• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most Hated College BBall Players (Last 30 Years) Tournament Bracket

I'm feeling an all-ACC version of this bracket coming together during a summer sports lull.

Easily. I think I could come up with one of these for every team in the ACC at this rate.

Most of us oldtimers would say that a UNC bracket is more deserving than a Duke bracket. Warren "Diaperman" Martin, Kupchek, O'Koren, Karl, Phil Ford, Rich Yonakur, Cota, JR Reid, Rasheed Wallace, Haywood, McCants, Montross, Shammond Williams, McInniss, Hansborough, etc., etc., etc....

Joseph Forte, Rashad McCants, Harrison Barnes, etc. I second RJ's idea that there are just so many UNC players that I despise. Definitely deserve their own bracket.

It's hard to believe that only 3 tarheels were chosen....and that McCants and Stackhouse weren't among them.

I definitely hated Stackhouse more than Montross....but maybe not as much as Hansbrough.

Should have had a UNC region as well

Unless I missed it, nobody has mentioned Rashad McCants. Are you seriouuuuuuuuuuusss? /vitale/

You missed it

Did the writer live through the 1980s? How could you not have Meagher, Veal, Fothergill and Sheehey. Ask any UVA player from the mid 80s - Sheehey would have had all of their votes for most hated player.

As for the Dick bracket, I don't know how they left off Crissy Collins. My top 5 Dickies to hate would be Laettner and 4 guards - Redick, Hurley, Wojo & Collins. Hated The Duhon too, but that was because he was maybe the most overhyped player ever, not as much anything intrinsic to him personally.

Agree on both paragraphs. I knew a guy on those UVA teams. I also lived in south Louisiana in a parish where there were at least a hundred Duhons, but none of them pronounced their name that way. I guess it's a Duke thing.

Last edited:
After sharing it around the office the consensus: "Why do you need the brackets, just give it to Laettner."

Duke would not give Grantland press credentials for the Duke UNC game last year, and now Simmons hates them.

Last four out (I guess):

Melchionni
Tahntay Jones
Kahlid El Amin
McCants

Matt Geiger has to be on here.

Who from the Deacs would go on this list?

After sharing it around the office the consensus: "Why do you need the brackets, just give it to Laettner."

Duh. Even the author knows and acknowledges that.

From the article: "So who wins? Well, Christian Laettner wins. But who makes things interesting before that foregone conclusion is up to you."

Who from the Deacs would go on this list?

Chas for sheer douchebaggery. It's tough after that.

Hopefully Chill. UNC and Dook fans definitely have reason to hate him. State would nominate CP3. J-Ho definitely played with an edge though I never really heard opposing fans say bad things about him. Pete Gillen nominated The Mangler (Songaila).

Ty Walker & Ari if it's a Wake-run thing. Other fans don't give a crap about them.

"Fire and Ice" from State, Michael Jordan from Carolina and Laettner from Duke are my top four.

Amazing and inexcusable dearth of Kentucky players. I could easily make a whole bracket out of them just from the players that have played against Wake. Also, I totally hated Mashburn.

If I had to pick one UNC guy it wouldn't be any on this list, it would be Lang. A pioneer in douchebaggery.

Some glaring omissions - most notably for me are Mark "Mad Dog" Madsen, Pittsnogle, Dahntay Jones, Kenyon Martin, Scotty Skiles, Demarcus Cousins, Šarūnas Jasikevičius, and (as noted by several) Lee "Felchioni".

Darius Songaila, easily. He was just an enormously dirty shithead.

I loved how he played.

Mark Madsen is a GREAT call.

Also, there's tons of Kentucky guys. Pelphrey, Ron Mercer, Mash, ugh. Never liked any of those dudes.

How do you not have a Coaches bracket? Can you imagine an Elite 8, Dean Smith vs. K?

Back