• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MTOW, Dan's Desire for Peace & Harmony

I'm glad to hear that you want us to make the NCAA Tournament this year. Many posters on this board do not feel that way.

I wouldn't say "many," I would say a handful. And those people are undoubtedly the extremists. Anytime you're pulling against your school from making the ultimate goal (the tournament), there's something wrong there.

Come on guys. As my youngest son says "Don't be a hater". I've truly enjoyed Dan's writing for many years. Seems to me he's a good guy with a good heart who cares a great deal about Wake. Let's show a little Christmas love during this holiday period. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!!! Go Deacs.

If you think the 2005 was the best team in WF history (and I think it probably had the most talent of any team in WF history)....and that team got beat in the very first weekend of the NCAA Tournament (as well as the first round of the ACC Tournament)....what does that say about the coaching of that team?

It could also be reflective of the quality of the coach of the team that beat us, and that coach is a damn good one.

I don't know. The Maryland-State title game is generally regarded to be one of the best college games of all time I thought.

It was, but what the fuck does that have to do with Wake's upset of Carolina in '73?

Well, at least I'm glad to see that you have Charlie at #1. He is my favorite player of all-time....anywhere.

When Charlie graduated, remember a quote from one reporter that "Charlie Davis was a great player on an un-great team"...

Chris:

You are right about the way that 1977 team ended the season....which really made the NCAA run all that more remarkable, with the 2nd half comeback win over 26-1 Arkansas after trailing by 13 points at the half (thanks again, Jerry Schellenberg) and then beating Southern Illinois and leading Marquette by 4 at the half in the Elite Eight. I went to 5 of those last 7 games you were talking about, as well as to the two games in Oklahoma City. Here is a recap of what happened after they were 18-2:

Lost by 4 points at home to Clemson
Beat NC State at home by 7....after trailing by 11 at the half
Beat a 5-19 UNC-Charlotte team by only 2 points in Charlotte...on a last shot by Frank Johnson
Lost to Virginia Tech by 1 point in overtime in Memorial Coliseum
Lost to Maryland by 1 point in Greensboro on a long last-second shot by Brad Davis
Lost to NC State by 6 in Raleigh in last regular season game
Lost to Virginia by 2 in the 1st round of the ACC Tournament

BKF, your memory is a little tarnished regarding the '77 season and UNCC...the game was played in Greensboro, I was there and UNCC went to the final four getting beat by Marquette and Al McGuire on a last second tip in...

Sorry for that typo. That game was against 5-19 Davidson in Charlotte. (Got carried away with my "Charlottes", I guess.)

I was at the UNC-Charlotte game in Greensboro, too. Still have my ticket stub...sat in Section 109, dead-center court, downstairs. Think the score was 74-72. We were fortunate to win that game, as I don't think we realized that the 49ers were as good as they were when we played them.

Still recall that Rod Griffin went 11 for 12 that game and against Cornbread Maxwell & Lew Massey to boot!

81863420-college-basketball-ncaa-final-four-marquette-gettyimages.jpg

Marquette had some awesome uniforms

So the gist of that is if a great coach didn't make a great coaching move, he might not have won. Could that be why he's a Hall of Famer?

Does that include Clawson?

NO!!!!!!! When The Claw was hired and appeared at the presser and has shown us confidence and competence, the beasts of the board quieted down. I think Dan was talking about the time up to Grobe's step down.

I guess there were a bunch of us at that UNCC game in Greensboro. As I recall, even though UNCC had only lost two or three games coming in, we fully expected to beat them. We thought UNCC was good, but just a good Sunbelt team.

I don't know why both of them aren't retired.....and Murdock's jersey should be retired, too. If for no other reason than as a gesture for the way they screwed over him when he was thrown to the lions as a sacrificial coach for one year when Bones just abruptly quit a month before practice began and left him with a trainwreck of a team.....then fired him after only that one year. Jackie Murdock has probably been as loyal a WF guy as anyone who ever lived.
Since a lot of folks on here are younger and didn't see these guys play, I'll chime in: BKF speaks a lot of truth, especially Coach Murdock's loyalty to Wake..

Since a lot of folks on here are younger and didn't see these guys play, I'll chime in: BKF speaks a lot of truth, especially Coach Murdock's loyalty to Wake..

Yeah but "loyalty" is not a reason to retire a jersey. That should be reserved for on the court achievements. Put him in the Hall of Fame (if he's not already) rather than retire his jersey.

I haven't read this entire thread but I'm sure it's been mentioned that when we use words like 'loyalty' and 'commitment' we really just mean a guy who wasn't good enough to be drafted, right. The constant penalization of guys like CP3 who simply were too good to dick around W-S for 4 years playing for free is just mind-boggling.

Back