• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Model Minority Myth

To the repper (who is also probably the tagger; I can't imagine two different people want my opinion on this thread), I shall not rise to the bait. I can't make a better argument than the disparate outcomes, and if the disparate outcomes didn't persuade you, what chance has public school filth like myself?

If you think that there is nothing to be learned from the Asian-American experience, it seems to me you already have your answer. Don't promote that model. Dismiss it and move on with your better plan. It needn't be more complicated than that.

Shouldn't we promote the white model instead?

These common sense critiques of black cultural problems would probably be given more creedence if they didn't always come in response to complaints of structural racist disparities. Similar to being accused of stealing and responding with advice on where to find more money.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't want to address the OP if I had your arguments either.

I am sure you are correct in each and every opinion. The disparate outcomes are inexplicable. Please continue ignoring the model of the Asian-American experience; it is without value.

I'm certain I'm not. I just want to hear cogent counterarguments that aren't "it is what it is."

I can't provide you any. We'll just have to continue to wonder why people who make responsible family choices, complete their public educations and take available work continue to outperform those people that don't. The world is full of mysteries like these and maybe we're not supposed to know. All I know is when I see that, I look the other way as fast as I can. Nothing to learn from it, that's for sure.

Figures. Much like you looking the other way when you don't like what you see. Looking at only outcomes instead of causes is painful to argue against.

Take the W, Townie. We can't ignore the Asian model fast enough. You have convinced me.

To the repper (who is also probably the tagger; I can't imagine two different people want my opinion on this thread), I shall not rise to the bait. I can't make a better argument than the disparate outcomes, and if the disparate outcomes didn't persuade you, what chance has public school filth like myself?

If you think that there is nothing to be learned from the Asian-American experience, it seems to me you already have your answer. Don't promote that model. Dismiss it and move on with your better plan. It needn't be more complicated than that.

Or we could just work to get rid of structural racism and remedy the effects of past racism without first requiring a referendum on the comparative merits of different minority cultures (which is simply another form of structural racism).

Is racism the source of every problem each individual black person has in their lives, No. But given our history, when a black person "plays the race card" they should get the benefit of the doubt.

Or we could just work to get rid of structural racism and remedy the effects of past racism without first requiring a referendum on the comparative merits of different minority cultures (which is simply another form of structural racism).

Is racism the source of every problem each individual black person has in their lives, No. But given our history, when a black person "plays the race card" they should get the benefit of the doubt.

Wrong. The Asian model does not work. Nothing translates. In fact, we should try the opposite. What we need is more family instability, less education and less employment.

It can be possible that slavery and Jim Crow tactics have had a worse effect on blacks than anti-Asian racism had on Asians. It can also be possible that liberal laws intended to assist black people in this country have had the unintended side effect of damaging the family unit among same. It can also be possible that drug laws and unequal enforcement of laws that arose out of fear and bigotry had a lasting detrimental effect on the black family unit.

It may also be possible that going forward the "Asian Model" offers the best chance for long term equality.

It can be possible that slavery and Jim Crow tactics have had a worse effect on blacks than anti-Asian racism had on Asians. It can also be possible that liberal laws intended to assist black people in this country have had the unintended side effect of damaging the family unit among same. It can also be possible that drug laws and unequal enforcement of laws that arose out of fear and bigotry had a lasting detrimental effect on the black family unit.

It may also be possible that going forward the "Asian Model" offers the best chance for long term equality.

You don't say...

I can't provide you any. We'll just have to continue to wonder why people who make responsible family choices, complete their public educations and take available work continue to outperform those people that don't. The world is full of mysteries like these and maybe we're not supposed to know. All I know is when I see that, I look the other way as fast as I can. Nothing to learn from it, that's for sure.

Does jhmd realize that pretty much everyone agrees that is a great model for success? That's literally the bare minimum advice all but the shittiest of parents give to their kids.

The formula is simple and is the same for everyone. The execution is simple for some, impossible for others, and everything in between.

The question isn't "what "model" should people follow?" but rather "why aren't some people able to follow that model?"

Jhmd, why do you think African-Americans are less successful at following "your" model for success than other racial groups?

Wrong. The Asian model does not work. Nothing translates. In fact, we should try the opposite. What we need is more family instability, less education and less employment.

That model has been followed by members of all races going back centuries. Why do you keep calling it the "Asian" model?

Has anyone on here argued otherwise? I don't think all of those things are actually the case or should be given even weight, but they are all certainly possible.

Has anyone on here argued otherwise? I don't think all of those things are actually the case or should be given even weight, but they are all certainly possible.

I thought that article was arguing otherwise but then I only learned reading comprehension in a public school.

Does jhmd realize that pretty much everyone agrees that is a great model for success? That's literally the bare minimum advice all but the shittiest of parents give to their kids.

The formula is simple and is the same for everyone. The execution is simple for some, impossible for others, and everything in between.

The question isn't "what "model" should people follow?" but rather "why aren't some people able to follow that model?"

Jhmd, why do you think African-Americans are less successful at following "your" model for success than other racial groups?

Wait, I finally agreed to avert my eyes from a successful model, and now you want to backtrack and try something that works?
Have you cleared this sorcery with Townie?

Can people who want to discuss things on a thread where an article is posted at least read the god damn article before commenting?

This would aid a lot in discussion.

Well that and also just ignoring literally everything that JHMD ever says because he is consistently the least genuine in wanting to engage in these topics as anybody on the Tunnels, thus resulting in derailments of threads over and over again.

Can people who want to discuss things on a thread where an article is posted at least read the god damn article before commenting?

This would aid a lot in discussion.

Well that and also just ignoring literally everything that JHMD ever says because he is consistently the least genuine in wanting to engage in these topics as anybody on the Tunnels, thus resulting in derailments of threads over and over again.

Is any dissension okay or do we just avoid certain lines of discussion?

Is any dissension okay or do we just avoid certain lines of discussion?

It's not dissension that irritates me. It's a refusal to engage in reasonable discourse, or even read the article linked in the OP.

Back