• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

My new line-up ( gotta try SOMETHING )

Manning seems incredibly averse to changing the starting lineup, but he's shuffled minutes around pretty significantly. Dinos had over 20 minute in 11 of our first 13 games. He's played 20 or less in 4 of our last 7. Hudson saw a reduction in minutes after his poor play in January before he finally bounced back against FSU. Crawford has joined Devin as the only other max-minutes guy.

McClinton and VanHorn were all but dead and have been thrown back into the mix a bit after all the losses.

Mostly our guys are just playing shitty.

DM tried to give McClinton another chance and he promptly made a pathetic inbounds pass and got yanked, as he should have been. He plays like he is half asleep.

I'm not sure I like how JC and DT play together. I'm more of a fan of DT and DM on the court together. It's amazing how Moore runs the court, usually the first guy down.
I'd love to see an 8 min stretch out of
Crawford
Wilbekin (looking forward to seeing Woods next year)
Hudson
Thomas
Moore

If Wilbekin can't shoot straight then maybe Rondale instead.

I'd start the three freshmen, Hudson and Dinos. I'd talk to Devin about being the spark off the bench with his energy - it would take some solid coaching to have him buy in. I'd still play him a lot of minutes, but Moore would get at least 15 minutes and Collins at least 20 - at least.

At this point (even way before now), I don't care how our lineups match up with the opponent. If we suffer defensively (could we be worse), so be it. Moore and Collins have to play those amounts at a minimum.

The things which have improved are interior passing and spacing. I would like to see our young big guys learn how to set low post picks for each other. I was impressed that when DT and DM played together the opposition was forced to play Devin more straight up and he got some easy shots.

Benching Devin is right up there with playing Dinos or Collins at the 3 spot as my favorite armchair #hotcoachingtakes this year.

Completely agree on the Devin/Moore combo though. Originally Manning refused to play them together, but in the spot minutes they've gotten recently it just shows how Devin just isn't a true 5. Moore plays in the paint and above the rim. Devin is best when he's in some space and can use his quickness or if he has someone on him that he can out-muscle/out-work. Moore really struggles to box and rebound - Devin excels at it. Devin doesn't block many shots, Moore alters twice as many as he blocks and can change games when he's in.

I've noticed the fans start clapping whenever Moore stands up to head to the scorers table - Manning must have some kind of reasoning behind his minutes that he doesn't talk about, but it's hard to imagine what.

The talking heads here in Raleighwood on 99.9 The Fan, when they do say anything at all about WF, are as perplexed as we are as to "what's happened to WF since the solid non-conf start." :tard:

I like the posted lineup. Would play Moore of the bench quite a bit as well. It is stunning that Manning has not changed his starting lineup during such an extended loosing streak. He is either way smarter than all of us or way dumber. It seems like the first question a good coach would ask himself during a loosing streak is "what can I do differently?" I guess his answer was "nothing, stay the course."

I got a hunch Moore physically can't play any more than 5 minutes or so in a row. No excuse not to play him 2 5-min stretches during each half, but I don't think he can go any more than that.

I got a hunch Moore physically can't play any more than 5 minutes or so in a row. No excuse not to play him 2 5-min stretches during each half, but I don't think he can go any more than that.

I suspect you are right. Why not start him each half and set a different tone for the game? A couple dunks and a couple blocks might do that.

Benching Devin is right up there with playing Dinos or Collins at the 3 spot as my favorite armchair #hotcoachingtakes this year.

Completely agree on the Devin/Moore combo though. Originally Manning refused to play them together, but in the spot minutes they've gotten recently it just shows how Devin just isn't a true 5. Moore plays in the paint and above the rim. Devin is best when he's in some space and can use his quickness or if he has someone on him that he can out-muscle/out-work. Moore really struggles to box and rebound - Devin excels at it. Devin doesn't block many shots, Moore alters twice as many as he blocks and can change games when he's in.

I've noticed the fans start clapping whenever Moore stands up to head to the scorers table - Manning must have some kind of reasoning behind his minutes that he doesn't talk about, but it's hard to imagine what.

I imagine it's at least partly conditioning.

O.K., at this late juncture I'd like to SEE Doral get gassed after 8-10+ minutes. If he does then we'll know why he isn't getting those minutes.

What medical condition would cause this? There should be no 18-19 year old kid who could not play longer than that unless he had some kind of medical condition.

I think it is just a Manning choice.

The guy is 7 feet tall and 260 lbs. It could be knee problems, it could be asthma. Who the fuck knows. But given he played 7 minutes a game as a high school sr. and is playing less now, I think it is reasonable to believe his minutes are limited by something other than Coach Manning's preferences.

This line-up is for DeaconSig:

PG - Hudson
SG - Dinos
SF - Collins
PF - DT
C - Moore

Line is even. Vegas must have seen your lineup post, well done.

I'm not sure I like how JC and DT play together. I'm more of a fan of DT and DM on the court together. It's amazing how Moore runs the court, usually the first guy down.
I'd love to see an 8 min stretch out of
Crawford
Wilbekin (looking forward to seeing Woods next year)
Hudson
Thomas
Moore

If Wilbekin can't shoot straight then maybe Rondale instead.

They've struggled together on O when playing against man. However, I'd like to see this combo when teams play zone against us. They're both decent interior passers which opens up the ability to play some high-low. And when Collins catches the ball at the foul line, the defense at least has to respect his ability to knock down the 15 footer. I'm guessing Manning doesn't trust JC's decision making here but it's comical when CMM or McClinton play this spot. Defenses literally sag off cause they're not scared of either of them hitting an uncontested 15 footer. Unreal.

What medical condition would cause this? There should be no 18-19 year old kid who could not play longer than that unless he had some kind of medical condition.

I think it is just a Manning choice.

Being out of shape.

Believe it or not playing in the ACC takes a little more out of you than playing pickup at the Y. Setting aside skill for the moment I doubt many posters on this board could play much more than 10 minutes a game of college ball without passing out or hurting themselves.

Last edited:
Back