• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MTOW, Dan's Latest With Grobe

According to Grobe, our future classes show little promise. Are we headed toward a [Redacted]-like performance over the next four years where two wins will be the norm?

Sounds real promising to know that the sophomore and junior classes are not strong, and Grobe knows we need more success on the recruiting trail. Then take a look at the worst in the ACC by far, list of commitments the ol' boy has lined up for next year.

Funny how even Grobe sees the problems in recruiting and coaching of he OL, but does nothing about it. If you have failed at what you are assigned to do for 4 straight years, maybe your ass should be fired!

I kind of wonder if Grobe is trying to force Wellman's hand with some of these quotes

To act like we want Grobe to act like Dabo or something is missing the point, I think what we'd like to see is for Grobe to look involved, to get up in a players grill once in awhile if they need it, to lay into a ref on questionable call. You never see Grobe in a huddle, you never see Grobe really saying much to the players, you never really see him doing much. How many times have we seemed to get complacent as a team, I think a team gets their lead from the head coach and complacent seems to describe Jim Grobe.

In 6 years of watching Wake Forest football, I have seen Grobe talk during a game once.

And as I watched Duke win it's ninth game of the season, I saw a coach leading them, David Cutcliffe, who is so much like Grobe in that regard. I didn't see any headphones flying. I didn't see any sideline histronics. What I saw was a professional going about his business the best way he knew how.

You should have also noticed that Cutcliffe is actually involved in the game, interacting with coaches and players. Grobe, not so much.

I actually saw Cutcliffe on the field jawing with the refs.

He's about the same age as Grobe but has more fire in his belly even after his heart attack.

Cutcliffe was out on the field jawing with the ref, with the line judge in between them. 2 plays later, Chase was called for a hold, by the ref.

"I (said) when we started the season that there’s no way in the world we can have happen to us what we did last year,” Grobe said. “And last year we had more injuries, but this year, when you lose A.J., when you lose Camp, when you lose your key guys, it’s hard. It’s really, really hard.

"And we had some behavior issues and some injuries. And all of a sudden, when you combine those at our place, you don’t have a large number of guys. You can’t go out on the waiver wire and bring them in. So you just have to kind of have things fall right. You’ve got to stay healthy, you’ve got to stay out of trouble and do the right things.”

I'm sick of this bunk.

We have 85 GUYS on scholarships. Grobe had issues with 3 guys, we lost 1 FROSH in game #2, 2 starters HALF-WAY thru the season and 2 WR'S had a few bumps and bruises....THAT'S IT ! Every team has this - often MORE !

Grobe is a gentleman but he ain't a 'coach' of ANYTHING and never has been. That worked when he had very good OC and DC assistants....it stopped working 4 years ago ( sorry, that includes 6-6 bowl season ).

How long did Fisher DeBerry hang on at Air Force ? He's Grobe's model, right ?

Please resign Jim....PLEASE ! Danny Rocco is waiting !

"I (said) when we started the season that there’s no way in the world we can have happen to us what we did last year,” Grobe said. “And last year we had more injuries, but this year, when you lose A.J., when you lose Camp, when you lose your key guys, it’s hard. It’s really, really hard.

"And we had some behavior issues and some injuries. And all of a sudden, when you combine those at our place, you don’t have a large number of guys. You can’t go out on the waiver wire and bring them in. So you just have to kind of have things fall right. You’ve got to stay healthy, you’ve got to stay out of trouble and do the right things.”

I'm sick of this bunk.

We have 85 GUYS on scholarships. Grobe had issues with 3 guys, we lost 1 FROSH in game #2, 2 starters HALF-WAY thru the season and 2 WR'S had a few bumps and bruises....THAT'S IT ! Every team has this - often MORE !

Grobe is a gentleman but he ain't a 'coach' of ANYTHING and never has been. That worked when he had very good OC and DC assistants....it stopped working 4 years ago ( sorry, that includes 6-6 bowl season ).

How long did Fisher DeBerry hang on at Air Force ? He's Grobe's model, right ?

Please resign Jim....PLEASE ! Danny Rocco is waiting !

I agree, sure Camp was a big loss, but you know what we've got other guys are scholly's and either we've recruited poorly and don't have anybody else capable of stepping up or they haven't been coached well enough to step up.

Our savior comes from Liberty and Richmond ? Yikes. We're screwed.

Dan Collins loves arguing with straw men he makes from the boards.
This. Grobe was supposedly a great game planner, recruiter, and talent developer. None of those 3 things have happened since 2006 and fans have been increasingly vocal about it. The product has not even been average, it's been out right deplorable. He's supposed to develop OL which is the point of red shirting....not. His conservative game strategies rely heavily on a good kicker and he's been caught without one several years. The offensive strategy is schizophrenic, since the last years of Skinner.

And everyone here has been complaining about it...this year.

The least he could do in lieu of all those coaching gaffes is to act like he gave a crap on the sidelines. It's not the lack of animation that bothers people, it's the lack of productivity. The lack of animation just makes it look much much much worse....as do comments like he gave here.

Find better coaches or step down.

Last edited:
To me he sounds like a man who is looking for a way out that doesn't involve sacrificing $7 million

Va -

Our savior comes from Liberty and Richmond ? Yikes. We're screwed.

Ohio U. worked for awhile, right ? Rocco is a WINNER and he's a Deac/knows Wake's program. Plus, check out the resume's of his staff !

This. Grobe was supposedly a great game planner, recruiter, and talent developer. None of those 3 things have happened since 2006 and fans have been increasingly vocal about it. The product has not even been average, it's been out right deplorable. He's supposed to develop OL which is the point of red shirting....not. His conservative game strategies rely heavily on a good kicker and he's been caught without one several years. The offensive strategy is schizophrenic, since the last years of Skinner.

And everyone here has been complaining about it.

The least he could do in lieu of all those coaching gaffes is to act like he gave a crap on the sidelines. It's not the lack of animation that bothers people, it's the lack of productivity. The lack of animation just makes it look much much much worse....as do comments like he gave here.

Find better coaches or step down.

For the life of me, I don't understand how you and Jason can be both #GrobeOUT and #BuzzIN.

Va -

Ohio U. worked for awhile, right ? Rocco is a WINNER and he's a Deac/knows Wake's program. Plus, check out the resume's of his staff !
I would be pleased with Rocco, but the guy we need him to bring in is Joe Kenn '88. Joe is the strength coach of the Carolina Panthers. I'm tired of our OL not getting a push of the line.

Back