of people questioning him, and then a bunch of fans bashing him for leaving.

Remember the rumor that Matt James had decommitted and gone to Duke? There were a bunch of people writing him off and saying we'd be better off with the open scholarship. Of course, it turned out to be completely false. But for a guy who actually is considering a transfer, stuff like that might be a detriment to the coaches' efforts to keep him around.

I agree with all of this. But message boards are conduits, not initiates. If the rumors are spread, and they are false, they are false - and will be discounted, like Travis did on Twitter. If they are true, they will be proven true. In the meantime, message boards will function as tempests in the proverbial teapot.

This is a big philosophical break from DS, and some prominent DS posters refuse to post over here because of it. So it goes.

I agree with all of this. But message boards are conduits, not initiates. If the rumors are spread, and they are false, they are false - and will be discounted, like Travis did on Twitter. If they are true, they will be proven true. In the meantime, message boards will function as tempests in the proverbial teapot.

This is a big philosophical break from DS, and some prominent DS posters refuse to post over here because of it. So it goes.

They are also catalysts.

The problem is that most rumors aren't as black and white as that -- most of the time they are based on something truthful. And there are some that shouldn't be discussed in public, imo.

Serious question, how would that happening on the WFU message board be any different than what goes on at every other collegiate message board in the country on a daily basis? Its not just us, it happens everywhere. College athletes will have to deal with this kind of stuff no matter where they attend. Sad but true, its all part of the game.

I feel like Appetite and I just walked out of "The Social Network" and are arguing about the limits of transparency in the Internet Age.

it should come as no surprise to anyone who has paid the slightest bit of attention to any of my posts (which is probably nobody)

Make no mistake, if I saw Milhouse in public, I'd knock his ass down and piss in his face. You bet I hold a grudge against him. His defiant arrogance and hatred deserves it.

LOL

What if we had a twitter box that included all the players' tweets? Would that be fair?

Some of our players make themselves look really fucking stupid by what they tweet. Should we protect them from that as well?

Being more concerned w/ how your school and program is perceived by outsiders, rather than worrying about how your school and program actually is, is the LOWF foundation.

What if we had a twitter box that included all the players' tweets? Would that be fair?

Some of our players make themselves look really fucking stupid by what they tweet. Should we protect them from that as well?

Make this happen!!:thumbsup:

Not really should, but I don't see how any fan wouldn't want to. If one of our players makes themselves look really fucking stupid, I am not going to try and advertise it to the world, no.

After initially responding that the twitter box was cool, I had this thought as well. Do we really want to see what they are saying 24/7? I can just imagine if Scout had one -- half of the older crowd would see something, create a new thread freaking out about it, only to be told the tweet didn't really mean what they thought it meant.

I know we have a younger crowd over here but I have this vision of threads popping up every five minutes scrutinizing each tweet as it hits the web. Not exactly something I want to read.

After initially responding that the twitter box was cool, I had this thought as well. Do we really want to see what they are saying 24/7? I can just imagine if Scout had one -- half of the older crowd would see something, create a new thread freaking out about it, only to be told the tweet didn't really mean what they thought it meant.

I know we have a younger crowd over here but I have this vision of threads popping up every five minutes scrutinizing each tweet as it hits the web. Not exactly something I want to read.

Only one way to find out..

Last edited by a moderator:
It disappoints me when players don't appreciate the opportunity that football gives them to get the kind of education that sets them up for life.

I'm talking to you, Des Cooper and Y'lou.

Isn't Ylou graduating? Yeah what tard...passing up that quality WFU education

Back