• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Moving to Charlotte in a year

fwiw, i never once found an apartment complex where there were good reviews. people love to bitch, and they generally won't do anything if the place that they're living at is all-around a decent spot. you can read the reviews to see if people have really specific problems that you know would bug you too. but i wouldn't base the decision on the overall rating of a place.

oh man, not the second or third. the first is in an ok area. it's kind of on the outskirts of downtown, but it's walking distance to some cool stuff (they just put a new bakery in 4th ward, called fourth ward bread).

To add to this, the new baseball stadium is about two blocks from #1, so I think some of the parking lots and other void currently in those outskirts will likely fill in over the next couple of years. I really think that area will explode once that stadium opens next spring.

Hahaha, I wonder what your definitions of sketchy are. I've always lived in the poorer parts of every town that I've ever lived in. I don't need to live in Uptown or NODA, I had already resigned myself to those areas being way out of my reach. And Uptown is always a short bus ride away so I'm not too hung up on proximity. After looking up real estate in the area I'd almost venture to guess that trying to buy an inexpensive place in Charlotte might be more cost effective than trying to rent something.

You can find cheaper places near UNCC/Harris Blvd.

you don't want to be anywhere near eastway.

My sister lived out Central just past Eastway by herself for years before she got married. Never had a single problem. The neighborhood was a nice mix of Charlotte old-timers, young professionals and 1st/2nd generation Hispanic immigrants. I'm starting to think Wake people never actually left the fenced bubble even after graduation. There are houses for sale for $220K and $330K within a block of those apartments. It's really convenient to the Midwood area and to NoDa by car...not exactly a lot of places that you can get to easily on foot. I do think there's a bus route along Eastway. I'd rather live some place a bit more walkable, but the location is pretty solid otherwise. Especially for the price.

That said, the Trade street location is right in the middle of a cool old neighborhood. Next to a great park, close to Panthers and the Knights. Assuming the reviews are just people complaining, I'd put it towards the top of your list. I'm REALLY surprised at the listed prices, which makes me wonder what sort of shape the properties are in. The only negative to the Trade street location is that there are probably a lot of college kids given the price and the proximity to Johnson and Wales and Johnson C. Smith.

My sister lived out Central just past Eastway by herself for years before she got married. Never had a single problem. The neighborhood was a nice mix of Charlotte old-timers, young professionals and 1st/2nd generation Hispanic immigrants. I'm starting to think Wake people never actually left the fenced bubble even after graduation. There are houses for sale for $220K and $330K within a block of those apartments. It's really convenient to the Midwood area and to NoDa by car...not exactly a lot of places that you can get to easily on foot. I do think there's a bus route along Eastway. I'd rather live some place a bit more walkable, but the location is pretty solid otherwise. Especially for the price.

That said, the Trade street location is right in the middle of a cool old neighborhood. Next to a great park, close to Panthers and the Knights. Assuming the reviews are just people complaining, I'd put it towards the top of your list. I'm REALLY surprised at the listed prices, which makes me wonder what sort of shape the properties are in. The only negative to the Trade street location is that there are probably a lot of college kids given the price and the proximity to Johnson and Wales and Johnson C. Smith.

Single family home off Eastway might be okay in certain neighborhoods. Just don't expect rapid appreciation and don't send you kids to school around there. But there is no way in hell I'd get into an apartment in that area if I wasn't already a gang member.

my grandmother lived at the methodist home at the corner of eastway/shamrock for 20 years. it's not like i've never been in the area. i stand by my statement that it's not a good place to live.

That^
LOL

When I first moved to Omaha I lived in an apartment in downtown (which is super sketch). There were periodically loud sounds that came from the streets outside at night that came from seemingly nowhere and she would ask me what it was, my response was always "construction". Then she would point out that it was 11pm and my response was "late-night construction".

Fine, live wherever you want. Move to Albemarle Road and learn to speak Spanish. Whatever.

I live about 2 blocks from the first one. It's a nice area. Pretty safe, if you're not an idiot. Lots of JCSU students live there, but with their classes starting at 7am, it shouldnt be too much of a late night scene during the week. I like this area as you can walk to restaurants and bars and I can walk to work. You'd be nice and close to a dog park too if you have/want a dog.

I'd also look in the Wilmore area. It's in between uptown and southend so you're really close to lots of bars and restaurants and the light rail, but it's still affordable. Primarily smaller single family houses with small yards and not crazy expensive. I have a couple of friends who live over there and love it. Both Wake grads too.

If I were young and single, I'd be in uptown or Southend within a block or two of a light rail station.

Another vote for this plan. I moved to Charlotte in 2006 when Southend didn't exist. Or at least it wasn't nice. I moved uptown and remain here. I like it a lot. If I were moving here now as someone early-mid 20s, I'd definitely check out Southend. It's really changed and has a lot to offer at more reasonable prices than Uptown.

Sounds like you could handle First Ward Place apartments. About four years ago I lived there with two roommates and paid next to nothing. I think a significant portion of the complex is Section 8. I got along with my neighbors perfectly well but I did hear gunshots at night a couple times. Toward the end of our lease, one of my roommates came home with a new tv and game console and our place was broken into about a week later. I kept almost nothing of value in my apartment or my car (mostly because my $1,000+/month apartment in Meyers Park was broken into a year prior) so my stuff wasn't stolen, but it still sucked knowing someone kicked in your door.

Single family home off Eastway might be okay in certain neighborhoods. Just don't expect rapid appreciation and don't send you kids to school around there. But there is no way in hell I'd get into an apartment in that area if I wasn't already a gang member.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to HeavyPetter again.

I assume Mosaic or the one a little further down from Big Ben's are out of the price range? I'd definitely shoot for South End.

How much does a place at the complex near Dowd YMCA run?

Mosaic is crazy expensive - 1 br is close to double his first price range.

I assume Mosaic or the one a little further down from Big Ben's are out of the price range? I'd definitely shoot for South End.

How much does a place at the complex near Dowd YMCA run?

the one across the street from the dowd? camden grandview? a lot more than his price range. studio apartments are $1300ish there, i think.

after we sold our house but before my special lady friend joined me in ole mexico she rented a 3 b/r apt at Camden off east blvd for $2100 month. now I rent a mansion in Mexico with a pool, pool boy, yard service, gourmet kitchen, all the bells and whistles for the same price

Peeps on here and others I have talked to are turning me on to the uptown idea. I would actually be working on Morehead so its not like I could walk to work, not sure how much of a hassle getting to and from is.

Back