• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Moral Monday

I don't know why you think that is self-hatred. I am the one who knows who I am, and what I post like. And I'm pretty damn happy with it. You are the one who seems to be running from your posts at every turn, instead of being self-reflective and trying to figure out why everybody thinks you are a jackass.

BBD: If you derive your self-worth from what others think about your posts on a message board, your case may be more severe than I first thought. Good luck my friend, may you one day find happiness.

BBD: If you derive your self-worth from what others think about your posts on a message board, your case may be more severe than I first thought. Good luck my friend, may you one day find happiness.

Please provide evidence for your first clause.

Thanks.

Please provide evidence for your first clause.

Thanks.

Let's begin with the idea that it concerns you what I should think of what other people think of my posting style on a message board. This bothers you enough to post about it. Repeatedly. I'm not sure that's what a happy person does.

eta: I should add that I sincerely mean it when I say I wish you well. This is just a message board.

Last edited:
Let's begin with the idea that it concerns you what I should think of what other people think of my posting style on a message board. This bothers you enough to post about it. Repeatedly. I'm not sure that's what a happy person does.

eta: I should add that I sincerely mean it when I say I wish you well. This is just a message board.

It is.

Isn't the idea of "other people being concerned about what I think" the whole basis for exchanging opinions on a message board? You act like an asshole, yet don't admit it. I present evidence that you DO act like an asshole. I backed up my opinion with evidence (which I understand is a foreign concept to you). That is what people post on a message board for, right? To present their opinions?

It is.

Isn't the idea of "other people being concerned about what I think" the whole basis for exchanging opinions on a message board? You act like an asshole, yet don't admit it. I present evidence that you DO act like an asshole. I backed up my opinion with evidence (which I understand is a foreign concept to you). That is what people post on a message board for, right? To present their opinions?

I continue to wish you the best.

37512536.jpg

Not sure if I've seen it on this thread or one of the other 29837 that look just like it but people often talk about illegal immigrants and how those jobs wouldn't be taken by Americans. There are a few problems with this. First, those immigrants often come in bunches, living together (in pretty terrible conditions, fwiw) and are able to get some level of economies of scale in their living arrangements, i.e. rent divided by 8 < rent divided by 2 or 3. There are usually some level of tax games being played by the employer and employee which boosts their real take home pay that aren't legal. For those jobs to be meaningful jobs which get people a wage reasonable to live of off, the ag companies would have to boost their payroll greatly which would just mean they'd jack up their prices to offset the additional expense. Right, wrong, or indifferent, our society has demanded cheaper goods over time with companies typically having to adjust their business model to meet those demands. The food industry as a whole is the best example (but you could also substitute textiles, furniture, etc.). By and large, we buy cheap shit and for companies to continue to separate themselves from their competitors, they find ways to make it cheaper and cheaper. This has an effect on the labor market which screws your average dude looking for a job because the floor of labor prices is artificially lowered either buy illegals here or jobs that have been offshored. Great for Americans who shop at WalMart and see their costs drop. However the casualties are the folks that went from making meaningful money to making less than meaningful money and are all the sudden poor and have to rely on government assistance. Nowhere in this transaction is someone lazy. They just got squeezed out.

That's my take anyways. I'd love to figure out the best way to bring data into the argument to go along with my pretty narrative.

Of course this is true and Wrangor and jhmd know it. Pointing at illegal immigrants as an indictment of the American working poor who are on food stamps and can't afford health care is fucking bush league. weak

Last edited:
What is genius is that it is the poor, and their liberal enablers, who have basically ruined not only the American economy but also the moral fabric of the nation. It's the poor's fault. And the elderly. goddamn man that is shooting fish in a barrel.

Last edited:
Back to the topic at hand... it's looking like the antics last week really pissed people off. Lots and lots of people out at Moral Monday this week.

Back to the topic at hand... it's looking like the antics last week really pissed people off. Lots and lots of people out at Moral Monday this week.

It keeps getting bigger and the legislators inside keep trying harder and harder to downplay it as insignificant...although even the press is now having trouble with getting access to the legislators and the governor.

I don't know what Moral Monday is all about, but politicians have been pretty successful at getting people to show up at capital buildings recently.

BPP8V-hCEAA6g9a.jpg

http://www.wral.com/lawmakers-tighten-legislative-building-access-rules/13648349/

RALEIGH, N.C. — A hastily called committee voted Thursday to pass new rules for citizens' use of the Legislative Building – just in time for planned protests next week.

The rules haven't been updated since 1987. The Legislative Services Commission, which sets the rules, hasn't even met since 1999. Rep. Larry Hall, D-Durham, said he and other commission members weren't officially appointed until Wednesday.

Under the new rules, any group making enough noise to interfere with conversation at normal conversational levels is creating a "disturbance." Singing, clapping, shouting and using a bullhorn are offered as examples of disturbing behavior. All were common during Moral Monday protests in the building last summer.

The new rules also allow police or staff to order people to leave the building if they think those people pose an "imminent threat" of a disturbance, even if they haven't done anything. If the visitors don't leave, they can be arrested and charged with a misdemeanor. The term "imminent threat" isn't defined in the rules.

Given these restrictions on the First Amendment in the Legislative Building, I'm curious about the extent to which Second Amendment rights are restricted.

People have a right to be heard and to protest. There should be a designated area that they can exercise this right in a way that does not disrupt the business of the General Assembly.

The Legislature also has a duty to perform its functions without obstruction. If they do not honor their duties, they serve at the pleasure of the people through the process of elections. We've seen what happens to legislatures and governors who do not honor their charges to earn the blessing of the governed.

Given these restrictions on the First Amendment in the Legislative Building, I'm curious about the extent to which Second Amendment rights are restricted.

Well since you can't carry a firearm into the Legislative Building (or any of the State or Wake County government buildings for that matter), I would say they are completely restricted.

The thing that people don't understand about what happened last summer is that there ARE (or at least were) areas in the building where you can protest and carry on. The issue was that they were in the rotunda where the legislators access the doors into the chambers. It was nothing but a purposeful incitement by the organizers (who had known and followed the rules for years without getting arrested) to get folks arrested because they weren't getting any press coverage until they did. The organizers even had people sign waivers ahead of time because they all knew they would be arrested and planned on it.

Wow. Am I really about to pos rep jhmd?

Back