• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most Bothersome Wake Forest Development in the last 12 months? Pit/Tunnels Adjace

I don't really understand how faculty citations correlate with student experience

the most cited researcher in the world might have never thought about teaching

What if your end goal isn’t becoming a multimillionaire?
What if you wake up when you turn 50 and sure wish you had? And then you get uncomfortable on the OGB boards and pretend talking about money is immoral. When really you are just ashamed you never made much.

Money isn't everything in life. But it IS everything in business. Make plenty and give back what you want. It's too late if you change your mind at 50 and decide you wish you had it.

I don't really understand how faculty citations correlate with student experience

Or that same highly-cited researcher published something super important 25 years ago that's almost an obligatory citation in a specific area, but hasn't done anything of note since.

You could goose this metric hard by hiring a bunch of fossils to sit around and do nothing.

Because faculty citations are a huge selection criterion for faculty at national universities. You can teach your ass off but you aren't going to get a tenure track job at most national universities without a track record of publication or the potential to do so.

What if you wake up when you turn 50 and sure wish you had? And then you get uncomfortable on the OGB boards and pretend talking about money is immoral. When really you are just ashamed you never made much.

Money isn't everything in life. But it IS everything in business. Make plenty and give back what you want. It's too late if you change your mind at 50 and decide you wish you had it.
Idk, I’ll probably handle it the same way I do whenever I feel insecure on the boards now and post some shirtless pictures of myself on the chat thread.

Because faculty citations are a huge selection criterion for faculty at national universities. You can teach your ass off but you aren't going to get a tenure track job at most national universities without a track record of publication or the potential to do so.
I get that. I still don't understand how it would measure teaching effectiveness.

I get that. I still don't understand how it would measure teaching effectiveness.
Is US News trying to measure teaching effectiveness?

Well, my approach is at least Ron Wellman no longer makes decisions other than prunes and oatmeal for breakfast.

It’s my theory that students would derive value from notable researchers/publishers simply through association, not through teaching.

Like I said, it’s a theory, but wouldn’t graduates hypothetically benefit from the increased reputation that a notable publisher brings to their program? I remember from
Psychology that the experiments and theories we studied prominently mentioned the universities where the studies occurred.

It’s my theory that students would derive value from notable researchers/publishers simply through association, not through teaching.

Yeah I think the comic with the bit about Maya Angelou’s class would disagree there.

Like I said, it’s a theory, but wouldn’t graduates hypothetically benefit from the increased reputation that a notable publisher brings to their program? I remember from
Psychology that the experiments and theories we studied prominently mentioned the universities where the studies occurred.
I can’t stress enough… no one has cared that I went to Wake in over 25 years

It depends? Yes, a notable researcher could teach popular classes based on their own research products and experiences. They could teach methods courses. They could develop undergrad research experiences. They could invite well-published colleagues and collaborators to give talks. They could advise honors theses. So forth and so on.

Or they could have little engagement with students. It depends. It’s certainly not something to just assume.

Back