• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Muslim extremists slaughter at least 2000 people

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/09/boko-haram-deadliest-massacre-baga-nigeria

Hundreds of bodies – too many to count – remain strewn in the bush in Nigeria from an Islamic extremist attack that Amnesty International described as the “deadliest massacre” in the history of Boko Haram.Fighting continued on Friday around Baga, a town on the border with Chad where insurgents seized a key military base on 3 January and attacked again on Wednesday.
“Security forces have responded rapidly, and have deployed significant military assets and conducted air strikes against militant targets,” said a government spokesman.
District head Baba Abba Hassan said most victims are children, women and elderly people who could not run fast enough when insurgents drove into Baga, firing rocket-propelled grenades and assault rifles on town residents.

They used a 10 year old girl as a suicide bomber. WTF?

Nigeria is criminally negligent in its defense against Boko Haram. Though their military/defense budget takes up 1/3 of their spending, it's been clear with even basic scrutiny that the money is being skimmed to an extreme degree, the security forces all take bribes, and a group of people most estimate to be less than 1000 individuals have completely transformed an entire region into a terrorized mass. The Nigerian government and military also just don't engage with foreign aid. It's basically a hopeless situation in what was quite recently one of the most stable, healthy, and growing parts of Africa.

Seriously, how fucked up mentally do you have to be to strap a bomb to a 10 year old kid, send them into a crowd, and remotely blow them up to kill as many people as possible...

Seriously, how fucked up mentally do you have to be to strap a bomb to a 10 year old kid, send them into a crowd, and remotely blow them up to kill as many people as possible...

They believe that she is a martyr, who will go directly to paradise. And incidentally, they also believe that the other innocents killed by the bomb are also going to heaven directly.

I wonder how many true believers (in the Hoffer sense) there are and how many, especially of the leadership in terror cells, are simply politically motivated or motivated by notions of power and control. I assume that the lemmings that make up the majority of groups like Boko Haram are true believers and the elite are charismatic, dogmatic sociopaths who might half believe and half just want power. I think it's not a historically improbable conclusion.

They believe that she is a martyr, who will go directly to paradise. And incidentally, they also believe that the other innocents killed by the bomb are also going to heaven directly.

So why don't they all just kill themselves to go straight to heaven and rid everyone else of their problems?

I wonder how many true believers (in the Hoffer sense) there are and how many, especially of the leadership in terror cells, are simply politically motivated or motivated by notions of power and control. I assume that the lemmings that make up the majority of groups like Boko Haram are true believers and the elite are charismatic, dogmatic sociopaths who might half believe and half just want power. I think it's not a historically improbable conclusion.

It is difficult to speculate about thinking that is obviously very different from modern western secularized thinking.

Allah has not yet told them to do so.

Sounds like we need to put some of our Hollywood technology to good use and become the voice of Allah. I'm sure it would be pretty easy to make a talking burning bush look damn realistic nowadays.

3po_float.jpg

So why don't they all just kill themselves to go straight to heaven and rid everyone else of their problems?

The more I read about it, the more I'm convinced that this is another example of the denigration of women in Muslim society.

It is difficult to speculate about thinking that is obviously very different from modern western secularized thinking.

I don't think it's that different. The same criticism has been levied against the religious right in the US. People claim Obama is an atheist who professes to be a Christian for political gain.

I donn't think that there is any significant group in the US whose thinking can be considered anywhere close to the thinking of the Muslim radicals.

There's extensive scholarship on tribalist thought and relativism, but I wonder about it in terms of this neo-historicist Hoffer framework.

Sometimes I feel better about the shit things in the world by making them more abstract.

I donn't think that there is any significant group in the US whose thinking can be considered anywhere close to the thinking of the Muslim radicals.

And that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it is not far-fetched to imagine people using religion for political gain.

I'm not equating any American Christian to Muslim radicals.

And that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it is not far-fetched to imagine people using religion for political gain.

I'm not equating any American Christian to Muslim radicals.

I think politicians use everything for political gain.

Back