• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most Bothersome Wake Forest Development in the last 12 months? Pit/Tunnels Adjace

Probably? It will crush us next year. It will spiral. We didn’t adjust to their criteria. We just stuck our nose up. We are hardly a safety school even now.
They just announced the new criteria.

None of these schools listed is being run by a broad. Makes you wonder

I know this is a joke but FFS.

As someone said above, the goalposts changed. The question is whether Wake decides to chase the rankings or not. Do I remember that the University recently announced a new program aimed at increasing first-gen students?

The Wake Admin has been out of touch with reality for 50 years. Now Wente can sit around a conference table and spin it or fix it.

I mean we’re not going to pivot to be a large research institution overnight Mack.

That is just so false. Any google search shows you the opposite.

Wake Forest used to combine a great academic school with a national reputation with big time college athletics. Now we have neither. We made that choice.

Didn't we just invest $125 million in athletic facilities? And when were we "big time college athletics" and decided to move from that? I'm not sure I'm following this train of thought.

This is correct, the metrics shifted away from education to research, and while your right that most students looking for a school don’t care about the University’s research reputation, most funding organizations and corporations with lots of money do care about those things. So, it’s about money.

And those organizations are making decisions off of this ranking?

Wake Forest used to combine a great academic school with a national reputation with big time college athletics. Now we have neither. We made that choice.
That is so false. We were ranked in the top 10 in football after at least 7 weeks in 2021 and 2022. WF women’s golf just won the NCAA. The baseball team just went to the CWS. The crazy new USNews criteria were first announced in May. You are so FOS.

And those organizations are making decisions off of this ranking?
To some extent yes. Imagine a Bio Prof at the 80th ranks university applies for a $5million grant and a bio prof at the 3rd ranked university applies for a $5million grant. The nsf panel is gonna give some weight to #3 over #80.

Isn’t it really just a reflection of the Joel’s size and distance from campus?

Honestly, let’s be critical of the things Wake traditionally hasn’t done well like creating opportunities for first gen students. But shitting on Wake for athletics is just dumb. It’s clear everyone is doing the most to keep us relevant there. I think Wake is a special place. I’ve been hoping for years that a more diverse range of students- racially, culturally and socioeconomically will get to experience this special place. I’m hoping the rankings will help kickstart that.

We aren’t ranked “academically” behind those schools! What would that even mean? How would you measure academics?
Well, actually, the public perceives that list as the list of "best" schools. What do you think "best" means? To most people the best universities are the best academic schools - like the Ivys... Like MiT, like CalTech... Schools that have excellent academic reputations, that are very selective, that provide a great education, etc... People generally will not understand that this list is now ranked on very different criteria - they will just see that Wake is now like only top 50 - on par with VaTech and TX A&M - schools that accept 50 or 60 percent of applicants - and a lot of other big, generic state schools.

You can believe that Wake should do better on diversity of all types (Racial, financial, etc.) and still realize that the changes to the list make it completely ridiculous as a list of best universities. Our size and liberal arts focus make it impossible for us to do much on the research front.

Are we still #1 in hottest guys ? Or did we stop having to send in our pictures with our applications in some woke blind agenda ?
If you use the word “woke”, you failed at your attempt to get educated at WF.

I’ve read up on this now. My husband has a Masters from Rutgers and we often laugh that he went there. What a gut punch for Wake.
I mean not really. Those rankings have been a joke for years, now they've decided that PhDs don't matter nor does class size. I think I read that 17 of the 19 metrics have changed.

Back