• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Moving to Charlotte in a year

Uptown is great for the young and single.

I'm in Plaza Midwood - prob nothing much around here for your price range. My suggestion: pick a neighborhood that you like that is near sketchiness, drive right up to the edge, and rent the next to last nice house. For example belvedere at Hawthorne.

Houses are renting for 1000-1500 across Hawthorne in Belmont in the "sketch". I've rented my house twice in the last 7 months after 2-3 days on Craigslist. I doubt the OP will find something on the expensive side of Hawthorne in the range being discussed.

Last edited:
I am hijacking. I too will be moving to Charlotte next summer for a law job despite moonz best efforts. I lived right off south this summer by Mac's but was only okay. My question is, as a young dude is it worth living uptown for the experience or just get a place in one of the burbs?

just spend Texa$ and get a spare bedroom for me

the-rent-is-too-damn-high-o.gif

I am hijacking. I too will be moving to Charlotte next summer for a law job despite moonz best efforts. I lived right off south this summer by Mac's but was only okay. My question is, as a young dude is it worth living uptown for the experience or just get a place in one of the burbs?

really think this depends on personality. i lived downtown for a year and hated it. but living within walking distance of clubs wasn't something i cared about. most young professionals seem to like it. i wasn't one of them. figure out what area of town fits your personality.

really think this depends on personality. i lived downtown for a year and hated it. but living within walking distance of clubs wasn't something i cared about. most young professionals seem to like it. i wasn't one of them. figure out what area of town fits your personality.

To be fair, there's more to uptown than clubs. There are great pubs, beer bars, restaurants, music venues, theaters (both movie and theatrical), etc. You can walk to work, walk to the store, grab a few beers after work without worrying about driving home, etc. It's just a quick stroll to see if you can grab a cheap ticket to a Panther's game in the tailgate lots, and if not, you can walk back home to watch on TV. Next year there will be minor league baseball multiple nights a week just a few blocks from your doorstep. There's cheap NBA basketball, even if the home team sucks. You can catch the light rail down to the breweries, bars, restaurants, music venues, etc in SouthEnd (and after the planned expansion, all of the breweries, bars, restaurants, music venues in NoDa as well). There are multiple sports leagues (ultimate frisbee, flag football, etc) that play on fields within a quick walk/jog from uptown. You have access to the trail head for the Little Sugar Creek Greenway and the pedestrian trail along the light rail system. No commute, no parking fees. I haven't been to a club in 5-6 years, but if not for needing space for 3 kids, I'd move to uptown in a heartbeat.

yeah, i get that there are other benefits to downtown, but most of those benefits are elsewhere as well (i.e. maybe it's not the same greenway, but there are other awesome greenways places that aren't downtown). i'm not saying not to live downtown. i'm saying not to just default to it just because other people are doing it. he should evaluate for himself whether or not he'd actually like it. i personally did not. it's not a one-size fits all thing.

I'm an IT professional and I've got a few friends and know some other Wake alumni in Charlotte that have locked down some different opportunities for me as far as jobs go. So where exactly I will be working is not exact yet. It sounds like I'll definitely need to readjust my expectations on price though. I live in Omaha right now and live in a pretty safe part of town and pay $600/mo for a 850 sq ft 1br apartment. My fiance is a baker so she shouldn't have any problems finding somewhere to work. I'm just sick of the midwest and need to get out of this part of the country.

It's confusing though, because if I look up apartments online I can find a good amount of them in the $600-$700 price range in Charlotte and with decent proximity to uptown. I guess based on what all of you are telling me that those are pretty sketch parts of town then.

It's confusing though, because if I look up apartments online I can find a good amount of them in the $600-$700 price range in Charlotte and with decent proximity to uptown. I guess based on what all of you are telling me that those are pretty sketch parts of town then.

Post some examples and let us take a look? It could just be a difference in opinion of what is considered "close" to town and/or close to things. There are tons of apartments all over the city, but I don't consider most of them to be in desirable places to live, whether "sketchy" or not. The vast majority of places you'll find are perfectly safe places to live.

Last edited:
I'm an IT professional and I've got a few friends and know some other Wake alumni in Charlotte that have locked down some different opportunities for me as far as jobs go. So where exactly I will be working is not exact yet. It sounds like I'll definitely need to readjust my expectations on price though. I live in Omaha right now and live in a pretty safe part of town and pay $600/mo for a 850 sq ft 1br apartment. My fiance is a baker so she shouldn't have any problems finding somewhere to work. I'm just sick of the midwest and need to get out of this part of the country.

You can be close to downtown at that price but, as was said earlier, you won't be in a place you'll enjoy nor necessarily find very safe.

Define for us how close you need to be downtown. You could go to the University area, for example, and find lower rent - of course, the trade off is that you're not immediately downtown or in places like NoDa or elsewhere where you can walk to everything. It's really a question of cost vs convenience. If you go further north or further south, you'll find economical solutions - but you'll give up convenience. An alternative might be a place like Birkdale. It's close to the lake and there are a number of restaurants and bars right in Birkdale village. You can probably get a 1BR in the ~$900 range. Is it downtown? No, but it does have amenities that might appeal to you.

No love for Ed's? I'm shocked. There's a new place by the shell station on the corner across from me called Bulldog Beer & Wine that you'd probably dig. Bring your dog and chill and drink delicious beer.

CLT continues incline. That's sounds awesome. I should have rented to you dude, speak up next time ! I was super close to Eds, but Eds never really did it for me. I would go a decent amount because it was so close, and the food was also ok, but never really got that into it. The bartenders were always kind of toolish.

oh man, not the second or third. the first is in an ok area. it's kind of on the outskirts of downtown, but it's walking distance to some cool stuff (they just put a new bakery in 4th ward, called fourth ward bread).

Oh hells no to 2 and 3. 1 is decent, a lot of the Johnson & Wales students live in there. I don't know if you would view that as good or bad.

Had a buddy who lived in Dilworth on Euclid between Morehead and East. Great neighborhood and location and he paid $650 a month in one of those large houses converted into apartments.

every once in a while when cutting my grass or planting a tree I would find old baseballs that had been homers hit from Crockett park. #charlotteOs

Why do the last two get a oh hells no? Is it because of location? The first one I sent has terrible reviews. The second one actually has some decent reviews.

Back