• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

More than half of US public school kids are living in poverty

Now we’re a country disinclined to invest in our young people.

I don't know that I agree that this quote has much of anything to do with the issue. The fact that there are a lot of poor kids doesn't mean that we aren't investing in them.

by the way, the fact that 50% of US kids are living in poverty absolutely sucks.

I don't know that I agree that this quote has much of anything to do with the issue. The fact that there are a lot of poor kids doesn't mean that we aren't investing in them.

I would think resisting calls to fund pre-school for low-income students is the definition of disinclined to invest.

"So?"

-this board, probably

Nah, it'll be much more diverse than that. We'll get stuff about two parent households, some racism, probably something about the lazy millenials who don't want to work for anything, entitlements, bitching about having to pay taxes for stuff, an attack or two on "bad" teachers...did I cover most of the bases there?

I would think resisting calls to fund pre-school for low-income students is the definition of disinclined to invest.

On the other hand, we spend way more on education per kid than other nations and our economy is "growing" yet there are more and more poor kids. The problem, I don't think, is a lack of investment, but a lack of good investment.

If these kids are so poor they should just work more. I think we need to stop acting like these kids deserve anything from the government and teach them that if they want something they will only be rewarded through hard work. If we just have policy set up to attack these types of problems we will just be enabling their behavior and they'll continue to game the system for decades to come.

it is an example of not being willing to invest MORE, but we are paying more for schools now than ever, I suspect. Despite ever increasing school budgets, parents continue to be in poverty.

it is an example of not being willing to invest MORE, but we are paying more for schools now than ever, I suspect. Despite ever increasing school budgets, parents continue to be in poverty.

In absolute numbers we are probably spending more, but once you account for other factors (inflation, etc.) I don't know that this is necessarily true. I know NC has backed down their per pupil spending.

On the other hand, we spend way more on education per kid than other nations and our economy is "growing" yet there are more and more poor kids. The problem, I don't think, is a lack of investment, but a lack of good investment.

Exactly. The education and curriculum industry make oodles of money off a brand new education initiative every election cycle.

In absolute numbers we are probably spending more, but once you account for other factors (inflation, etc.) I don't know that this is necessarily true. I know NC has backed down their per pupil spending.

It sounds so easy to just "invest more" but it's obvious that we absolutely suck at investing, so I really don't think a lack of wanting to throw more money at the issue necessarily equals being disinclined to invest at all. We invest tons of money into our kids and see minimal returns. Reform is what's desperately needed over investment IMO. We somehow spend way more than other countries but pay our teachers way less, and the results speak for themselves:
http://rossieronline.usc.edu/u-s-education-versus-the-world-infographic/

Nah, it'll be much more diverse than that. We'll get stuff about two parent households, some racism, probably something about the lazy millenials who don't want to work for anything, entitlements, bitching about having to pay taxes for stuff, an attack or two on "bad" teachers...did I cover most of the bases there?

Kids living in two parent households are less likely to be low income families. Kids born to immigrants are more likely to be low income than native born Americans. Parents with a higher education level are less likely to have a low income family.

Those are facts. Immigration reform can help the issue (amnesty-type program).

Exactly. The education and curriculum industry make oodles of money off a brand new education initiative every election cycle.

My MIL is a teacher in FL. She said that every teacher in her school received a tablet that they could utilize with a Smartboard. None of the teachers know how to use them, so they sit unused. These tablets cost thousands of dollars. #anecdotes

It sounds so easy to just "invest more" but it's obvious that we absolutely suck at investing, so I really don't think a lack of wanting to throw more money at the issue necessarily equals being disinclined to invest at all. We invest tons of money into our kids and see minimal returns. Reform is what's desperately needed over investment IMO. We somehow spend way more than other countries but pay our teachers way less, and the results speak for themselves:
http://rossieronline.usc.edu/u-s-education-versus-the-world-infographic/

I don't disagree entirely. For one, we can stop pumping cash towards textbook publishers who have managed to hijack curriculums and testing standards.

I don't disagree entirely. For one, we can stop pumping cash towards textbook publishers who have managed to hijack curriculums and testing standards.

OFY. i couldn't agree more here.

We spend a lot on public and private bureaucracies to micromanage teachers instead of just spending to recruit and pay the best talent to teach.

Last edited:
Back