• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most Bothersome Wake Forest Development in the last 12 months? Pit/Tunnels Adjace

This is what I'm talking about folks. You can graduate Wake Forest and actually be under the impression that you should pay back your student loans at 2% interest rather than take bank loans to obtain cash producing investments. I actually heard this at Wake Forest "get those loans paid off right away."

Insanity, no chance I pay those loans off a second before 30 years is over. We need to be handing out copies of "money for dummies" to all incoming Freshman. That's no joke, I learned more from that book in my early 20s than anything taught at Wake Forest.
Please teach in our school of business. And teach a class on the scoreboards of life. WF needs you.

It is understandable since this a sports board, but some posters don't really get (a) how research facilities are funded and (b) the relative sizes (in people and budgets) of the research program vs athletic program. Research (inc the school of medicine) brings in nearly 4x more than athletics in grants alone ...and this doesn't include clinical income or royalties. And the school 'taxes' most grants at 55% for indirects. While sports are a flagship enterprise and a clear marketing tool for the undergraduate school, from a pragmatic perspective they are a comparatively small source of direct income. And nearly all.the athletic money is spent each year...

Last edited:
It is understandable since this a sports board, but some posters don't really get (a) how research facilities are funded and (b) the relative sizes (in people and budgets) of the research program vs athletic program. Research (inc the school of medicine) brings in nearly 4x more than athletics in grants alone ...and this doesn't include clinical income or royalties. And the school 'taxes' most grants at 55% for indirects. While sports are a flagship enterprise and a clear marketing tool for the undergraduate school, from a pragmatic perspective they are a comparatively small source of direct income. And nearly all.the athletic money is spent each year...
All true, except functional indirect tends to be closer to 15-20% because many/most finders cap indirect costs so rarely does the university get the full NICRA.

Also indirect doesn’t apply to all grant expenses.

Sure, a few items are capped, but the bulk of grant funding in the school of medicine is for supplies and people, which are charged at 55%. Iamthunderbolt, i believe the majority of wake federal funding is nih and dod, which use the agreed upon rate of 55%. i am bringing in several R01s, a couple of federal agency BAAs and two substantial DOD contracts, plus a few industry awards, all of which are charged at 55%. The amount of F&A i am paying is obscene...

Back