• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MTOW, Dan's Latest With Grobe

Meanwhile, our football team prepares for a meaningless game Saturday. That has to suck.

I would be surprised if Lobo retains his OC duties after the conclusion of the Vandy game. I wouldn't be completely shocked if Grobe was fired. In speaking with AD of a mid-major (with no inside information), he said that he would anticipate that Grobe would be fired if he didn't make a bowl this year.

Watch Wellman fire Grobe and hire Lobo just to spite this board.

Rocco was 2-6 at one point this year, FWIW
He lost 3 road games by 2 pts each. Only one lose was by more than 1 TD. I don't know how close he is to Wellman. I don't see Wellman doing anything because he doesn't have to.

He lost 3 road games by 2 pts each. Only one lose was by more than 1 TD.

So he'll be like Grobe circa 2001-2009. At least our fans won't have to account for much of a change

I don't think I could even begin to comprehend Wellman firing Grobe before he fires Bz.

For the life of me, I don't understand how you and Jason can be both #GrobeOUT and #BuzzIN.

Of course, the fundamental premise is that #BuzzIN defies all logic. But, when coupled with #GrobeOUT, it makes even less sense (to the extremely limited extent a position can make less sense than #BuzzIN).

As much as I think Grobe needs to make some serious changes in order to deserve retaining his HC duties, the thought of Wellman firing Grobe before [Redacted] is somehow more sickening to me than both being retained. Granted, Wellman hired both men and Grobe has underperformed at WF longer than [Redacted] has (though not nearly to the same degree), but just picturing the media coverage of us (i) ditching the best coach we've ever had in Sport A while simultaneously (ii) keeping arguably the worst coach in all of Sport B is enough to make me prematurely disgusted.

Football happens before basketball in the school year. That's all it is.

I would be surprised if Lobo retains his OC duties after the conclusion of the Vandy game. I wouldn't be completely shocked if Grobe was fired. In speaking with AD of a mid-major (with no inside information), he said that he would anticipate that Grobe would be fired if he didn't make a bowl this year.

Wellman's MO seems to suggest a preference for letting contracts expire instead of cutting coaches loose. Gaudio and Caldwell being notable exceptions. I would be surprised if he fired Grobe considering that he would still be on the hook for that sizable compensation package.

I heard a rumor that Grobe told the staff he would fire all of them if we didn't make a bowl this year. Take that FWIW.

As much as I think Grobe needs to make some serious changes in order to deserve retaining his HC duties, the thought of Wellman firing Grobe before [Redacted] is somehow more sickening to me than both being retained. Granted, Wellman hired both men and Grobe has underperformed at WF longer than [Redacted] has (though not nearly to the same degree), but just picturing the media coverage of us (i) ditching the best coach we've ever had in Sport A while simultaneously (ii) keeping arguably the worst coach in all of Sport B is enough to make me prematurely disgusted.

Exactly. The answer? Fire Wellman and let the next AD make these decisions.

Wellman's MO seems to suggest a preference for letting contracts expire instead of cutting coaches loose. Gaudio and Caldwell being notable exceptions. I would be surprised if he fired Grobe considering that he would still be on the hook for that sizable compensation package.

How many coaches has he let expire? Odom? There must be numerous others to make Gaudio and Caldwell the exceptions. But football and basketball are the only ones that really count because they're the only coaches who would have long term, big money contracts. I don't see how we can determine his preferences from the limited number of hiring/firings in that pool.

Also, we don't know what compensation we would own Grobe if we fired him tomorrow, but I'm almost certain someone has confirmed there IS a bonus due to Grobe if he finishes the 10 years on the contract. For all we know, it is cheaper to fire Grobe than it is to keep him until the end of his contract.

I heard Wellman was pissed about the football situation and was going to fire off a stern e-mail to Grobe.

If Grobe goes before Wellman goes, that just means we're re-upping with Wellman, right?

With Basketball, I feel angry - angry at Wellman for bringing in such a re-tread loser like Bzz, without looking at any of the hot and upcoming young coaches that could have turned Wake into a power for decades. With football, I really feel sad. While I believe the players from the 06-08 deserve just as much credit as Grobe and co, those years were a special time. I feel that Grobe could have stayed at Wake and left on his terms, if he would have made a few changes/adjustments and not trusted his future, and Wake's future to very sub par assistant coaches. We all love Gentlemen Jim, but he can't stay at Wake any longer. That is just sad.

Back