• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

My 100 favorite songs

Well goddamn. I read your write up on #3, who I'd never heard of, on Wednesday and was running through the list of great bands that you continue to leave off in favor of more whining emotrash, and the last thing I thought was "this motherfucker doesn't even have Dire Straits in his top 100, that has to be the least controversial inclusion of anyone". And I'm not even a big Dire Straits fan. When I thought that, I was thinking Money For Nothing (which I'm assuming is now cancelled for PC reasons??), but Sultans of Swing is great too. At least you somewhat redeemed yourself with this pick.

Relax #1 is gonna be Uncle Kracker

I was coming here to post that side one of Making Movies is arguably the best album side ever, but I see it has been mentioned. carry on.

1. The Zombies - The Way I Feel Inside

I’m ending this list with what is unquestionably now and forever my favorite song. It’s 1:49 long, it’s got extremely low energy, and it’s sad. Rod Argent is a genius, though. The EP and first two Zombies albums are each masterpieces—I think Odessey and Oracle is up there with any Beatles or Stones LP.

I’m not ashamed to say I think this is the fourth song to make an appearance from Wes Anderson soundtracks. This song is played at the emotional core of my all time favorite movie, The Life Aquatic, when Bill Murray has to bury his son whom he’s essentially just learned about.

I think it was chosen because it’s about unrequited love and sadness, two of the major themes of the film, and because it’s just essentially beautiful. The song starts a capella and ends with the smallest key/organ flourish, and is one of the simplest compositions you’ll hear. I won’t go too deep today, we’ll end with not with a bang (that was yesterday) but with a soft slow fade. The song is a paradox, the guy won’t admit he loves the girl until he knows she loves him back. Nobody is essentially happy or sad, but I truly believe some lives are effectively lived in a minor key. And sometimes that essence is captured so perfectly, so wonderfully, I can only be in awe.

Thanks, Townie! That was a lot of fun.

I've had "Hold Your Head Up" in my head randomly for a couple weeks, so all in on some Argent love.

If folks don't know the first Colin Blunstone solo album, that is also amazing!

Also maybe it is just because the Band is on my mind, but whenever I hear Hold Your Head Up or Chest Fever I think of the other one. Must be the organs and something about that main theme/figure.

I've mainly just lurked, but thanks for all the write-ups, Townie. Not as into music as some of y'all and hadn't heard of some in your list. Discovered and learned a lot along the way. Thanks.

I’ll give it another listen, I feel bad for the other songs going against Sultans of Swing

I think it was WRS who mentioned the opening 3 songs on Making Movies are incredible (Tunnel of Love / R&J / Skateaway) and I agree

Yup that was me! Sultans of Swing does absolutely rock though. No argument there.

Down to the Waterline, Water of Love, Six Blade Knife, Sultans, In The Gallery, and Wild West End are all great cuts. I love that album.

Their Rockpalast around that time was super tight, too, though they do Sultans twice I think because he chunks the solo or something, I need to relisten. Pick Withers!

That is basically the set list of the live BBC album.

Nobody is essentially happy or sad, but I truly believe some lives are effectively lived in a minor key. And sometimes that essence is captured so perfectly, so wonderfully, I can only be in awe.
Love this, Townie. Thanks for this list and this thread.

aww, its over. thanks townie. i've effectively become a three thread poster the past five months between this, the wf baseball thread and occasional appearances on the video game thread. not sure what i'll do with my life now.

shit, how about someone else gets nominated to do a top X songs thread. i start with a nom of @OldGouldandBlack

aww, its over. thanks townie. i've effectively become a three thread poster the past five months between this, the wf baseball thread and occasional appearances on the video game thread. not sure what i'll do with my life now.

shit, how about someone else gets nominated to do a top X songs thread. i start with a nom of @OldGouldandBlack
+1 on Gould

Ok Townie. You missed the greatest lyric of all time so this list is tainted. Anyways, thanks for all that work. I would struggle to do a top 20. You listen to some weird shit but I was able to get a little learning. Good job!

Back