• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most Bothersome Wake Forest Development in the last 12 months? Pit/Tunnels Adjace

This is a very good question.

1) These changes have been in the works for years. We long ago should have been encouraging a culture that it is just fine to go get a high paying job. Rather than continue the culture of "go volunteer for the Red Cross" or do Teach for America. Pro Humanitate. Business folks are greedy pigs. That culture still permeates our administration.

2) We need to encourage our doctorate professors to do research--rather than teach at all costs. If we want to be a major University, we have to be that.

3) We needed significant raises to hire these folks to do research. We have long had the money.

4) Get teachers who can teach and let them teach -- not doctorate folks. No one cares and hasn't for decades if their professor has a doctorate. They care if they can speak English. Dr. Broyles was so qualified. He also couldn't teach and frankly could barely speak--like so many of these tenured folks we let sit around and drool all over kids in Tribble. We need young and hungry.

5) We should have let in low income folks for years. We knew that change was on the horizon. And quite frankly it was good for diversity.

6) Despite the years of notice, we failed to get out in front of this story by months. We knew it was coming and waited to discuss it until way, way too late--damage control now--and horrible damage control at that.

But the worst thing of all??? We say we are sticking to our guns. We are sticking with small classes taught by our main tenured Doctorate Professors. Our press release doubles down and rather than try and reduce the damage the next few years -- we are perfectly fine just dismissing the rankings and spending decades continuing to drop. By not announcing NOW we are making massive adjustments, the cycle of our student body's credentials will deteriorate--and quickly. We are just not an appetizing choice for those folks who just miss out on the Ivies anymore. Those students shot us up the rankings the last few decades. Now we are saying "only apply here if you share our small class and doctorate professor" mentality. I don't know who is in the pool of wanted to pay 300K to go to Wake Forest to be a teacher or a preacher or a government worker--but I can assure you that pool is not the one who got wait listed at Harvard or Duke.
My best friend from college went to Wake to become a teacher. She is now a principal and one of the very best people I know. Wake should be thrilled to have her as an alum. And she did, in fact, turn down ivies to come. You’re gross.

Can’t believe that I need to make this clear but universities have to have professors with PhD’s (or terminal degrees in their field eg MFA) to maintain accreditation. So, like, everyone should care about the faculty qualifications. I think maybe a bad reaction to dropping in the ranks would be to loose accreditation.

Is tenured Doctorate Professors a Trump thing or a Clem’s son thing

Trying to figure out which genre of idiot we’re dealing with here

Can’t believe that I need to make this clear but universities have to have professors with PhD’s (or terminal degrees in their field eg MFA) to maintain accreditation. So, like, everyone should care about the faculty qualifications. I think maybe a bad reaction to dropping in the ranks would be to loose accreditation.

You’re just not hungry enough to get it man

Amazing you had to take out loans, presumably go to law school and yet had money to buy investment property in your 20s. What the hell is wrong with the kids these days?
This is what I'm talking about folks. You can graduate Wake Forest and actually be under the impression that you should pay back your student loans at 2% interest rather than take bank loans to obtain cash producing investments. I actually heard this at Wake Forest "get those loans paid off right away."

Insanity, no chance I pay those loans off a second before 30 years is over. We need to be handing out copies of "money for dummies" to all incoming Freshman. That's no joke, I learned more from that book in my early 20s than anything taught at Wake Forest.

Last edited:
So your solution is: spend a ton of money to hire people who won’t teach, spend a ton of money on research facilities, spend a ton of money on athletic facilities, cut tuition, and admit more people on low/free tuition - and you’re willing to pony up $5k towards that? Go fuck yourself.

So your solution is: spend a ton of money to hire people who won’t teach, spend a ton of money on research facilities, spend a ton of money on athletic facilities, cut tuition, and admit more people on low/free tuition - and you’re willing to pony up $5k towards that? Go fuck yourself.
Yea, that's pretty much what Wake Forest alums and the administration are saying to the US News & World Report. "The rest of the World is really dumb and we are really smart."

That's gonna turn out about as well as spending 50 years in a horrific home basketball venue.

Yea, that's pretty much what Wake Forest alums and the administration are saying to the US News & World Report. "The rest of the World is really dumb and we are really smart."

That's gonna turn out about as well as spending 50 years in a horrific home basketball venue.
I wonder why you didn't realize that you of all people shouldn't post this.

This is a very good question.

1) These changes have been in the works for years. We long ago should have been encouraging a culture that it is just fine to go get a high paying job. Rather than continue the culture of "go volunteer for the Red Cross" or do Teach for America. Pro Humanitate. Business folks are greedy pigs. That culture still permeates our administration.

2) We need to encourage our doctorate professors to do research--rather than teach at all costs. If we want to be a major University, we have to be that.

3) We needed significant raises to hire these folks to do research. We have long had the money.

4) Get teachers who can teach and let them teach -- not doctorate folks. No one cares and hasn't for decades if their professor has a doctorate. They care if they can speak English. Dr. Broyles was so qualified. He also couldn't teach and frankly could barely speak--like so many of these tenured folks we let sit around and drool all over kids in Tribble. We need young and hungry.

5) We should have let in low income folks for years. We knew that change was on the horizon. And quite frankly it was good for diversity.

6) Despite the years of notice, we failed to get out in front of this story by months. We knew it was coming and waited to discuss it until way, way too late--damage control now--and horrible damage control at that.

But the worst thing of all??? We say we are sticking to our guns. We are sticking with small classes taught by our main tenured Doctorate Professors. Our press release doubles down and rather than try and reduce the damage the next few years -- we are perfectly fine just dismissing the rankings and spending decades continuing to drop. By not announcing NOW we are making massive adjustments, the cycle of our student body's credentials will deteriorate--and quickly. We are just not an appetizing choice for those folks who just miss out on the Ivies anymore. Those students shot us up the rankings the last few decades. Now we are saying "only apply here if you share our small class and doctorate professor" mentality. I don't know who is in the pool of wanted to pay 300K to go to Wake Forest to be a teacher or a preacher or a government worker--but I can assure you that pool is not the one who got wait listed at Harvard or Duke.

The ironic thing is calling this post out for what it is probably only makes DR more confident

This is what I'm talking about folks. You can graduate Wake Forest and actually be under the impression that you should pay back your student loans at 2% interest rather than take bank loans to obtain cash producing investments. I actually heard this at Wake Forest "get those loans paid off right away."

Insanity, no chance I pay those loans off a second before 30 years is over. We need to be handing out copies of "money for dummies" to all incoming Freshman. That's no joke, I learned more from that book in my early 20s than anything taught at Wake Forest.
Wow, a "Stupid poors should buy more money" take in the wild! This is great.

Confident? That poor guy has the least self-confidence I've ever seen.
not sure "confident" is the right word, but he posts the bullshit he does which reinforces the the idea people have of him and his type and then they respond accordingly which reinforces his feelings about the type of Wake Forest person he is talking about and it's just an endless loop of pushing each set further away and feeling even more righteous in their position

not sure "confident" is the right word, but he posts the bullshit he does which reinforces the the idea people have of him and his type and then they respond accordingly which reinforces his feelings about the type of Wake Forest person he is talking about and it's just an endless loop of pushing each set further away and feeling even more righteous in their position
I think this assumes that DR is posting in good faith and not just exaggerating his position to stir shit up

Back