• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

My conspiracy theory regarding WF athletics.

zqglass

Reaction score
As I was laying in bed last night, I was thinking about the rampant cheating going on in college athletics these days (and the past few decades for that matter). Then I thought to myself "well, at least MY team has never resorted to cheating just for the sake of wins." Then a notion popped into my head. What if we WERE cheating during our best years?

The 2000's were by far the best decade WFU has ever seen in athletics. Soccer, golf, tennis, field hockey, football, and basketball were all competitive and championship contenders at various times during those years. Now 4 years into this decade we are struggling to compete in almost all of those sports. What if we were doing the same shit as UNC and Miami, but we were (naturally) smarter about it, and better at keeping the NCAA off our scent. Maybe at some point during those wonder years we almost got caught and that's what caused Wellman to develop a "quit while we're ahead" mentality. Ron, Nathan, and the BoT's sat down and collectively let out a big sigh of relief, clinked their scotch glasses, toasted the historic decade of success we had and began the process of covering their tracks i.e: "culture change".
We all know what that meant to our basketball program, and our talent level on the football field has deteriorated dramatically since our 06-08 run. We will probably never know half of the crazy shit that has gone on behind the scenes in our AD during these past few tumultuous years. But for some reason it helps to think that if we didn't invoke a culture change, we would sitting in the same undesirable place as schools like UNC, Miami, and Ohio State.

There isn't any evidence to my knowledge that points to us cheating during those glory years, this is just a theory I've constructed to help myself cope with our decline in athletics. But if we were in fact cheating and had the good sense to stop before we got caught, then I don't mind suffering through these past few seasons and until we can be successful again without doing so. I'm happy that (for now) I can look any UNC fan right in their face and call their school a bunch of no good cheaters, and they have absolutely nothing to say back to me.

Last edited:
I can't even comprehend what a field hockey cheating scandal would look like.

I can't even comprehend what a field hockey cheating scandal would look like.

pillow+fight+day+Vancouver.jpg

There isn't any evidence to my knowledge that points to us cheating during those glory years, this is just a theory I've constructed to help myself

Lead with this next time so I know when to stop reading.

we would sitting in the same undesirable place as schools like UNC, Miami, and Ohio State.

What undesirable places are these schools in? Fielding competitive teams while having "scandals" no one care about?

More likely that Wake success is bad for the ACC and we were told to know our role..... if you want to believe in a conspiracy theory.

What undesirable places are these schools in? Fielding competitive teams while having "scandals" no one care about?

I know you're just being simple palma, but ohio state went 12-0 in 2012 and was not allowed to participate in a bowl game.

I know you're just being simple palma, but ohio state went 12-0 in 2012 and was not allowed to participate in a bowl game.

We weren't allowed to participate in a bowl game either.

“When I was in college I can say I never received a benefit from Wake Forest or a booster,” Paul said. “At the time, I wondered why I wasn’t getting this and that, but I got used to it. I told myself I would work for it. Looking back I’m thankful I never received an extra benefit. I don’t owe anyone anything.”

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/755040.html

Two Deacs in that article by the way. Good read.

Back