• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

More than half of US public school kids are living in poverty

I don't understand the controversy. Divorce and single-parent households exploded between 1960 and 1980. Academic studies have linked single-parent environments to everything from lower educational attainment to crime. There is even a hypothesis that violent crime has decreased as a result of Roe v. Wade. Do people seriously think that this is sustainable?

I don't understand the controversy. Divorce and single-parent households exploded between 1960 and 1980. Academic studies have linked single-parent environments to everything from lower educational attainment to crime. There is even a hypothesis that violent crime has decreased as a result of Roe v. Wade. Do people seriously think that this is sustainable?

How does the devaluation of the American worker placing increased stress on the family structure factor in to the equation?

Thanks for your approval professor.

Thanks for your agreement. It's not often that an out of touch ivory tower elitist like me gets to agree with an honest to God businessman and job creator like yourself.

The statistic on which the article is based should be a call to address poverty, not a call to pump more money into schools that serve those in poverty.

*DISCLAIMER: I'm well aware that schools need money to serve their students well. I'm in education myself. I also know that, without good education, the cycle of poverty persists. The two issues don't separate neatly. At all.

But pumping more and more money into schools, without addressing poverty directly, fails to address the crippling effect that poverty has on educating our students. You can have the best teachers, the best buildings, the best curriculum and equipment in the world, but it all goes for naught if the student is growing up in a home that isn't conducive to early learning due to the effects of poverty, such as those described in the article. Awesome microscopes and iPads and libraries in schools don't put food on the table early that morning.

Listen for the trickle

Those WAPO article comments are amazing. How do the right wing talking points get distributed so quickly? Who knew the country's problems were caused solely by illegal immigrants?

Those WAPO article comments are amazing. How do the right wing talking points get distributed so quickly? Who knew the country's problems were caused solely by illegal immigrants?

The right wing leaders don't distribute hateful sentiment. They distill such sentiment to make it pass as rational thought.

We spend a lot on public and private bureaucracies to micromanage teachers instead of just spending to recruit and pay the best talent to teach.

This. And what racer said.

Its everone's fault except the actual people/entities who fleece the middle and working classes that half the public school kids are living in poverty. ok got it, thanks.

Back