• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Muslim extremists slaughter at least 2000 people

I donn't think that there is any significant group in the US whose thinking can be considered anywhere close to the thinking of the Muslim radicals.

Besides the New York Jets, I tend to agree.

There has to be a reason other than geography and "brown people" why Boko Haram doesn't move the needle but 3 dudes in Paris does.

There has to be a reason other than geography and "brown people" why Boko Haram doesn't move the needle but 3 dudes in Paris does.

I can't think of other reasons. Look, it would have taken relatively little extra peacekeeping forces to have prevented half a million folks in Rwanda from being slaughtered. But there was little political will to stop it - from the US or from Europe. We just don't care that much about 3rd world human life, especially African or South Asian human life. You could probably muster more support to save elephants, tigers or rhinos. But we certainly aren't going to tolerate Muslim terrorist activity in the 1st world (nor should we for that matter).

Yeah, what's a bigger threat to you today: Muslims killing a dozen white people in a cosmopolitan Western city or Muslims killing a couple of thousand villagers in something resembling tribal warfare in an African jungle?

Of course I realize that neither of these things is an eminent threat to the average American, but one sure looks like something that could happen here tomorrow.

The truth is we have never been particularly interested in what happens in Africa, nor has Africa been particularly important politically or economically to the US. Actually, if it wasn't for the oil, we wouldn't much care what happens in much of the Middle East. As a result, shrugging off barbarities in little known or understood areas becomes a lot easier.

Journalists love to talk about other journalists.

No doubt there. Journalists getting killed for their craft makes them all think they're heroes.

My line of thinking is poverty is a big differentiating factor between radical Christians and radical Muslims. It's not hard to convince a ten year old living in abject poverty to join a group of people who will ultimately ask you to blow yourself up if they give you food and shelter first. A little harder to convince middle class white family with fundamentalist views and an American education to go blow themselves up.

My line of thinking is poverty is a big differentiating factor between radical Christians and radical Muslims. It's not hard to convince a ten year old living in abject poverty to join a group of people who will ultimately ask you to blow yourself up if they give you food and shelter first. A little harder to convince middle class white family with fundamentalist views and an American education to go blow themselves up.

exactly. who do violent gangs target?

I doubt they "asked" a ten-year old girl to blow herself up.

Yeah. And she was possibly one of the girls they kidnapped. Another story largely ignored in the US until Twitter got involved.

I should have clarified that I was talking at large the martyr situation not the specific situation here. I was unclear for sure.

One tactic is to tell the kid that the explosives in the suicide vest will only blow up people in front of them and they will be spared.

I don't think it's that different. The same criticism has been levied against the religious right in the US. People claim Obama is an atheist who professes to be a Christian for political gain.

I should have known you couldn't make three intelligent posts in a row.

One tactic is to tell the kid that the explosives in the suicide vest will only blow up people in front of them and they will be spared.

Do ten year olds understand the concept of explosives, suicide vests, directional survival, martyrdom, infidels, and jihad?

Do ten year olds understand the concept of explosives, suicide vests, directional survival, martyrdom, infidels, and jihad?

There are lots of stories about kids being indoctrinated about the glory of martyrdom via suicide bombing. Do a Google search for them. Here's one that speaks to my point.

http://www.thewire.com/global/2014/01/suicide-vest-girl-pakistan-boy/356846/

"Afghanistan was stunned this week by the story of a 10-year-old girl known only as Spozhmai, who told police that her brother, a local Taliban commander, gave her a suicide vest and ordered to attack a police station. Police intervened after she resisted the plan and her brother escaped with the vest.

Even more shocking is that the girl says she was told that the vest would only kill her targets, but that she would survive the explosion."

Last edited:
That girl wasn't indoctrinated.

That girl wasn't indoctrinated.

My original point, which ONW questioned, was that they sometimes tell the kids they will survive the blast. She was told that. As for indoctrination, simply read the rest of the article.

"The largely illiterate boys are fed a diet of anti-Western and anti-Afghan government propaganda until they are prepared to kill, he said. But the boys are also assured that they will miraculously survive the devastation they cause. "The worst part is that these children don't think that they are killing themselves," said the official. "They are often given an amulet containing Koranic verses. Mullahs tell them, 'When this explodes you will survive and God will help you survive the fire. Only the infidels will be killed, you will be saved and your parents will go to paradise'."

Back