• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Muslim WFU Law Student Writes...

As long as wide segments of the Islamic world remain antagonistic to Western religion and culture, there is little that flagellation of so-called "American ignorance" can achieve. Flail away if it makes you feel better, but it wont change a thing.

Were all right wing Christians subjected to this kind of prejudice after the Oklahoma City bombings?

Correct. I don't doubt that he's been treated poorly by the fires of prejudice that have engulfed his country post 9/11, but it compares poorly to the fires that engulfed the twin towers, Pentagon and that field in Pennsylvania.

There's a reason the Amish don't bitch, whine and moan about prejudice.

what?

To greatly oversimplify, it means that the vast majority of Americans side with Israel in that conflict. That is not the same as saying everything Israel does is right.

Correct. I don't doubt that he's been treated poorly by the fires of prejudice that have engulfed his country post 9/11, but it compares poorly to the fires that engulfed the twin towers, Pentagon and that field in Pennsylvania.

There's a reason the Amish don't bitch, whine and moan about prejudice.

Because they're not on the internet?

I'm curious how jhmd would even know if the Amish were bitching about prejudice or not. How many Amish people do you know? How many Amish publications do you subscribe to?

Just because you don't hear about what's going on in a community from the media you choose to follow doesn't mean things don't happen.

Namely, all of the people harbouring and financially supporting Eric Randolph/IRA/James J. Bulger were Catholics. If Catholics don't want to be associated with terrorism committed in the name of Jesus, which I'm sure most don't, they need to do a better job of policing their own.

FIFY...You still agree with this?

I'm curious how jhmd would even know if the Amish were bitching about prejudice or not. How many Amish people do you know? How many Amish publications do you subscribe to?

Just because you don't hear about what's going on in a community from the media you choose to follow doesn't mean things don't happen.

I think he means because the Amish don't do anything (other than driving a horse & buggy extremely slowly on the road) to piss people off to perpetuate the prejudice, so there really isn't much prejudice against them. For argument's sake, look at the two groups that arguably currently face the most prejudice from white people - Muslims and blacks. Muslims blew up the twin towers, it will be a while before white people get over that one. Turn on the tv every night, and there is another black person on the news who just killed or raped someone, in numbers far disproportionate to population demographics. Meanwhile, look at Amish and Asians. Amish was addressed above. Similarly, you hardly ever see an Asian person doing something wrong, so most prior prejudices have gone away. I'm certainly not saying it is right, and this is an extremely simplified analysis, but if you give people reasons to perpetuate their prejudices, they will do it.

I think he means because the Amish don't do anything (other than driving a horse & buggy extremely slowly on the road) to piss people off to perpetuate the prejudice, so there really isn't much prejudice against them. For argument's sake, look at the two groups that arguably currently face the most prejudice from white people - Muslims and blacks. Muslims blew up the twin towers, it will be a while before white people get over that one. Turn on the tv every night, and there is another black person on the news who just killed or raped someone, in numbers far disproportionate to population demographics. Meanwhile, look at Amish and Asians. Amish was addressed above. Similarly, you hardly ever see an Asian person doing something wrong, so most prior prejudices have gone away. I'm certainly not saying it is right, and this is an extremely simplified analysis, but if you give people reasons to perpetuate their prejudices, they will do it.

I thought Reggie White was dead.

Justifying bigotry...same act different place.

I think you helped make my point. It depends on what you see in the media. It's not like white people are called financial terrorists whenever there is an Enron type scandal. And if there was, people know plenty of white people to dispel the stereotype.

That's not true for Muslims. There's little they can do to combat negative stereotypes from a world away.

Shorty, I owe you two pos reps.

I don't doubt that what he said was true is in fact true, but he's coming off as playing the role of the victim. Sorry, but the victims of 9/11 are the people that burned up in the towers. The victims of Major Hassan are the people he cowardly shot in the waiting room of a place they were seeking medical care. If he's upset about the unfair reputation his faith has attracted, then maybe needs to look at the source of that reputation. Specifically, the peaceful majority needs to push the vocal violents off the front page now and again. The large part of the problem is that mainstream America doesn't hear sufficient and regular condemnations of the bad guys by mainstream Islam. I understand that might be "Dog Bites Man", but if you're in a group with a peppering of prominent kooks, and the majority doesn't shout them down---don't be surprised when you get a reputation. That's how stuff works.

Don't bitch and whine at ME b/c someone else hijacked your religion. Bitch and whine at the hijackers.

Right article, wrong audience.

Do you think the Amish have a reputation for commiting uprovoked, violent acts against civilian targets? Why or why not?

I could be wrong; perhaps you have a trove of Amish people complaining about how people always suspect them of committing atrocities. If so, please post here. If not...then maybe....just maybe...you might be getting the point.

I don't doubt that what he said was true is in fact true, but he's coming off as playing the role of the victim. Sorry, but the victims of 9/11 are the people that burned up in the towers. The victims of Major Hassan are the people he cowardly shot in the waiting room of a place they were seeking medical care. If he's upset about the unfair reputation his faith has attracted, then maybe needs to look at the source of that reputation. Specifically, the peaceful majority needs to push the vocal violents off the front page now and again. The large part of the problem is that mainstream America doesn't hear sufficient and regular condemnations of the bad guys by mainstream Islam. I understand that might be "Dog Bites Man", but if you're in a group with a peppering of prominent kooks, and the majority doesn't shout them down---don't be surprised when you get a reputation. That's how stuff works.

Don't bitch and whine at ME b/c someone else hijacked your religion. Bitch and whine at the hijackers.

http://www.nj.com/opinion/times/oped/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1304919912280160.xml&coll=5

Muslim Americans do not condemn terrorism. A Google search would reveal that more than 500 Muslim American organizations condemned 9/11 terrorist attacks immediately, just as they have issued press releases applauding Osama bin Laden's death. Muslims took out full-page newspaper ads condemning 9/11. Still, the erroneous perception persists. Muslims condemn, but non-Muslim Americans remain oblivious. There is no mechanism to funnel all Muslim condemnation of Islamic terrorism to mainstream America.

Just because you don't read about it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened...time and time and time again.

As long as a large percentage of Americans want to think and act like bigoted idiots toward Muslims, this guy has plenty of room to bitch about it. People need to stop using 9/11 as an excuse to stereotype 1.5 billion people.

Last edited:
http://www.nj.com/opinion/times/oped/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1304919912280160.xml&coll=5

Muslim Americans do not condemn terrorism. A Google search would reveal that more than 500 Muslim American organizations condemned 9/11 terrorist attacks immediately, just as they have issued press releases applauding Osama bin Laden's death. Muslims took out full-page newspaper ads condemning 9/11. Still, the erroneous perception persists. Muslims condemn, but non-Muslim Americans remain oblivious. There is no mechanism to funnel all Muslim condemnation of Islamic terrorism to mainstream America.

Just because you don't read about it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened...time and time and time again.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but is the source of their bad reputation really a vexing mystery to a person admitted to Wake Law? If a significant enough portion of the Amish population declared holy war against the West, blew up our embassies, blew up night clubs overseas, blew up a Navy vessell, blew up Marine baracks, blew up Air Force baracks, shot up on Army medical clinic AND recruiting station (hey...look at that, a box set), committed a 9/11-like atrocity against civilian targets, shot women for the crime of reading and made them cover their faces, tried to blow up the WTC the first time, tried to blow up Times Square, tried to blow up airliners with printerbombs, airliners with shoebombs, trains in Spain and England, hell, tried to run over North Carolina college students with car on the sidewalk ("Take that, you hung over Infidels!")....do I really need to go on?...would you really want to hear bitching and moaning from a member of the Amish community about how they've got a bad rap?

Solve for X, dude.

As long as a large percentage of Americans want to think and act like bigoted idiots toward Muslims, this guy has plenty of room to bitch about it. People need to stop using 9/11 as an excuse to stereotype 1.5 billion people.

Where is the evidence that a "large" percentage want to "think and act like bigoted idiots" towards Muslims? One guy's op-ed?

In your mind, is 9/11 a one-off/"It could happen to anyone" moment, or simply the most prominent event in a long line of idiotic things?

I'm not equating the two, but pls don't think this phenomenon is limited to one group. For God's sake, there is an unconfirmed report of name-calling at one rally, and suddenly "the whole Tea Party hates black people."

I'm not saying you're wrong, but is the source of their bad reputation really a vexing mystery to a person admitted to Wake Law? If a significant enough portion of the Amish population declared holy war against the West, blew up our embassies, blew up night clubs overseas, blew up a Navy vessell, blew up Marine baracks, blew up Air Force baracks, shot up on Army medical clinic AND recruiting station (hey...look at that, a box set), committed a 9/11-like atrocity against civilian targets, shot women for the crime of reading and made them cover their faces, tried to blow up the WTC the first time, tried to blow up Times Square, tried to blow up airliners with printerbombs, airliners with shoebombs, trains in Spain and England, hell, tried to run over North Carolina college students with car on the sidewalk ("Take that, you hung over Infidels!")....do I really need to go on?...would you really want to hear bitching and moaning from a member of the Amish community about how they've got a bad rap?

Solve for X, dude.

That religion is way, way too big for them to be all lumped in together. You say Muslims like it's this street gang with a bad reputation. All the events you listed were perpetrated by splinter groups of extremists. When you hear about Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church pickiting funerals, do you just attribute that to "Christians"? No. Yet, people still keep attributing these acts of terrorism to a religion of over a billion people.

Back