• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MTOW, Dan's Latest With Grobe

With Basketball, I feel angry - angry at Wellman for bringing in such a re-tread loser like Bzz, without looking at any of the hot and upcoming young coaches that could have turned Wake into a power for decades. With football, I really feel sad. While I believe the players from the 06-08 deserve just as much credit as Grobe and co, those years were a special time. I feel that Grobe could have stayed at Wake and left on his terms, if he would have made a few changes/adjustments and not trusted his future, and Wake's future to very sub par assistant coaches. We all love Gentlemen Jim, but he can't stay at Wake any longer. That is just sad.

Agree...Do any remember the period from '05-'09 when Grobe was considered by many to be @ or near the top coaches in the conference? I would have hoped he would be able to walk away leaving a strong nucleus for his successor. The man is a class act, but over time, I feel the huge salary made him complacent, relying way too much on subordinates who were unable to grow the program...Bz on the other hand should have never been hired as this has been discussed previously.

For the life of me, I don't understand how you and Jason can be both #GrobeOUT and #BuzzIN.
You're the one making the faulty designations, not me. Look in the mirror. If you weren't such an extremist any time anyone says anything remotely positive, it wouldn't be so confusing to you.

I was one of the first to complain about Wellman 3.5 years ago and have been non-stop about it. He's the problem...and I sincerely believe all this failure is karma for what he did to Dino.

I was one of the first, other than PhDeac and a couple of others, to point out Grobe's massive failures while most everyone else was focused on Bz. Grobe has been WAY more of a disappointment than Bz...IMO. He has sucked outside of the Skinner-era and his short success on a totally faulty premise is actually what landed us Bz. Bz is Wellman's ball version of Grobe.

The only thing I've actually said about retaining Bz is that we need to give him a decent chance out of principle because Wellman handicapped the guy. Acting like there's a strict and very short timetable when the guy was brought in under bizarre circumstances is just plain stupid to me. All I've said is we need to let this play out. You're the one who labeled it "IN".

Agree...Do any remember the period from '05-'09 when Grobe was considered by many to be @ or near the top coaches in the conference? I would have hoped he would be able to walk away leaving a strong nucleus for his successor. The man is a class act, but over time, I feel the huge salary made him complacent, relying way too much on subordinates who were unable to grow the program...Bz on the other hand should have never been hired as this has been discussed previously.

I remember so many opposing team's fans coming up to me 03-05 - saying Wake is so close, Grobe is a GREAT coach! Hell, I remember watching the 04 team throw away a win at home vs FSU. You could tell things were about to be good - but nowhere near as good as 2006. Maybe in the end, that is what destroyed Grobe. The ultimate year, that he could never duplicate again. With all of that fun history behind, the last 5 years have been substandard, and the collapse in Clemson in 2009 was the worst of it all, and illustrated everything that is wrong with Grobe and co's coaching philospohy.

You're the one making the faulty designations, not me. Look in the mirror. If you weren't such an extremist any time anyone says anything remotely positive, it wouldn't be so confusing to you.

I was one of the first to complain about Wellman 3.5 years ago and have been non-stop about it. He's the problem...and I sincerely believe all this failure is karma for what he did to Dino.

I was one of the first, other than PhDeac and a couple of others, to point out Grobe's massive failures while most everyone else was focused on Bz. Grobe has been WAY more of a disappointment than Bz...IMO. He has sucked outside of the Skinner-era and his short success on a totally faulty premise is actually what landed us Bz. Bz is Wellman's ball version of Grobe.

The only thing I've actually said about retaining Bz is that we need to give him a decent chance out of principle because Wellman handicapped the guy. Acting like there's a strict and very short timetable when the guy was brought in under bizarre circumstances is just plain stupid to me. All I've said is we need to let this play out. You're the one who labeled it "IN".

.Grobe hasn't been way more of a disappointment than Bzzz, and the idea that Grobe is somehow responsible for Bzzzz being here is just another example of the world according to pourdeac.

How can you possibly argue that a coach who took Wake to three bowls in a row, won the ACC, and took Wake to the Orange Bowl is more of a disappointment than a head coach who is 8-24, 13-18, and 13-18 in his three full seasons at Wake?

That's pretty god damn dumb.

Wellman's MO seems to suggest a preference for letting contracts expire instead of cutting coaches loose. Gaudio and Caldwell being notable exceptions. I would be surprised if he fired Grobe considering that he would still be on the hook for that sizable compensation package.

I heard a rumor that Grobe told the staff he would fire all of them if we didn't make a bowl this year. Take that FWIW.

Before my time, but hadn't Caldwell's contract expired as well?

I would be surprised if Lobo retains his OC duties after the conclusion of the Vandy game. I wouldn't be completely shocked if Grobe was fired. In speaking with AD of a mid-major (with no inside information), he said that he would anticipate that Grobe would be fired if he didn't make a bowl this year.

Gaudio got fired IN THE YEAR HE WON AN NCAAT game. Grobe's graduated an entire class since having a winning season and no one seriously considers his seat even warm. When you step back and look at it, that's pretty amazing.

Gaudio got fired IN THE YEAR HE WON AN NCAAT game. Grobe's graduated an entire class since having a winning season and no one seriously considers his seat even warm. When you step back and look at it, that's pretty amazing.

So true. So true. Not a single player on next year's team knows what it's like to play to a winning football team. Hasn't been like that since going into the 1999 season.

How many coaches has he let expire? Odom? There must be numerous others to make Gaudio and Caldwell the exceptions. But football and basketball are the only ones that really count because they're the only coaches who would have long term, big money contracts. I don't see how we can determine his preferences from the limited number of hiring/firings in that pool.

Also, we don't know what compensation we would own Grobe if we fired him tomorrow, but I'm almost certain someone has confirmed there IS a bonus due to Grobe if he finishes the 10 years on the contract. For all we know, it is cheaper to fire Grobe than it is to keep him until the end of his contract.

Odom, Greer, Rembelak, he was headed down the same path with the last woman's bball coach. That's the three or four I can think of off the top of my head. Perhaps theer are more. My sense is that he prefers to let the contract play out, but you raise a good point. . .I am short on specifics.

It makes no sense to let a contract run out on a football coach. How is he supposed to recruit without the assurance he's going to be around?

This should extension or done. Simple as that.

Back