• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Moral Monday

People have a right to be heard and to protest. There should be a designated area that they can exercise this right in a way that does not disrupt the business of the General Assembly.

The Legislature also has a duty to perform its functions without obstruction. If they do not honor their duties, they serve at the pleasure of the people through the process of elections. We've seen what happens to legislatures and governors who do not honor their charges to earn the blessing of the governed.

While I agree with this, it only works if the notion of turning over district drawing to a non-partisan group to eliminate gerrymandering gets traction. Until we have politicians with the backbone to eliminate that practice, you have people on both sides who could sacrifice a puppy in the middle of the Senate floor and get re-elected.

A couple of former mayors are leading the charge on this. “Former Charlotte mayor Richard Vinroot, a Republican and former Raleigh mayor Charles Meeker, a Democrat will be announcing today their partnership in seeking to end gerrymandering in North Carolina.

Both mayors want politics taken out of the redistricting process and will be creating a new coalition called
North Carolinians to End Gerrymandering Now

While I agree with this, it only works if the notion of turning over district drawing to a non-partisan group to eliminate gerrymandering gets traction. Until we have politicians with the backbone to eliminate that practice, you have people on both sides who could sacrifice a puppy in the middle of the Senate floor and get re-elected.

A couple of former mayors are leading the charge on this. “Former Charlotte mayor Richard Vinroot, a Republican and former Raleigh mayor Charles Meeker, a Democrat will be announcing today their partnership in seeking to end gerrymandering in North Carolina.

Both mayors want politics taken out of the redistricting process and will be creating a new coalition called
North Carolinians to End Gerrymandering Now

NCTEGN does have a nice ring to it.

Does the end of gerrymandering mean the end of Mel Watt-type districts?

The dumbest people are the ones who think those districts don't greatly benefit Republicans.

And I'll clarify that includes the NAACP and any other groups just happy to get a black guy into the House.

People have a right to be heard and to protest. There should be a designated area that they can exercise this right in a way that does not disrupt the business of the General Assembly.

The Legislature also has a duty to perform its functions without obstruction. If they do not honor their duties, they serve at the pleasure of the people through the process of elections. We've seen what happens to legislatures and governors who do not honor their charges to earn the blessing of the governed.

Are we counting the intentional self-imposed obstructionism from certain groups of Congress? Or just other people?

The dumbest people are the ones who think those districts don't greatly benefit Republicans.

The most mentally challenged people are those who think that blacks won't be protected from the work of any "non-partisan" commission. The NAACP Legal Defense Fund would be driving at breakneck speed through stoplights to the nearest courthouse to file a legal brief under the VRA. And I don't see anything in my post to indicate I said only one party did it. In short, it won't ever happen.

The NAACP and its associates are not interested in getting any black elected. It has to be the right kind.

Last edited:
The most mentally challenged people are those who think that blacks won't be protected from the work of any "non-partisan" commission. The NAACP Legal Defense Fund would be driving at breakneck speed through stoplights to the nearest courthouse to file a legal brief under the VRA. And I don't see anything in my post to indicate I said only one party did it. In short, it won't ever happen.

The NAACP and its associates are not interested in getting any black elected. It has to be the right kind.

Probably a rabbit not worth chasing, but I've always found the use of the term "black" (or any other race/color) as a noun to be curiously dehumanizing.

It is dehumanizing. Probably why Raleigh said it that way.

It's always funny to me when white people claim "the blacks" always get protected. That goes against past and recent history.

Back