• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MSNBC or Lamont Hill

Damn, MSNBC sucks. Reminds me why I don't waste my time with this crap. It's a shame to see MHP stoop so low, though. I really do respect her.

On the whole idea of adopted kids being "lucky", when we adopted our son, a few months later the agency (not an adoption agency, but a homeless outreach) that helped us get him held their annual fundraising gala and awards banquet. They invited us and we went. As they were honoring all of their volunteers, they recognized my wife and me as "life volunteers" for adopting our son. Up until that moment, it never even occurred to me that people would view us as doing something to be applauded. We felt that we were the ones who received, not the ones who gave. We were and still are the "lucky ones" in this situation.

The "lucky kid" comment is usually someone trying to say something positive that has never really taken the time to think about adoption. It's a surface comment without any real thought invested. How lucky is a kid whose birth parents are dead, or who don't really want him or are incapable of taking care of him? For all of the joys and good that comes from adoption, there's tons of brokenness too. I'd wager quite a bit more bad than good in the grand scheme. People seem to forget that a kid is going to deal with a lot of pain, shame, questions, not feeling whole, etc growing up. And that racial issues will be hard...really hard. And few, if any, think about the brokenness of the mom (and sometimes dad) who gave up their kid. Sure, there's plenty of good in adoption, but none of it could happen if things hadn't already gone horribly wrong. There's nothing lucky about it.

This is a great post.

My daughter's birth mother abandoned her in a hospital in Ho CHi Minh City (Saigon) 2 days after she was born. The next 11 months she lived in an orphanage with hundreds of other kids. She never had a visitor per the orphanages director. Her mom was listed as a "street vendor" and the hospital named her. We never found her when we researched it.

So we love her, her brother loves her, her grandma and grandpa love her, our friends love her and she's 100% part of our family. And we talk about her adoption but at age 6, its all still fuzzy to her. Every now and then she asks when her hair will be blonde likes ours, why her eyes are different than ours, etc. But the reality for her is someone, her mother, got up and left her as a 2 day year old. Why? Who knows. But she was abandoned. We think about that a lot. And Im sure she thinks of it too even if she doesn't understand it all at age 6. How can she not?

I just pray that our daughter only lets the love she sees, feels and hears every day make her a happy and well balanced young woman. And this outweighs any pain or anger or fear she has.

Children need to be loved, cared for, nurtured and raised. They don't need to be abandoned.

Enough of my sentimental rumblings....

Anyway, please support adoption folks. With kind words, with $ or with time. These kids deserve better than the hand they were dealt.

My cousin just spent $46k to adopt a baby here in the US. The birth mother tried to gouge them for another $10k at birth. I never knew adoption could be such a racket.

Harris-Perry was absolutely wrong.

The irony here is DeacMan never starts threads when Faux News, Hannity, O'Reilly or others are equally bad or worse and don't apologize.

That's what we have you for.

Anyone see Romney's response on Fox News Sunday this morning? Say what you want about him but he handled this with pure class (not surprisingly).

I didn't watch it, but here's a quote:
"Romney also told “Fox News Sunday” that he accepts the apology by MSNBC and host Melissa Harris-Perry for joking about his adopted black grandson last week.

“People make mistakes,” Romney said. “The people at MSNBC made a mistake and they apologized. … We hold no ill will whatsoever.”

Wait, just read the article more closely.

The woman who poked fun at the picture was a black baby in a large white Mormon family herself???? Did I read that right?

So she poked fun at her own upbringing, in a way, when she said this shit on MSNBC?

Like when my Jewish mother says she is going to "Jew the guy down" on the price.

We'll it still wasn't right to do on tv to a defenseless child, but I understand a little bit better now.

MH-P sounded like she was almost in tears. The original piece was stupid and insensitive, but the apology was definitely heartfelt. Handled correctly by MSNBC and by Romney.

Probably not the best time to get our fellow alum to say "fire Bz" on the air, right? Give it till late Feb.

Wait, just read the article more closely.

The woman who poked fun at the picture was a black baby in a large white Mormon family herself???? Did I read that right?

Not sure what article you are talking about but I don't think that is correct (could be wrong). I thought she was a child of a mixed race marriage.

Wow...just read up on her. She is a child of a mixed race marriage but the white side is Mormon. This crazy story just gets crazier.

Anyone see Romney's response on Fox News Sunday this morning? Say what you want about him but he handled this with pure class (not surprisingly).

I generally respect Chris Wallace, but he tried to goad Mitt into slamming MSNBC multiple times and Romney never took the bait. Mitt came across as spineless and socially awkward during the campaign, but he handled this situation with genuine grace and poise. Good for him.

MH-P sounded like she was almost in tears. The original piece was stupid and insensitive, but the apology was definitely heartfelt. Handled correctly by MSNBC and by Romney.

It's a good thing no one took the opportunity to pile on.

Katie Pavlich ‏@KatiePavlich 30 Dec
Shorter @marclamonthill and liberals like him. Adopt a black child out of love: totally legit to question. Abort a black child: silence.

Well, almost no one.

Back