• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most Bothersome Wake Forest Development in the last 12 months? Pit/Tunnels Adjace

The number of Wake grads who earned a PhD would shock the world. It’s just not celebrated like a trip to the college World Series.

I admittedly haven't read this whole thread, but if we dropped in the ranking in large part because the rankings no longer emphasize small class sizes and faculty with highest terminal degree, then I hope Wake doesn't change that aspect of the university in order to chase rankings.

Class size is a major Wake attribute and it went from 8% of the score to zero, that and degree of the faculty etc,
replaced by first generation graduates ….. vanderbilt Not liking this either.

I admittedly haven't read this whole thread, but if we dropped in the ranking in large part because the rankings no longer emphasize small class sizes and faculty with highest terminal degree, then I hope Wake doesn't change that aspect of the university in order to chase rankings.

Changing either wouldn’t help increase the ranking because it’s not in the ranking at all.

BTW, class sizes in public high schools are exploding and will continue to do so, due to competent teacher shortages. So a college class with15 kids is going to become even more of anomaly as kids don’t seek it out as much, because they don’t see value in it.

There's no shortage of competent teachers. There's a shortage of states willing to pay teachers enough to keep teaching.

There's no shortage of competent teachers. There's a shortage of states willing to pay teachers enough to keep teaching.

Call it whatever you want. Sure, if you paid $80K, you’d fins a lot more competent teachers.

Oh yes there is. The pay is certainly a factor, but lots of teachers are totally incompetent.

These are compatible.

Yeah, I think one of the reasons we don’t want to pay teachers more is we know how incredibly awful some of them are and they’re impossible to fire but just as hard to replace. But that’s a other discussion.

Yeah, I think one of the reasons we don’t want to pay teachers more is we know how incredibly awful some of them are and they’re impossible to fire but just as hard to replace. But that’s a other discussion.

LOL. Several years ago Florida attempted to rate all teachers to help push this narrative. They found 98% of teachers rated effective or better.

So what. I didn’t have 98% effective teachers and my kids haven’t either.

If you have ineffective teachers 2% of the time, you have ineffective teachers. If you have ineffective teachers all the time, you're an ineffective student.

Also, state metrics for what passes for a performing school or teacher are ridiculously low.

If you have ineffective teachers 2% of the time, you have ineffective teachers. If you have ineffective teachers all the time, you're an ineffective student.
What if you have 15-20% ineffective teachers ? Or teachers who know they can’t teach the kids so they cheat the system like they did in Atlanta Public Schools ?

Back