• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

More than half of US public school kids are living in poverty

Look, some common ground between the Pubs, Dems and Libs! :circlejerk:

I don't disagree entirely. For one, we can stop pumping cash towards textbook publishers who have managed to hijack curriculums and testing standards.

OFY. i couldn't agree more here.

Worst thing about textbook companies is "editioning" where they get some hack to write a new preface and charge school systems $100/book for the same thing as last year.

Something doesn't add up here.

The Southern Education Foundation reports that 51 percent of students in pre-kindergarten through 12th grade were eligible under the federal program for free and reduced-price lunches in the 2012-2013 school year. The lunch program is a rough proxy for poverty

Here are the eligibility numbers for free or reduced price meals in the national school lunch program in 2012:
1_16_2015_4_11_34_PM.jpg

And here are the US Census Bureau Poverty Thresholds from 2012:
1_16_2015_4_16_27_PM.jpg

There is no way you can reconcile the statement "more than half of US public school kids are living in poverty" with the stats shown above.

Does this mean I'm insensitive to the problem? No. I think even 10% of school kids living in poverty is too much, but I also think that misrepresenting the numbers doesn't help the cause at all.

Karma, could you clarify your point? Are you arguing with the standards for free and reduced lunch? Would you rather it said 50% are poor rather than in poverty?

Karma, could you clarify your point? Are you arguing with the standards for free and reduced lunch? Would you rather it said 50% are poor rather than in poverty?

My point should be obvious. It's factually incorrect to say that more than half of public school children live in poverty. I'm not arguing with the standard. I'm arguing with the misrepresentation of the data.

Would your reaction to the information presented be the same if it said "poor?" What about "low income?" The word poverty elicits a more emotional response in some people.

My point should be obvious. It's factually incorrect to say that more than half of public school children live in poverty. I'm not arguing with the standard. I'm arguing with the misrepresentation of the data.

Would your reaction to the information presented be the same if it said "poor?" What about "low income?" The word poverty elicits a more emotional response in some people.

Definitely a misleading headline/connection. Too bad you can't even trust the Washington Post to get it right.

But I think the point still stands that most kids in public school now are heavily affected by life outside of the walls, and their educational success is probably negatively impacted by it.

Definitely a misleading headline/connection. Too bad you can't even trust the Washington Post to get it right.

But I think the point still stands that most kids in public school now are heavily affected by life outside of the walls, and their educational success is probably negatively impacted by it.

I agree.

why is the distinction so important?

This must be the trickle Ive been hearing about and waiting for since 5th grade in 1981.

This is what happens when a nation normalizes single-parent households. I feel for single parents, but normalizing divorce and illegitimacy on this scale ruins a lot of lives.

LK, you disagree with semantics but agree with the important part. Fine with me.

This is what happens when a nation normalizes single-parent households. I feel for single parents, but normalizing divorce and illegitimacy on this scale ruins a lot of lives.

^^^^^

Who is this fucking fruitcake?

Back